Official Houston Rockets draft thread

Dash

Well I guess it was about time I started one. I'll try to keep it as updated as I can.

To kick it off, here are a few mocks.

#14- Houston Rockets

Will Consider: Tobias Harris, Tristan Thompson, Chris Singleton, Jordan Hamilton

The Rockets started Shane Battier for much of the year at small forward, and then traded him at the deadline for Hasheem Thabeet. The team seems to have just one 3 on their roster at the moment in Chase Budinger, and no combo forward who can match up with the face-up 4s we see quite a bit out west. Harris has considerable upside at just 18 years old and will be able to fit in culturally right away into the team's locker room. He's smart enough to internalize everything that's thrown at him, and has one of the better work ethics of any player in this draft.

From DraftExpress.com http://www.draftexpress.com/article/Post-NBA-Draft-Lottery-Analysis-The-Implications-3706/#ixzz1MsDV97DF

14 Houston Rockets

Tobias Harris SF/PF

18 years old; 6'8"; 210 lbs

Tennessee, freshman

Houston's biggest need appears to be small forward, especially after trading Shane Battier(notes), who acted as the Rockets' starter for most of the year. Tobias Harris will remind some of Battier with his outstanding work ethic, basketball IQ and demeanor. He's a bit stuck between positions at the moment, but he's got plenty of upside.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_ylt=AmRvhsXKU0zgvj67p9Os2LK8vLYF?slug=ycn-8493201

14. Houston Rockets: Chris Singleton, SF, Florida State

If you draft Singelton here on the edge of the Lottery, you fully expect him to become a lockdown defender and I think you will get that from him. He needs a little work on his help fundamentals, but he’ll be very good right away on-ball and should be able to contain the Kevin Durants in the world, which is what any team in the Western Conference must think about in terms of choosing their small forward personnel. He won’t provide much support offensively, but he does have a jumper that is better in terms of results than aesthetics.

Read more: http://basketball.realgm.com/article/213751/2011_NBA_Mock_Draft_(Post_Lottery_Edition)#ixzz1MsGDoCEJ

Personally I'd like to see us come out with Donatas Motiejunas, he's got the potential to become a very good NBA player and would do well with Yao Ming/Caroll Dawson as mentors. If he lasts past the top 10 then the Jazz have been said to be very interested in him and will certainly take him at #12. I wonder if we could move up somewhere in the #9-#11 pick range by packaging the 14th and 23rd picks.

If we stay where we are then I would like to pick up Chris Singleton. Givony seems to like Tobias Harris a lot so I guess I wouldn't mind him either. For the 23rd pick, Lucas Nogueira and Tyler Honeycutt. Two very raw players with potential.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

UConn star Kemba Walker measured at 5-11 3-4 without shoes. Houston, Detroit anf Phoenix showing most interest in him.

http://twitter.com/#!/GeryWoelfel/status/71253623878856706

Absolutely no way Kemba would last till the 14th pick, Rockets will have to move up if they really want him but I hope that doesn't mean losing Lowry.

Surprise, surprise the Rockets are showing interest in another player that plays a position we're currently stacked on.

Don't be surprised if Portland, which has the 21st pick, tries to move up, perhaps to land Colorado shooting guard Alec Burks. Milwaukee (10), Charlotte (9) and Houston (14) are also big Burks' fans. Burks, by the way, has the ideal shooting guard size, measuring 6-6 in shoes, 6-5 without. ...

http://www.journaltimes.com/sports/article_4d9ebc94-828b-11e0-bb3e-001cc4c002e0.html

I've been intrigued with Jeremy Tyler before the combine and its no surprise to me that the Rockets are showing interest especially after his performance last week.

Jeremy Tyler continued to wow NBA teams on Friday with his athleticism, physical profile and defense. He measured out as the second-biggest player at the combine. He was 6-11, 260 with a huge 7-5 wing and a 9-2 standing reach. Tyler told me he believed he'll have a 40-inch vertical, which is a fantastic number for a player his size. His measurements are on par with Cole Aldrich's and just below DeAndre Jordan's. Tyler also scored very high marks from NBA teams on his interviews. His offensive game is still a work in progress and there are still some skeletons in his closet from his botched season in Israel. But on sheer physical upside, Tyler played himself into a possible first-round pick with his week here. A number of teams, including the Knicks, Nuggets, Rockets and Spurs, are giving him a look in the first.

I would be okay with picking Tyler with our 23rd pick.

Rockets have been rumored to be enamored with Fredette earlier in the season and they have a workout with him scheduled.

BYU's Jimmer Fredette was a hot topic at the camp. He didn't really stand out in the drills on Thursday or Friday, but he was a major hit in interviews. A number of teams told me Fredette was the best interview they had and came away convinced that all of his celebrity had not gone to his head. "He's a humble, hard-working kid. You can't help but like him," one NBA executive said. "After the interview, I wanted to go up and hug him," another scout said. While nothing in Chicago helped quell the furious debate about what sort of NBA player he'll be, he made an impression. Fredette's first workout will be with the Knicks in early June. He's also got workouts planned with the Jazz, Suns, Rockets, Pacers and Blazers. It's still too early to get a read on where he'll ultimately land … but if Utah takes a big with its first pick (No. 3) he'll be seriously in the mix when they pick again at No. 12.

Jordan Hamilton also linked to the Rockets. I think he would make a decent pick at 14 but a Hamilton-Budinger tandem would be rather redundant because both are gunslingers and neither play much defense. The difference between the two as prospects is that Hamilton is oozing with potential and could be a #2 or #3 option if developed.

I expect we'll be seeing Texas' Jordan Hamilton rising on boards in the next few weeks. NBA scouts have always loved his talent. They believe he's one of the few guys in this draft who could average 20 ppg in the NBA. He measured well for a small forward (6-8 with an 8-8 standing reach) and I'm told he was very good in interviews. If teams feel confident that he'll mature and quit taking crazy shots, he's a very interesting prospect who could go as high as the Kings at No. 7. The Bobcats, Warriors, Suns and Rockets also have major interest.

http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/blog?name=nba_draft&id=6578427&action=login&appRedirect=http%3a%2f%2finsider.espn.go.com%2fnba%2fblog%3fname%3dnba_draft%26id%3d6578427

Sam Amick is reporting that the Rockets are interested in moving up for Kawhi Leonard or Enes Kanter.

He lasted approximately 21 minutes on a brutal treadmill test that includes steep inclines, declines and sprints, putting himself atop the big man class when it comes to being dedicated about his body.

"He went 21-plus minutes on the treadmill test, and only five guys -- plus Enes -- [did that] and four of them were guards," Ergul told SI.com. "[NBA officials] said that was the first time in the draft in modern history that had happened, that no 6-11-plus guys ever finished 21-minutes-plus on the treadmill test ... People don't realize how prepared this kid is, how dedicated he is."

As was reported here on Thursday, Houston (14th, 23rd picks) is interested in moving up in the draft. The source with knowledge of the Rockets' desires said they are hoping to do so to either nab Kanter or perhaps San Diego State small forward, Kawhi Leonard.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/writers/sam_amick/05/23/predraft.camp.wrap/index.html

I would be okay with moving up for Leonard only if the price was right but for Kanter, do whatever it takes.

Chad Ford mock draft 3.0

14. Houston

Jordan Hamilton

Position: SF

Height: 6-9

Weight: 229

School: Texas

Analysis: Hamilton was another player who really impressed in Chicago. His size and ability to shoot the basketball combined with his aggressive scoring instincts should fit well in Houston. Since trading away Shane Battier, small forward has been a need.

23. Houston

(via Orlando)

Reggie Jackson

Position: PG

Height: 6-3

Weight: 208

School: Boston College

Analysis: Kyle Lowry is coming off a career year, but Jackson would give them a very different look. Jackson is a terrific athlete, has a ridiculous 7-foot wingspan and shot the lights out his junior year. He has virtually every quality you look for in a modern NBA point guard and would likely be a good complement to Lowry.

Reggie Jackson has been impressing a lot of teams, dude has a great NBA body and a good work ethic to go along with it. Apparently the Celtics have promised to that they will take him at the 25th pick if he was available. Jackson would be the 3rd point guard on the roster and gives the Rockets a backup plan for next season when Goran Dragic's contract expires. Dragic has been very impressive and I hope that he's a Rocket for many years to come but if he's going to cost the Rockets a big contract to keep him around then it might be time to move on from him, and play a much cheaper backup to Lowry. However, I am still much in favor of taking an international prospect at this pick and stashes him away in Europe for a few years.

Something to take note of is that Ford has Donatas Motiejunas dropping all the way to the 20th pick. Hamilton wouldn't be a bad pick for the Rockets but it would be tough for them to pass up on a center oozing with potential like Motiejunas.

Edit: also Ford lists his top 5 prospects for the 2nd round and ranks Lucas Nogueira (assuming he was ranking them instead of placing them in a random order) as going 34th. Nogueira is an extremely raw prospect out of Brazil but he's got great potential to be a defensive anchor in the NBA, if he slips a bit further to the Rockets at #36 then that would be a HUGE steal.

Edited by Dash

AdamZagoria

Tobias Harris will work out for every team in the lottery except Minny, Phoenix and Sacramento, per his father

Matt McCoy MattMcCoyWTVN

Plain Dealer on David Lighty at NBA pre-draft camp. Workouts with Spurs, Bulls, Celtics & Rockets already scheduled http://bit.ly/jDKoEm

Houston

Marcus Morris May 26

Andrew Goudelock June 16

http://thehoopsreport.com/workouts.aspx?action=Houston

Tito in Sta Monica:

Hi Mr. Givony! How are you? What do you think of brazilian big Lucas Nogueira??

Jonathan Givony:

Tudo bom? I like him, as you can see by reading his profile: http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Lucas-Nogueira-5957/ He's a couple of years away from being ready to play in the NBA, but if the team that drafts him does a good job developing him, he could be a guy that ultimately significantly outperforms his draft position. There needs to be a plan in place, though, and plenty of patience while he comes along. That means he's definitely not for every GM, and certainly not for every head coach.

Read more NBA news and insight: http://www.hoopsworld.com/chat.asp?chat_topics_id=1651#ixzz1NPFMy5ZU

I think it was also Givony who said a few weeks back that the Rockets were well known by prospects for their success at developing players. It makes you wonder if Houston is one of the destinations that Nogueira desires to end up.

The Morris twins just worked out in Houston.

HOUSTON - The Morris twins, Marcus and Markieff, are inseparable, from their hot shot days in Philadelphia, all the way to three largely dynamic years at Kansas.

And the twosome arrived in Houston Tuesday night determined to prove to the Rockets they can separate themselves from other potential first round candidates.

"Show them I'm a hard worker, versatile like everyone else knows, and I would love to be in Houston," Marcus Morris told FOX 26 Sports, on what he hopes to show the Rockets in the individual workouts.

"Just be able to score the basketball more," Markieff Morris told FOX 26. "I was a defender and a rebounder at Kansas and I'll continue to do that in the league.

"They just want to see me go as hard as possible and want to see definitely if I'm in shape."

The identical twins, both 6-10 in the 235-240 pound range, do not carry identical games.

Marcus, a First TeamAll-American last season and the Big 12's player of the year, is considered the stronger prospect, with a broader and deeper game, a higher NBA ceiling.

"Just be able to get out on the wing a little bit and stretch the defense," Marcus said about how he plans to transition to the Association.

"Be able to create offense for myself. At Kansas there were times I was able to create, but not as much as I know I can."

The Morris twins have never not played on the same team. Never.

Right now the Rockets hold two first-round selections, the No. 14 and No. 23 picks. Maybe they keep this brother act together and draft them both.

"Yeah, I hope so," Marcus Morris said. "But I don't see either one of us falling that late."

Markieff Morris certainly understands it will difficult, at best, for the two brothers to be on the same in the NBA.

"Changes have to be made," Markieff Morris said of the likelihood of them going their separate NBA ways.

"And if we both don't play on the same team, we're grown men and ready for that next step."

http://www.myfoxhouston.com/dpp/sports/nba/110525-rockets-morris-twins-from-kansas-get-together

The Lottery should have a few curve balls this year as the draft class is weak but deep and no players out of the top 5 really separated themselves thus far at the NBA combine or indo workouts.

(Be realisitic ex: we won't get Derrick Williams, Enes Kanter, or Brandon Knight unless we trade up)

Should Rockets try to trade up? If so for who and to where?Unless they think they can get Kanter then no.

What are some possible selections the Rockets could make with their two first round picks (14th 23rd)?

Examples:

14th 7" C Dontatas Mtiejunas(Immediate help)

23rd 6"8 SF/SG Tyler Honeycutt (Potential)

14th 6'2 PG/SG Jimmer Fredette (Best Available)

23rd 7" C Lucas Nogueira (Need and Potential)

Witch two players would help the most or make the most sense and why?

Dontatas Mitiejunas would make the most sense to me if he fall that low (I am hoping) He is a 7 Center witch feels a team need who is stronger then most young Euro players and he has a sweet stroke and offensive game to go along with shot blocking skills on D. I like Tyler Honeycutt's versatility and athleticism. He will be available at 23 and has stupid upside, is an unselfish player that some scouts say his best attribute is his court vision and passing at 6"8 hone those skills and combine them with a solid outside shooting touch could be deadly he also feels a need SF. He need to bulk up to contribute. I have been eying these two guys for the Rockets since the season ended, but I am now leaning toward 7 Center Lucus Nogueira if we don't get Dontatas Mitejunas. He is young, tall, long, athletic with great upside and a already solid skill set and competitive attitude.

Should they draft for immediate help, best available, or Potential?At 14 Immediate help and at 23rd potential

Witch two players would you like to see the Rockets Pick?At 14 C Dontatas Mitejunas or Fredette at 23 Honeycutt or Nogueira second round Scotty Hopson

What second round prospects should Rockets look into picking or do you think would make impact?Borderline 1st rounder PF Justin Harper Second Rounders

SF Davis Bertans SF/SG Scotty Hopson SG/SF Travis Leslie SF/SG Deandre Liggins

What is your final Prediction?

First Round

14th Dontatas Mtiejunas 7 C Tobias Harris 6"8 SF/PF ( if Dontatas not available)

23rd Tyler Honeycutt 6"8 SF/SG

Second Round

8th Davis Bertans 6"10 SF

How does your dream draft go?

First Round

14th Jimmer Fredette 6"2 PG/SG

23rd Lucus Nogueira 7 C or Marshon Brooks (Nogueira potential, I just think Brooks is an NBA ready scorer)

Second Round 8th

Scotty Hopson 6"7 SF/SG

Well I guess it was about time I started one. I'll try to keep it as updated as I can.

To kick it off, here are a few mocks.

From DraftExpress.com http://www.draftexpress.com/article/Post-NBA-Draft-Lottery-Analysis-The-Implications-3706/#ixzz1MsDV97DF

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_ylt=AmRvhsXKU0zgvj67p9Os2LK8vLYF?slug=ycn-8493201

Read more: http://basketball.realgm.com/article/213751/2011_NBA_Mock_Draft_(Post_Lottery_Edition)#ixzz1MsGDoCEJ

Personally I'd like to see us come out with Donatas Motiejunas, he's got the potential to become a very good NBA player and would do well with Yao Ming/Caroll Dawson as mentors. If he lasts past the top 10 then the Jazz have been said to be very interested in him and will certainly take him at #12. I wonder if we could move up somewhere in the #9-#11 pick range by packaging the 14th and 23rd picks.

If we stay where we are then I would like to pick up Chris Singleton. Givony seems to like Tobias Harris a lot so I guess I wouldn't mind him either. For the 23rd pick, Lucas Nogueira and Tyler Honeycutt. Two very raw players with potential.

I don't know you but reading your post I was like did I post this because I hope the Rockets can get Donata Motiejunas at 14 and Tyler Honeycutt or Lucas Nogueira at 23 myself. It looks like Motiejunas draft posistion is going to be hard to predict. I like him and then if he isn't available Tobias Harris.

I would pair them like this

14 C Motiejunas

23 SF/SG Honeycutt

14 SF/PF Tobias Harris

23 C Nogueira

Chad Ford mock draft 3.0

Reggie Jackson has been impressing a lot of teams, dude has a great NBA body and a good work ethic to go along with it. Apparently the Celtics have promised to that they will take him at the 25th pick if he was available. Jackson would be the 3rd point guard on the roster and gives the Rockets a backup plan for next season when Goran Dragic's contract expires. Dragic has been very impressive and I hope that he's a Rocket for many years to come but if he's going to cost the Rockets a big contract to keep him around then it might be time to move on from him, and play a much cheaper backup to Lowry. However, I am still much in favor of taking an international prospect at this pick and stashes him away in Europe for a few years.

Something to take note of is that Ford has Donatas Motiejunas dropping all the way to the 20th pick. Hamilton wouldn't be a bad pick for the Rockets but it would be tough for them to pass up on a center oozing with potential like Motiejunas.

Edit: also Ford lists his top 5 prospects for the 2nd round and ranks Lucas Nogueira (assuming he was ranking them instead of placing them in a random order) as going 34th. Nogueira is an extremely raw prospect out of Brazil but he's got great potential to be a defensive anchor in the NBA, if he slips a bit further to the Rockets at #36 then that would be a HUGE steal.

I am personally not a fan of either of these guys and I hope ole Chad is wrong!

First Round

14th Dontatas Mtiejunas 7 C Tobias Harris 6"8 SF/PF ( if Dontatas not available)

23rd Tyler Honeycutt 6"8 SF/SG

Second Round

8th Davis Bertans 6"10 SF

This is probably my dream draft. I would love to get Nogueria with one of our later picks but if Donatas falls to our lap at #14, there is no way we should pass up on him. Montiejunas is more NBA ready while Nogueria is several years away from becoming an impact player. Honeycutt has some great potential too and we could use another wing, and make Terrence Williams or Budinger expendable. There is no way Bertans falls to the 2nd round but if he does then that would be a great pick too. 10/10 draft if that happens (doubt it) because the Rockets would be picking up players with some of the higher ceilings in this draft.

This is probably my dream draft. I would love to get Nogueria with one of our later picks but if Donatas falls to our lap at #14, there is no way we should pass up on him. Montiejunas is more NBA ready while Nogueria is several years away from becoming an impact player. Honeycutt has some great potential too and we could use another wing, and make Terrence Williams or Budinger expendable. There is no way Bertans falls to the 2nd round but if he does then that would be a great pick too. 10/10 draft if that happens (doubt it) because the Rockets would be picking up players with some of the higher ceilings in this draft.

yea Bertans a stretch but I saw the Rockets getting him in the second round in some mock draft and said the same thing you did lol but I wish

• 2 weeks later...

Draftexpress mock draft v 2.0

14 Houston Rockets

Jordan Hamilton, SF

20 years old; 6'8"; 230 lbs

Texas, sophomore

Houston's biggest need appears to be at small forward. Hamilton has great size for the 3 at 6-foot-8 and should be able to score from Day 1 in the NBA. His interviews have gone much better than expected, which gives plenty of room for optimism considering his very high talent level.

23 Houston Rockets (From Orlando Magic)

Tyler Honeycutt, SF

20 years old; 6'8"; 190 lbs

UCLA, sophomore

With Honeycutt, the Rockets can continue to shore up their small-forward position long-term with a prospect who is a couple of years away from contributing at the NBA level. He's versatile with all the tools and talent needed to be an effective swingman down the road, but will need some seasoning on Houston's D-League team.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_ylt=AmPTSfd78fkCYUFEfTtJKtO8vLYF?slug=ycn-8581953

I would just fine with this draft. Sure we don't come out with a center in the first round (something worth noting is that Nikola Vucevic and Lucas Nogueria, both international centers, go #20 and #26 respectively) but gain two prospects with all the potential in the world in another position of weakness.

Do not be surprised if the Rockets don't use one of their first round picks on a center, if anything it should mean that they are confident that they can sign a much better one in free agency (DeAndre Jordan?).

Per Hoopsworld so take it with a grain of salt.

The #2 Is In Play: Despite denials from the Minnesota Timberwolves, the #2 overall pick in June 23rd NBA Draft is very much in play.

The Houston Rockets also have eyes on the #2 pick and Arizona forward Derrick Williams. The Rockets hold the #14 and the #23 and seem open to combining those picks, however Minnesota is said to want a veteran player for their troubles and Houston is not there yet on moving a roster piece to move up, but they are said to be in the running should Minnesota decide to deal. The Rockets have made it clear they will address their gap at small forward in the first round, so if you are mocking out the draft at home pencil in a small forward at #14.

http://www.hoopsworld.com/Story.asp?STORY_ID=20063

Mike (Houston)What are the Rockets plans? Is Morey trying to move up in the draft?

Chad Ford (1:44 PM)Morey is always trying to move. He's one of the most active GMs in the league and I think, right now, virtually everything and everyone is on the table. As far as predicting their draft ... 14 is where things really start to break down ... lots of options ... Biyombo, Hamilton, Tobias Harris, Marcus Morris, Nikola Vucevic.

Per Chad Ford chat earlier today.

Jordan Hamilton and Tobias Harris have been the top two names coming up in rumors/mocks for the Rockets' 14th pick. Biyombo would be my top pick from the names listed but there is absolutely no way he lasts till the Rockets pick.

Chad Ford mock draft 4.0

14.) Houston

Bismack Biyombo

Position: PF

Height: 6-9

Weight: 243

Analysis: Biyombo is in the conversation as high as No. 5, but the general lack of information about him may cause his stock to slip. He's got the physical abilities to be excellent in the league, but he's a wild card.

The Raptors, Wizards, Pistons, Bucks and Jazz all will give him strong looks. I doubt he slips further than Houston. While small forward is a big need too (they like Marcus Morris, Jordan Hamilton and Tobias Harris there), at this point Biyombo is more reward than risk.

How many times have my speculations for this draft been wrong? Plenty but if Biyombo slips all the way to the Rockets at #14, I will be doing backflips.

23.) Houston

(via Orlando)

Nikola Vucevic

Position: C

Height: 7-0

Weight: 260

School: USC

Analysis: Even though we have the Rockets going big at No. 14, don't be surprised if they do it again here. Vucevic has helped himself as much as anyone in the workout process. He's got size, toughness and skill. He's not going to be a superstar thanks to a lack of explosive athleticism, but he'll be a very solid addition to the Rockets. Mirotic, Justin Harper and Darius Morris are other possibilities.

A bit surprised by this pick, I thought surely that Ford would have us taking Honeycutt or Davis Bertrans but at #23 Vucevic is great value. I can't say that I've seen much film on him but I've read plenty of positives about him from both Givony and Ford. Something to note is that while he may be 7 feet tall, he's apparently working on a jump shot according to Draftexpress.

I forgot to mention this bit from Ford new mock:

While small forward is a big need too (they like Marcus Morris, Jordan Hamilton and Tobias Harris there)

Hamilton and Harris have come up a lot in this thread but if I had to pick between the two, I don't think I could. Harris has a good body, a nice set of skills (good defensively, etc), and an incredible motor to go with it and while he is very young (18 years to be exact), he doesn't have the upside Hamilton does. Ford mentioned it a couple of weeks ago, Hamilton is one of the few players in this draft that could become a top team scorer. Harris is definitely the safer pick and fits the team concept better but if Morey and the Rockets are looking to make a homerun, Hamilton would be the guy going here.

Marcus Morris is actually someone I have paid very little attention to, he is probably the best player on the board (assuming all 3 players + Biyombo are somehow available) but he doesn't fit a need at all unless we're moving Scola and the team has lost all faith in Jordan Hill. Either way I'm not a big fan because there are more pressing needs.

DraftExpress Jonathan Givony

Look for Nikola Mirotic and Davis Bertans to withdraw from the draft on monday. Good news for NCAA players. Two spots in 1st round opened up

Crap. There goes two good looking international prospects, both would have gone near the Rockets' #23 pick.

A number of teams remain anxious about Jonas Valanciunas' buyout situation. As it stands right now, he has no NBA buyout in his contract and is under contract with his team for two more years. Valanciunas' agent, Leon Rose, has hired one of the top lawyers in Europe to attempt to negotiate a buyout of his contract. While they continue to hope that something is worked out before the draft, to date, they've been unsuccessful. If Valanciunas can't get a buyout worked out, there's a good chance he could slide in the draft.

Valanciunas has until June 13 to withdraw from the draft. But don't count on it. His team believes that even without the buyout, he's unlikely to fall out of the lottery. From what I can gather, they believe the Rockets, who are drafting at 14, are his floor

http://bbs.clutchfans.net/showthread.php?t=205503

This shouldn't come as much of a surprise. Regardless of the buyout situation, the Rockets were expected to be one of the teams that would take Valanciunas without even blinking. As a Rocket fan, I am really hoping that the contract negotiations continue to go south because that is honestly the only way we are going to land him without giving up significant pieces to move up. There are still a lot of teams that would still take Valanciunas though, if he slips then it might be best to package our picks to move up a few spots so we could secure him before another team does.

Crap. There goes two good looking international prospects, both would have gone near the Rockets' #23 pick.

Both appeared to have changed their minds.

Nikola Mirotic is keeping his name in the NBA draft, according to his agent Igor Crespo. "He doesn't want to go through this process again."

Igor Crepo: "I don't know where Mirotic is going to get picked. He doesn't care if he's 1st or 2nd round.He'll stay in Spain 3-4 more years"

Didn't expect Mirotic to come over to the States any time soon anyways, will gladly take someone of his talent level at #23.

Davis Bertans is "leaning towards keeping his name in," his agent Marc Fleisher told us. "We'll decide in about two hours."

Bertans is the guy that will be coming over sooner than Mirotic, Draftexpress has it many times that he doesn't care where he gets picked as long as he is taken by a well known youth developing team. It makes sense from an international prospect's perspective, why care where you get picked when you're going to be in Europe for 1-2 more years and can demand a bigger contract after that time? This is assuming that Bertans isn't going to be coming over for the upcoming season (if there is one).

Edited by Dash