Raptors Interested in Rudy Gay

Colangelo could have acquired Gay in 2006 when the Raptors won the lottery and elected to use the first overall pick on Andrea Bargnani in a draft class many believed lacked a franchise player.

If anything, history has shown that Colangelo eventually gets his man and will do whatever it takes.

Perhaps the price may end up involving Bargnani, Toronto’s own trade exception obtained in the Chris Bosh sign-and-trade with the Heat, the No. 5 draft pick or any combination of assets for Gay.

What must be made clear is that if Gay is indeed available, then expect the Raptors to be involved.

http://www.torontosun.com/2011/05/24/raptors-keep-eye-on-rudy-gay

If they are so interested in him, maybe they should've drafted him in 2006 when he was clearly the best choice for them.

The Raptors don't have what it takes to get him, though. Unless they are willing to part with DeRozan or Davis with the 5th pick, I don't see them landing him. Why on earth would the Grizzlies want Bargnani considering how terrible of a fit he would be next to Randolph and considering it would run Gasol out of town?

PS: I question the validity of this considering you can't combine a player with the TPE. Either the Sun is making shit up, or they don't know how a TPE works. Either scenario seems likely to me. Hell, both are probably true.

Edited by Built Ford Tough

Back in 2006 Colangelo’s eyes where only on Andrea and we all know how that is working out plus didn’t Rudy drop all the way to the 8th pick? This article is just suggesting that the raptors would explore any opportunity to acquire Rudy if not they would be involved in a trade with Rudy somehow.

I just don't see it happening. He's going to stick in Memphis before they deal him to Toronto for average players. Who could the Raptors give up that would both interest the Grizzlies and be enough to acquire Rudy Gay? I can't see anything that would get the deal done, so I have to believe there is no chance of this happening.