Red Sox deal 3 for Victor Martinez

The Goods

The Boston Red Sox have agreed to a deal to acquire All-Star slugger Victor Martinez from the Cleveland Indians in exchange for three players.

The Indians would receive right-hander Justin Masterson and minor league pitchers Nick Hagadone and Bryan Price in exchange for Martinez, a catcher/first baseman.

The Associated Press reported the trade had reached the agreement phase. Teams had until 4 p.m. ET to complete deals without waivers.

Meanwhile, sources tell ESPN's Peter Gammons that Boston has spun off first baseman Adam LaRoche in a trade to his former team, the Atlanta Braves. LaRoche will return to Atlanta in exchange for first baseman Casey Kotchman. The Red Sox reportedly view Kotchman as a better fit in a bench role, and the Braves are looking for more offense in LaRoche. He would have filled only a very limited role had LaRoche remained in Boston after the acquisition of Martinez.

The 30-year-old Martinez has split his time at catcher and first base this season. He is hitting .284 with 15 home runs and 67 RBIs.

Martinez gives the Red Sox, currently second in the AL East behind the New York Yankees, the big bat they were looking for.

The rebuilding Indians made their second big deal of the week, after trading reigning AL Cy Young Award winner Cliff Lee to Philadelphia for four prospects.

This marked the second straight year the Red Sox made a splash at the July 31 trade deadline. Last season, they dealt away Manny Ramirez and got Jason Bay.

In 2004, the Red Sox also made a last-minute deal, trading away popular Nomar Garciaparra and acquiring Orlando Cabrera to play shortstop. Boston went on to win the World Series that year.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=4369463

Wow...one of my friends is going ot the Indians game tomorrow and the Victor bobblehead day is tomorrow when Sandy Alomar is inducted into the Indians HOF. Talk about a let down.

I love what we got. We have the best prospects in baseball imo. Masterson will be a stud.

Wow...one of my friends is going ot the Indians game tomorrow and the Victor bobblehead day is tomorrow when Sandy Alomar is inducted into the Indians HOF. Talk about a let down.

I love what we got. We have the best prospects in baseball imo. Masterson will be a stud.

Plus Hagadone. A very nice deal for the Indians.