Cupcakes Banned From Mansfield High School

• Owner

They removed the snack and pop machines at my old high school back in 2004, two years after I graduated, and replaced them with sandwich and juice machines. Also, they took out what was called the "Snack Shack" (where we would get stuffed crust pizza, chicken strips, etc) and added a salad and sub sandwich bar as a second option (first option was obviously the school lunch).

I don't even know why this is newsworthy. This has been going on for a while now, and banning cupcakes is far less serious than regulating what you eat for lunch every single day, especially when the school doesn't have an "open lunch" option.

• Like 2

They removed the snack and pop machines at my old high school back in 2004, two years after I graduated, and replaced them with sandwich and juice machines. Also, they took out what was called the "Snack Shack" (where we would get stuffed crust pizza, chicken strips, etc) and added a salad and sub sandwich bar as a second option (first option was obviously the school lunch).

I don't even know why this is newsworthy. This has been going on for a while now, and banning cupcakes is far less serious than regulating what you eat for lunch every single day, especially when the school doesn't have an "open lunch" option.

My high school did that same shit my senior year, no surprise its catching on. It really matter to us because we could go off campus for lunch.

So people bitch all the time about how America is so unhealthy, obese, and fat, and then once a move comes to try to be healthy, you complain about that too?

They aren't "unhealthy". There are very few foods that are "unhealthy". It's all about moderation. There's no such thing as "clean" and "dirty" foods.

They aren't "unhealthy". There are very few foods that are "unhealthy". It's all about moderation. There's no such thing as "clean" and "dirty" foods.

They are unhealthy, tell me 100 grams of sugar is good for you. Whether it be in moderation or not, it's still bad for you. Don't try to be a health version of mutli-billionaire

• Like 1

• Owner

I don't think the schools should be allowed to make unhealthy foods available to kids in school...but at the same time, you shouldn't be allowed to stop a student from bringing what he wants to eat for lunch. There's a difference between the school and parents.

If a student brings a cupcake for lunch, the school needs to turn their head. One big reason for this is because of me, being a diabetic, I needed to do things like this back when I had gym class right before lunch. I needed the sugar.

As far as providing it for the students, in candy machines and what-not, it's fine to avoid that, but they shouldn't be able to regulate what you eat for lunch if that student is packing it.

When I student observed at an elementary school this past year, I wanted to bring in cupcakes and cookies for my last day for the kids.. wasn't allowed. I'm kind of glad that America is trying to get healthy, but it's a definite school party bummer.

They are unhealthy, tell me 100 grams of sugar is good for you. Whether it be in moderation or not, it's still bad for you. Don't try to be a health version of mutli-billionaire

What you said made zero sense at all. You gave an exact number, and then mentioned moderation in the same sentence. That made absolutely zero sense considering you offered a specific number. If you have 100 grams of sugar, you have 100 grams of sugar. There is no moderation with a specific number.

Eating 3500 calories cupcakes is not healthy for you because of the excess amount one would be consuming. However, if you decide to eat 1500 grams of skinless, boneless chicken, 600 calories of oats, 400 calories of bread, and then1,000 calories worth of candy or cupcakes, there is nothing wrong with that.

Have you ever lifted weights before, or studied anything regarding nutrition? I know I don't even have to ask because it's obviously a "no" with what you are saying.

Maybe you should actually learn what you are talking about before you post.

Edited by EastCoastNiner

What you said made zero sense at all. You gave an exact number, and then mentioned moderation in the same sentence. That made absolutely zero sense considering you offered a specific number. If you have 100 grams of sugar, you have 100 grams of sugar. There is no moderation with a specific number.

Eating 3500 calories cupcakes is not healthy for you because of the excess amount one would be consuming. However, if you decide to eat 1500 grams of skinless, boneless chicken, 600 calories of oats, 400 calories of bread, and then1,000 calories worth of candy or cupcakes, there is nothing wrong with that.

Have you ever lifted weights before, or studied anything regarding nutrition? I know I don't even have to ask because it's obviously a "no" with what you are saying.

Maybe you should actually learn what you are talking about before you post.

Nah, bro. I played 10 years of centerfield baseball weighing 280 pounds. What is a weight room?

Banning certain foods from school won't make you healthier, you will just eat a cupcake when you get home or somewhere else.

Im guilty though, I am working out and haven't been touching any sweets and ice cream and stuff, but those two-bite cupcakes from Publix are my weakness. I ate an entire box by myself, which is about 16 mini cupcakes. So yea, you can't restrain someone from eating a certain food, if they want it, they will get it somehow.

This is so [expletive]ing stupid. Telling people what they can and can't eat, however old they are is just [expletive]ing retarded.

you can still eat whatever you want when you're not at school. i can tell you what you can and can't eat at my home or in my car. who the [expletive] likes cupcakes anyway? real cake is superior.

It's not like it'll hurt the case. But you probably don't have enough intelligence to put two things together.

No, you're totally right. Cup cakes are the biggest culprit in the war against obesity. Children who eat cupcakes are 75% more likely to be obese than those who don't! I guarantee it!

I can see the good reason why they banned cupcakes. Heck even my high school changed up things. Instead of regular chips, they started selling those baked chips (that actually taste so nasty). Soda was no longer sold. There were certain unhealthy foods sold like personal pizzas and cookies, but they also added in healthy alternatives like salad..and lots of people bought salad for lunch ever since it was added onto the menu. So this is no surprise to me and I don't see what's wrong with it. Thing is.. kids will always find ways to get their hands on unhealthy foods anyway, like at home. So....who knows how much this could help things.

I don't see the point of banning it. The only time anyone ever brings cupcakes to school is for parties and birthdays, and even then students probably only eat one.

It's beyond ridiculous how they can ban cupcakes. I hated how my school switched all of their breads to whole wheat (which is not bad when cooked properly), but it was never cooked well, and was chewy as heck,

So, I would love to hear the reasoning behind banning cupcakes, but not the following which are just off the top of my head.

-French fries, chicken nuggets, pizza, cookies, burgers, mozzarella sticks, hot dogs, corn dogs, taco's, and nacho's?

I could see why they would ban cupcakes if they offered them in the lunch menu on a daily basis, but most of the time it's just parents bringing cupcakes for the entire class on their child's birthday, and they usually only have 1 or 2 at most. A cupcake once in a while seems okay to me