Parker: Spurs No Longer Championship Contenders

Tony Parker says that age has finally caught up with the Spurs.

"At the start of the season I said this was our last chance," he said.

"Tim and Gino (Manu Ginobili) are getting old. It's going to be tough to regenerate ourselves.

"We will always have a good team but we can no longer say that we're playing for a championship."

http://www.fiba.com/pages/eng/fc/news/inte/p/newsid/46841/arti.html

From the cheating, to the rumors of him wanting to go to NYC, and now this makes me think he wants out of San Antonio.

Here's a follow up to Parkers comments....

Buford Not Concerned With Parker's Fading Title Hopes

Spurs general manager R.C. Buford was at the NBA’s pre-draft combine in Chicago on Thursday when he heard that point guard Tony Parker this week said the Spurs, as constituted, aren’t capable of contending for an NBA championship.

“Who knows what the motivation is to say something like that,” Buford said. “I’m not going to get caught up in comments. All I can say is that we’re going to continue to build our team and try to be as good as we can be in the future.”

At a press conference in Paris early this week Parker was asked about the Spurs and their disappointing finish to a 61-win season.

The French sports publication L’Equipe quoted Parker on his concern about the team’s ability to remain among the NBA’s legitimate title contenders.

http://blog.mysanantonio.com/spursnation/2011/05/20/buford-spurs-not-caught-up-in-parker%E2%80%99s-pessimism/

Since when speaking the truth has become dumb ? I can understand to some extent that people do not like this kind of comments, as players have to show faith to their team and to do all what they can to make it as good as it can be but let's be realistic here, Parker just said what most of us think about the Spurs now. Who, among all the NBA fan, still think that the Spurs stand a chance to win a ring with the Duncan-Parker-Ginobili big three ? I doubt that one person still has faith in that team (well except Spurs fans maybe)...

The Spurs have surprised all of us this year. No one before the beginning of the season thought that they would end the season as the best in the West. They showed us that they could still play. But for what ? Getting eliminated in the first round... Fourth 1st seed to ever be eliminated in the first round. That shows who they really are now. I personally never believed in that team, I said it in many posts all season long, so that doesn't surprise me at all. I would have rather thought that they would have been eliminated in the second round though.. But still it's not surprising to me.

Let's face it Duncan is now no longer in his prime. And cannot carry the Spurs the way he used to do. Ginobili is slowing getting out of his prime either and can only decreason from now on. Yet the Spurs need a leader. Just like everyone else for that matter, you cannot win in the playoffs without a leader, a go to guy, someone to give the ball to when it matters. Parker is the only one among the three stars who is still at his top, but the fact is that Parker is not a leader and never will be. He cannot carry the team like Duncan used to. Parker is at best a second leader. And, even if their teammates ain't as old as they used to be, none of them has the potential to become a superstar. Even a star IMO... Therefore if the Spurs do not get the leader that they need this summer they will not have a chance to win the ring. The Spurs will not win a ring until they get that leader.

So I honestly do not see anything wrong with what Parker said, he didn't insult anyone, he is just speaking the truth about his team and nothing more.

To win a ring you need a superstar (Pistons in 04 are the exception), and the Spurs no longer have one. Duncan used to be that guy, but he's just another player now incapable of carrying a team. Parker and Manu are All-Star players too but they can't carry the team to a ring either.

They've done well by drafting Hill and Blair, and finding Neal, but the team may need a makeover.

It makes sense that Parker would think about it like that. The Spurs are facing the same situation the Mavs faced after they were beaten in the Finals and then the first round by the Warriors the next year. They better rebuild the team fast or they're not gonna be contending for a playoff spot next season

• 4 weeks later...

It's still extremely foolish to believe this team doesn't have a prayer to win a title in the next year or two. Perfect example is this years Dallas Mavericks, they were eliminated by the 7th seed Spurs the year before, everyone said they were done and too old. Well they made some simple roster adjustments in the offseason and you know the rest.

Spurs will make roster adjustments I'm sure of it, and they could very well still be a contending team next year.