Rockets looking to move up in draft ; potential trade with Kings?

Dash

• Sources say Houston, which has the No. 14 pick, is interested in moving up in the draft. One potential partner might be Sacramento, as the Kings are believed to be open to such a move in exchange for impactful veteran help.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/writers/sam_amick/05/19/predraft.camp.day1/index.html#ixzz1MoLThG7N

Only impactful veterans that still have a contract with us are Luis Scola and Kevin Martin. Considering that they just gave us Martin about a year ago, I'm guessing that they would prefer Luis Scola and pair him up with Cousins up front. They might want Kyle Lowry too but I don't see the point of moving him for the 7th unless the Rockets are truly high on Jimmer Fredette or Brandon Knight.

• Owner

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/writers/sam_amick/05/19/predraft.camp.day1/index.html#ixzz1MoLThG7N

Only impactful veterans that still have a contract with us are Luis Scola and Kevin Martin. Considering that they just gave us Martin about a year ago, I'm guessing that they would prefer Luis Scola and pair him up with Cousins up front. They might want Kyle Lowry too but I don't see the point of moving him for the 7th unless the Rockets are truly high on Jimmer Fredette or Brandon Knight.

If the Rockets trade Lowry for that pick, then select Jimmer that high, they are officially ignorant, sorry to say. I see no point in doing that. Jimmer will be a major crutch on the defensive end, and you're basically removing one of your best defenders (probably second to Hayes) for a guy that could want the ball as much as Kevin Martin.

I doubt Knight slips past Utah. If he does, and Cleveland decided to select Williams with their #1 pick, they will most definitely take Knight at #4. If the chips fall perfectly at that point (for Houston), and he's still there...well, he's not moving past Toronto.

In that case, I would rather see the Rockets get Kemba Walker, who can do more on the floor.

Jimmer isn't going to be selected until the mid-first to begin with, possibly late first. If Houston really wanted him, they could just keep their pick and wait it out.

If the Rockets trade Lowry for that pick, then select Jimmer that high, they are officially ignorant, sorry to say. I see no point in doing that. Jimmer will be a major crutch on the defensive end, and you're basically removing one of your best defenders (probably second to Hayes) for a guy that could want the ball as much as Kevin Martin.

I doubt Knight slips past Utah. If he does, and Cleveland decided to select Williams with their #1 pick, they will most definitely take Knight at #4. If the chips fall perfectly at that point (for Houston), and he's still there...well, he's not moving past Toronto.

In that case, I would rather see the Rockets get Kemba Walker, who can do more on the floor.

Jimmer isn't going to be selected until the mid-first to begin with, possibly late first. If Houston really wanted him, they could just keep their pick and wait it out.

If the Rockets take Jimmer it will be at the 14th pick, Morey has been rumored to be high on him earlier in the season but that was never confirmed. Kemba Walker seems decent but I don't see why we would trade Lowry to get him, which makes me believe Scola is the player the Rockets are going to try to move for the Kings pick. Morey must be trying to move up for Jonas Valanciunas or Bismack Biyombo.

I'm just going off of speculation, but I imagine Knight will be picked at 3 by the Jazz. I don't see them being too interested in Kanter with Jefferson, Millsap and Favors already on the roster, in addition to Kanter blowing off an interview with the Jazz earlier today at the combine (blew off the Raptors and Bucks as well). I would imagine that the Jazz go for a point guard considering they don't seem to think of Harris as the point of the future and they have always struck me as a team who likes having size at the point, which Knight definitely does. If they don't take him, I am almost certain they will draft Walker at three, but I think Knight will be their pick.

The only other scenario I see is maybe the pick Jan Vesely with the hopes that he can become their new age Kirilenko in a few years.

Should the Jazz take Walker at 3, I imagine you are right about him not falling past the Raptors. Colangelo has mentioned his name at least 5 times in interviews since the lottery, there has been a bunch of speculation from people who follow the Raptors that they are very high on him and they have already met with him two or three times, including going out for dinner with him the other night. He also seems to be the kind of player who Colangelo has had a history of being interested in. A point guard with good size, solid defensive potential but a bit of a project when it comes to being a true floor general considering his interest in guys like Jrue Holiday, Russell Westbrook and Jerryd Bayless over the past few years. I would definitely say that he will be their pick at 5 if he is there, at least at the moment.

If he isn't there, I would guess that their pck would be Walker especially after measuring out better than a lot of people expected.

I don't see the Rockets trying to move up for a guard considering I honestly think both of them will be gone by 5 as the Jazz will likely take one at 3 and the Raptors will take whoever is left at 5. I think that Valanciunas may be their target. The Rockets are a good enough team that I think they would be completely comfortable with taking a project big man like Valanciunas, even if he won't be coming over to the team for at least 2 years down the road and may not be ready to contribute for another year or two after that. Outside of Val and maybe Biyombo, I don't really see why the Rockets would move up in the draft considering how wide open the entire draft is outside of the likely top 5. Maybe they want somebody like Kawhi Leonard to replace Battier at the 3? I'm not sure, though.

Edited by Built Ford Tough

Honestly I dont really like the idea of us moving up, especially if we trade Lowery to do that. Stay where we are and plan on going big in FA. Thats would be my plan.

Also I hope Jimmer falls to us at the 14th pick, I dont like I idea of us moving up for him.

I'm just going off of speculation, but I imagine Knight will be picked at 3 by the Jazz. I don't see them being too interested in Kanter with Jefferson, Millsap and Favors already on the roster, in addition to Kanter blowing off an interview with the Jazz earlier today at the combine (blew off the Raptors and Bucks as well). I would imagine that the Jazz go for a point guard considering they don't seem to think of Harris as the point of the future and they have always struck me as a team who likes having size at the point, which Knight definitely does. If they don't take him, I am almost certain they will draft Walker at three, but I think Knight will be their pick.

The only other scenario I see is maybe the pick Jan Vesely with the hopes that he can become their new age Kirilenko in a few years.

Should the Jazz take Walker at 3, I imagine you are right about him not falling past the Raptors. Colangelo has mentioned his name at least 5 times in interviews since the lottery, there has been a bunch of speculation from people who follow the Raptors that they are very high on him and they have already met with him two or three times, including going out for dinner with him the other night. He also seems to be the kind of player who Colangelo has had a history of being interested in. A point guard with good size, solid defensive potential but a bit of a project when it comes to being a true floor general considering his interest in guys like Jrue Holiday, Russell Westbrook and Jerryd Bayless over the past few years. I would definitely say that he will be their pick at 5 if he is there, at least at the moment.

If he isn't there, I would guess that their pck would be Walker especially after measuring out better than a lot of people expected.

I don't see the Rockets trying to move up for a guard considering I honestly think both of them will be gone by 5 as the Jazz will likely take one at 3 and the Raptors will take whoever is left at 5. I think that Valanciunas may be their target. The Rockets are a good enough team that I think they would be completely comfortable with taking a project big man like Valanciunas, even if he won't be coming over to the team for at least 2 years down the road and may not be ready to contribute for another year or two after that. Outside of Val and maybe Biyombo, I don't really see why the Rockets would move up in the draft considering how wide open the entire draft is outside of the likely top 5. Maybe they want somebody like Kawhi Leonard to replace Battier at the 3? I'm not sure, though.

Well if the Rockets are said to be interested in Kemba Walker, they might be targeting the 4th pick owned the Cavaliers. The Rockets could easily put together a decent package to move up there. Question is, what about Kyle Lowry and Goran Dragic? Just how high are they on Walker? I don't see the point of moving up for him unless Morey views him as a franchise point guard.

No point in drafting Kawhi Leonard either, they could stay pat and draft a similar player in Chris Singleton at 14. Valanciunas and Biyombo make the most sense.

Honestly I dont really like the idea of us moving up, especially if we trade Lowery to do that. Stay where we are and plan on going big in FA. Thats would be my plan.

Also I hope Jimmer falls to us at the 14th pick, I dont like I idea of us moving up for him.

Lol we're not moving up for Jimmer and honestly I'm not that big of a fan of picking him at 14 either.

No point in drafting Kawhi Leonard either, they could stay pat and draft a similar player in Chris Singleton at 14. Valanciunas and Biyombo make the most sense.

Except Leonard is a much better prospect than Singleton. Singleton's best case scenario is becoming a Thabo Sefolosha type of guy. Good to great defender, alright shooter (and his shooting ability at the next level is a question mark in my mind as well) but nothing else.

Leonard has similar defensive potential in addition to being a much better athlete, a more versatile offensive player (although not as good of a shooter, but supposedly he has improved on that quite a bit since SDSU's season ended) and a very good rebounder. He is also 2 or 3 years younger than Singleton is as well.

I don't mind Singleton as a role player in the mid first round or something, but he is not a better prospect than Leonard is. I would draft Leonard over Singleton no matter what the circumstances are every time.

Leonard is going to be a very good NBA player and is definitely one of the more "safer" prospects available, but I still don't see why the Rockets would give up anything significant just to move up for him. If we move up it should be for a center or someone we believe has all-star potential. Leonard isn't either one of those and therefore I would be okay with settling for Singleton.

Aren't we talking about moving up to the Kings pick at 7? I don't see why you think that moving from 14th to 7th would cost the Rockets anything of real significance.

Depending on what the Kings want to do with this draft (I honestly have no idea at all as I've paid no attention to them) it wouldn't surprise me if the cost was nothing more than a 2nd rounder and some cash, or maybe a heavily protected future first that is likely to turn into a 2nd due to the protections on it.

Just going off of my personal opinion, I imagine the Kings are after either Knight or Walker to pair with Evans in the backcourt and there is a strong chance that neither one of them will be available at 7 assuming that the Jazz pick a point guard at 3 or the Cavs decide to go with Williams at 1 (unlikely). It wouldn't shock me if the Kings would settle to move down to the 14th pick and gain a 2nd or something considering the money that they will save in the rookie contract unless they think that Biyombo or Thompson would be worth pairing with Cousins in the front court. If they don't like either one of them I could definitely see them moving down if they can pick up some sort of future asset in the process.

If that is the case, I think you would be a fool not to try and move up to snag Leonard and settle for Singleton. If we are talking about moving up to the Cavs pick at 4, obviously Leonard wouldn't be part of the equation and the cost would be significantly higher, especially considering the ridiculous standards to which the Cavs hold that pick (Rudy Gay. Seriously? lol).

Edited by Built Ford Tough

The gap between the players expected to go in the top 8 and the latter half of the lottery is big enough that I think its going to cost us at least a rotational player or a future first round pick. The 14th + 2nd round/late first rounder to move up 7 slots sounds almost too good to be true.

Speaking of the Kings, if they can't snag one of the two point guards then I'm assuming that they're going to be targeting a 4 they can plug in next to Cousins.

Christ, looks like I'm wrong again. Sam Amick is reporting that the Rockets are interested in moving up for Kawhi Leonard or Enes Kanter.

He lasted approximately 21 minutes on a brutal treadmill test that includes steep inclines, declines and sprints, putting himself atop the big man class when it comes to being dedicated about his body.

"He went 21-plus minutes on the treadmill test, and only five guys -- plus Enes -- [did that] and four of them were guards," Ergul told SI.com. "[NBA officials] said that was the first time in the draft in modern history that had happened, that no 6-11-plus guys ever finished 21-minutes-plus on the treadmill test ... People don't realize how prepared this kid is, how dedicated he is."

As was reported here on Thursday, Houston (14th, 23rd picks) is interested in moving up in the draft. The source with knowledge of the Rockets' desires said they are hoping to do so to either nab Kanter or perhaps San Diego State small forward, Kawhi Leonard.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/writers/sam_amick/05/23/predraft.camp.wrap/index.html

Well if the Rockets are said to be interested in Kemba Walker, they might be targeting the 4th pick owned the Cavaliers. The Rockets could easily put together a decent package to move up there. Question is, what about Kyle Lowry and Goran Dragic? Just how high are they on Walker? I don't see the point of moving up for him unless Morey views him as a franchise point guard.

Lol we're not moving up for Jimmer and honestly I'm not that big of a fan of picking him at 14 either.

Im a Jimmer fan but I don't think the Rockets take him at 14. I do however think he can and will play in the NBA and look forward to watching him. He may fall to 23 its crazy I have seen him go from 12th in the draft to like 21st. Rockets need two things C and SF they have two picks. Roll the dice Kanter is the only guy worth trading up for.