Yao Ming says ankle shows progress ; wants to stay in Houston

Dash

Yao Ming said Thursday "everything looks good" with his surgically-repaired left ankle and he remains hopeful he can remain with the Rockets.

Yao said his latest doctor visit this week showed progress with the ankle and he should have a better idea in August about his availability for next season.

"We'll know more in a couple of months," Yao said during an appearance at Hunters Creek Elementary in west Houston.

Yao, who can become an unrestricted free agent July 1, said he would like to remain with the Rockets.

"I'd like to be here," Yao said. "Nowhere else is better than Houston for me right now."

"The only issue is my injury."

Yao played in only five games last season and required surgery to repair a stress fracture in his left ankle.

The 7-foot-6 center has had his career derailed by injuries the past few years, most notably to his left foot and ankle.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/bk/bkn/7571678.html#ixzz1MoVxB4sq

Regardless of whether we decide to rebuild or not, resigning Yao to a cheaper contract is definitely worthwhile. Use him as a backup like Yugo suggested or keep him around as a mentor for Thabeet and other potential Rockets in the draft/free agency.

I still think we can be a top 5-6 seed in the West with Yao back and a small forward. I remember earlier in the season, signing Tayshaun Prince in free agency was a popular move on this board. I wouldn't mind going in that direction in case DeAndre Jordan passes up on us.

"Are you convinced you are going to end up still being a Rocket."

Yao: "I'd like to be. Look at this neighbor. There's no better place to be than Houston. For me."

:wub:

• Owner

On his ankle or him staying in Houston?

Well, it may not be up to him to stay in Houston.

I just don't believe his ankle is showing progress...or, enough progress to matter, at least. He's going to have to be healthier than he was back in October.

If I were the Rockets not sure I'd want him tbh, Nothing against Yao, I thought he was the best C in the league, better than Dwight if healthy, but he really is just not worth the headache of, will we have him, will we not have, is he healthy, blah blah blah. There comes a time you just have to accept that it's over...Why take away minutes from players who could use the PT to help develop as well?

• Owner

I think that, even if he were healthy, Yao is not as good as Dwight. It's not that Yao has lost his touch, or hasn't improved enough...it's more about how Dwight has probably surpassed Yao in every aspect of the game but shooting the ball. He's actually a more efficient scorer, has proven he can score when he wants, rebounds better, is leaps and bounds the better defender (while Yao improved, it's not even close, and will never be), and quite possibly a better leader, and this is me pretending Yao is at full health.

I mean, people didn't poke at Shaq for not being able to shoot jumpers (just made fun of him over his free throws, but they didn't consider him worse than Hakeem because of it, especially after Shaq proved Hakeem couldn't defend him), so I can't do the same here. Dwight has reached a level of play that I don't think Yao would ever get to, even at full health. Ming may have the more rounded offensive game, as far as skillset goes, but that only gets you so far. LeBron is considered better than the older Kobe these days because he's more dominant at the rim...but we all know that Kobe has about 500,000 more post moves, and ways to score outside of the post, than LeBron, and far better footwork. Hakeem was incredible, so difficult to figure out, but Shaq was too dominant under the rim, and people consider him the greater center because of it.

I still love Yao, and I wish he was fully healthy because he was a very talented center, and a complete "good guy" for the NBA...but things just didn't work out, and I doubt they will now.

Well, it may not be up to him to stay in Houston.

I just don't believe his ankle is showing progress...or, enough progress to matter, at least. He's going to have to be healthier than he was back in October.

Rockets management has repeatedly expressed a desire to resign Yao. Its a matter of whether Yao wants to stay in Houston for another couple of years, which apparently he does.

Can't disagree with you there but this time around Yao will likely be playing 15-20 minutes.

If I were the Rockets not sure I'd want him tbh, Nothing against Yao, I thought he was the best C in the league, better than Dwight if healthy, but he really is just not worth the headache of, will we have him, will we not have, is he healthy, blah blah blah. There comes a time you just have to accept that it's over...Why take away minutes from players who could use the PT to help develop as well?

Because the only young player Yao will be taking minutes away from would be Hasheem Thabeet.

I'm not ready to say that its over, with Yao the Rockets have a legitimate shot at winning every year. Granted every year up until now has ended in failure but Yao is the only superstar we have, and I'm not big on depending on luck in the lottery. Minnesota has been the bottom 5 for the past 4 years and never moved up. I do not want to end up like them.

I think that, even if he were healthy, Yao is not as good as Dwight. It's not that Yao has lost his touch, or hasn't improved enough...it's more about how Dwight has probably surpassed Yao in every aspect of the game but shooting the ball. He's actually a more efficient scorer, has proven he can score when he wants, rebounds better, is leaps and bounds the better defender (while Yao improved, it's not even close, and will never be), and quite possibly a better leader, and this is me pretending Yao is at full health.

I mean, people didn't poke at Shaq for not being able to shoot jumpers (just made fun of him over his free throws, but they didn't consider him worse than Hakeem because of it, especially after Shaq proved Hakeem couldn't defend him), so I can't do the same here. Dwight has reached a level of play that I don't think Yao would ever get to, even at full health. Ming may have the more rounded offensive game, as far as skillset goes, but that only gets you so far. LeBron is considered better than the older Kobe these days because he's more dominant at the rim...but we all know that Kobe has about 500,000 more post moves, and ways to score outside of the post, than LeBron, and far better footwork. Hakeem was incredible, so difficult to figure out, but Shaq was too dominant under the rim, and people consider him the greater center because of it.

I still love Yao, and I wish he was fully healthy because he was a very talented center, and a complete "good guy" for the NBA...but things just didn't work out, and I doubt they will now.

Its not a fair comparison. Dwight has had 5 straight healthy seasons unlike Yao, who spends 95% of his time getting healthy and then getting in shape. I still think Yao could have been the better offensive player of the two but his development stopped somewhere between 2006-2007.

Anyways once Dwight gets his championship ring, he better send one to Hakeem.

Edited by Dash