Doc Rivers agrees to 5 yr/35mill extension

Doc Rivers will be with the Celtics for at least five more years.

The team's director of basketball operations, Danny Ainge, told CSNNE's Greg Dickerson that Rivers has reached agreement on a five-year contract extension. Adrian Wojnarowski of Yahoo! Sports reports that the Celtics will pay Rivers $35 million over that period.

http://www.csnne.com/05/13/11/Breaking-news-Rivers-agrees-to-5-year-ex/landing_celtics.html?blockID=522084&feedID=3352

Woj has confirmed it over Twitter. Looks like the Celtics may have overpaid to keep him, but still is a very solid move. I can't imagine any other person coaching the big three, and I think it's great that he's staying long term, Rondo must be pleased with this.

• Owner

Why? Boston isn't winning another championship with the core they have right now, and Boston isn't exactly the best city to attract free agents.

I think Doc could've done a little more exploring, but yeah, it's also about the money, and the Celtics wrote the big check.

I understand why they wanted to resign him, but I don't understand why he would sign for 5 years? Especially when you wanted to retire last year.

I was thinking the exact same thing.