Memphis with a healthy Rudy Gay next year

4 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I'm hearing a lot of different opinions regarding this Memphis team. Some people are saying they should trade him because he's a ball stopper and limits the effectiveness of Tony Allen and Shane Battier on defense, while others are saying he will just add another dimension on offense and a legitimate closer to this team. What do you think? Should they use him as a trade piece this offseason and see what they can get for him (which will also free up space to sign Marc Gasol over the summer)?

They will be better, but not a championship contender, if thats makes sense? The Memphis offense really needs Rudy Gay in their 3 losses they averaged 91 points and their 3 wins 103 points (w/o the triple overtime game of course) if they can find of healthy balance of Gay Allen and Battier subbing at the 2 and 3 then they could be a championship contender, but they def need Rudy Gay's offense...

They need him if they want to move forward. They had a great year/ run in the playoffs but they reason they lost was because they didn't have the scoring power that was needed to beat a team like the Thunder. Gay can spread the floor, and can get to the rim. Yes he takes minutes away from players like Allen and Battier but its not like he is a bad defender and is a liability on that side of the floor. Also remember the fact that Battier is a free agent after this season. I think they will be able to sign Marc, because the Griz organization has finally open their eyes and started to sign players they need to keep around. I also feel he is a smart guy and sees the potential this team has; I cant see him running after every dollar.

I have mixed feelings. The team's turnout without Gay surprised the hell out of me, and proved to me the Grizzlies could be a winning team without him. With that said, the Grizzlies have no body that can bring that skill set, an athletic player that can shoot the three, and bring 20 points consistently every night. I think the Grizzlies should experiment with this. A fully healthy, confident Grizzlies team has the potential to be a Western Conference Finalist with some luck here and there.

What's wrong with OJ Mayo? Get rid of him while he still has SOME value..

As for Gay, mixed feelings for me as well. I remember Grizzlies fans saying once that they are better without him, but I didn't watch much of Memphis during the regular season to know.

Edited by Legacy

It's evident that they can strive without Gay, I'm not too certain that they'll strive with Gay in the line up but I think it's a risk they have got to take a shot at to be honest.

First I want to give this Grizzlies team hug props. I doubted them going into the playoffs but they sure made me eat crow. (I'm just now coming off of suicide watch).

Anyway IMo they are no doubt better with Gay in te line-up. They need that perimeter scorer and Gay can be that guy. The only problem I see is there is kind of a log jame at the 2-3. Shane Battier is a FA this year as well as Marc Gasol (Restricted). The Grizz will most likely have to over pay Gasol if they want to keep him, and for a small market team that won't leave much money for Battier.

Mayo, Henry, Battier, Gay, Allen, Young... is there enough minutes for all of them?

The maturity Mayo showed while dealing with a very turbulent season makes me believe that he should be a core piece going forward. It's also going to be tough to trade Gay with his contract. Who are the Grizz going to get back? Rashard Lewis or Gilbert Arenas?

How about trying out Gay as a sixth man? He's not a great shooter and his iso game clashes with Memphis' post philosophy. Mayo can work off the ball some, stretches the floor with his range, and really D's up. The Grizz can start Allen at the three and have Gay as the first man off the bench.

They can also trade Mayo as they may not have the cap room to sign him the season after next. One thing Memphis does have is some depth on the wing so they can take the loss of Mayo if they bring back a productive player.

They should keep him, and he should start. The only thing that needs to be changed from previous years with him in the lineup is continue to make the focal point of the offense the post. Gay can still get his fair share of iso's, and he can work off Randolph/Gasol's post-play far more effectively than Tony Allen and Shane Battier. He just needs a chance to get comfortable playing off of Randolph and Gasol, and he certainly has the ability and style of play to make it work...it's just up to Hollins to develop a system that Gay will have to get acclimated in.