Fox Cancels: Breaking In, The Chicago Code, Human Target, Lie to Me and Traffic Light

Cobb

Didn't realize there were so many Lie To Me fans, very underrated show imo. Anyways as much as I hate to admit it all 5 shows were pretty mediocre viewers/product wise and this move paves the way for new blood. Smart move by Fox.

Fox is brutally clear-cutting under-performing shows from its lineup, cancelling five series tonight in order to make room for new shows next fall: "Human Target" was shot down for a third season, Christian Slater is now 0 for 3 as a TV series lead because "Breaking In" was dumped, "The Chicago Code" and "Lie to Me" were just taken out and "Traffic Light" was switched off.

The moves represent an aggressive stance by Fox, which is declining to sink any further investment in modestly performing titles and opting to gamble on fresh shows instead.

"Human Target" was finally axed after undergoing a trip back to the drawing board. Though the show was considerably revamped for this season, the actioner struggled to gain ground in the ratings.

EW.com: 'Idol' boosts 'Human Target', 'Minute' surprises

"Target" averaged 7.6 million viewers and a 2.2 rating in adults 18-49 this season, including DVR use, but was down from its first season average of 2.9. "Lie to Me" is also gone -- it averaged exactly the same as "Target," and dropped the same amount from last season.

Fox also pink-slipped "Breaking In," the freshman comedy about a security team that starred Slater. The show averaged a healthy 2.9 in the ratings due to a strong premiere, but more recent episodes fell off considerably despite following "American Idol."

Fellow post-"Idol" freshman straggler "Traffic Light" is also gone.

And bummer for Jennifer Beals: Her freshman cop drama "The Chicago Code" was also cancelled.

Creator Shawn Ryan retweeted the news and wrote: "Dammit."

The cancellations come on the heels of Fox giving a series orders to "Bones" spin-off "The Finder" and to J.J. Abrams' new prison mystery drama "Alcatraz." The network also picked up two new comedies starring Zooey Deschanel and Jaime Pressly.

http://www.cnn.com/2011/SHOWBIZ/TV/05/11/fox.cancels.shows.ew/