Bucks Interested in SG Alec Burks

Burks, who led the Big 12 in scoring as a sophomore at Colorado during the past season, is one player drawing the interest of the Milwaukee Bucks as they prepare for the June 23 draft.

Burks was one of the first players the Bucks interviewed at the annual NBA draft combine being held in Chicago on Thursday and Friday.

JSOnline

• Owner

I don't know much about him but from the article it seems like he's someone who can score the ball which is something we desperately need.

Anyone have any other info on the guy?

He's the two-guard from Colorado...saw him on TV quite a bit in Kansas.

I'm not sure who to compare him to right now...maybe a Tayshaun Prince with better scoring, less defense. He's got a lot of potential, though. The only thing I thought was bad about him, that really stuck out like a sore thumb, was that he took a lot of bad shots. He would pull up early in the clock, or try and take guys off the dribble and pull up at the wrong time, a contested shot. A couple of years ago, the dude was pretty damn efficient, but last year, his percentages fell across the board. I don't remember how well he shot by the end of the season, but it wasn't as good as the previous year with Colorado, and he missed a lot of threes (although he probably took around 2-3 a game).

He needs to hit the gym. He's MJ's height, but less weight (the 6-6, 198-pound Jordan, not later on, when he put on a few more pounds). Dude can jump, though.

Honestly, at #10, it's probably the best selection for Milwaukee. Him, or Marcus Morris.

If the Bucks really want a shooting guard in this draft then Alec Burks is there man. There is such a huge gap between Burks and the rest of the 2 guards but like Real, I worry about his shot selection. I'm not too fond of having two chuckers in the backcourt but honestly there isn't anyone much better in the draft so might as well take a chance on him.

Hs jumper needs a lot of work. He is good at getting to the rim, has nice size at the 2, good athleticism and has quite a bit of upside but he is going to need to greatly improve his jumper in order to actually be able make use of his excellent slashing ability and athleticism in situations outside of transition ones. Teams are going to be able to sag off of him and dare him to shoot from the outside, so that is definitely going to be the biggest area that he needs to work on.

DX has a nice scouting report with video breakdown up that you would probably be interested in because I definitely think that the Bucks will be taking him. He wasn't going to declare unless he was certain that he was going to be a lottery pick and from what I heard, he got a promise from some team in the lottery. I think that team is probably the Bucks.

Anyways, here is the 5 minute video on Burks from DX:

http://www.draftexpress.com/article/Alec-Burks-Video-Breakdown-3692/

I also just read that he shot under 30% from 3-pt last season. Would he be worth the pick since we're obviously a struggling offensive team if he seemed to have a hard time from the college 3, let alone the pros?

Also, do you see him as someone who could come in and replace Salmons either right away, through the season, or the season after?

In Chad Ford's latest mock draft, he has Milwaukee passing on Burks for Thompson.

10. Milwaukee

Tristan Thompson

Position: PF

Height: 6-9

Weight: 228

School: Texas

Analysis: The Bucks are set at center and point guard, but could really use help at the 2, 3 or 4 position. If Thompson slides this far, it might be tough for them to pass on him.

Thompson would give the Bucks athleticism and toughness in the front court -- something they tried to address during free agency with Drew Gooden last year. He is still a work in progress on the offensive end of the ball, but he may be the best offensive rebounding forward in the draft.

I'm high on Burks, I think he may be the 6th or 7th best prospect.

I think is drop in numbers had a lot to do with him just doing to much and putting to much of a load on his shoulders. But I think he has all the tools to be an excellent NBA player. I read a comparison of him to Eddie Jones and I think that's pretty fair. Maybe not as good defensively but will be a solid two-way player.

• Owner

I also just read that he shot under 30% from 3-pt last season. Would he be worth the pick since we're obviously a struggling offensive team if he seemed to have a hard time from the college 3, let alone the pros?

Also, do you see him as someone who could come in and replace Salmons either right away, through the season, or the season after?

Well, Tristan would make the most sense, probably, but I don't think he'll fall to ten, unless he slips up in workouts.

If you're looking for offense, though, I'd go with Marcus Morris. He could hit the gym and be a mess down low for some players, playing the SF/PF. Plus, he's probably one of the most NBA-ready players in the draft.

Burks stepping in that quickly? I don't know...probably not. Usually, guys that aren't disciplined and tend to chuck poor shots will have a hard time fitting in, and shouldn't be rushed into big roles.

Tristan Thompson seems like the most likely pick for them to me, but at the same time Burks would fill a major need. They haven't had a good scoring two-guard since Redd started having injury problems. Burks does need to hit the gym and get an NBA body-style, but he is a good shooter and could provide a solid wing option right off the bat. That being said, like Real Deal has been stating, there's another guy named Marcus Morris who a lot of people forget about as a possible candidate for the Bucks to select. He's easily better offensively than either Thompson or Burks (right now), and would fill that power forward void. In all honesty, I'd say draft Morris. He seems to be the best option that will be on the board likely at #10.

Tristan Thompson seems like the most likely pick for them to me, but at the same time Burks would fill a major need. They haven't had a good scoring two-guard since Redd started having injury problems. Burks does need to hit the gym and get an NBA body-style, but he is a good shooter and could provide a solid wing option right off the bat. That being said, like Real Deal has been stating, there's another guy named Marcus Morris who a lot of people forget about as a possible candidate for the Bucks to select. He's easily better offensively than either Thompson or Burks (right now), and would fill that power forward void. In all honesty, I'd say draft Morris. He seems to be the best option that will be on the board likely at #10.

Serious question, but have you even watched Burks play before?

The guy is not a good shooter; he is a weak one.

He is a very good scorer and Marcus Morris is not "easily better offensively" than Burks is. I would say that Burks is more skilled than Morris is, relative to their respective positions.

He has a good body considering his age. A 6'6, 200 pound 19 year old with a near 7 foot wingspan and 5% body fat is about as good as you can hope for from a non athletic freak. Obviously he will add strength as his body matures, but his measurements for a 19 year old are pretty solid.

Even if you just read a few scouting reports you would know that pretty much everything you said about Burks is way off base, lol.

EDIT: My bad on his weight, for some reason I thought he weighed 200 pounds at the combine, but it is actually closer to 190 (193 to be exact), so maybe you have a point on that one, but the other two are still way off.

Edited by Built Ford Tough

• 2 weeks later...