Mike Brown Next Lakers Coach?

The Los Angeles Lakers are engaged in serious discussions with Mike Brown about the ex-Cleveland Cavaliers coach becoming the franchise’s next coach, league sources told Yahoo! Sports on Tuesday night.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=aw-wojnarowski_lakers_coach_mike_brown052411

Amazing defensive coach, but I've seen 6th grade teams run better offensive sets.

If they do hire Brown, I hope maybe they keep Shaw to keep running the tri. Or at least get an assistant that'll run an offense besides Brown's Give-It-To-Kobe-And-Get-Out-Of-The-Way offensive set.

• Owner

Mike Brown cannot coach an offense. His entire coaching stint in Cleveland fell on what he learned under Popovich, taking advantage of underrated defensive players (like Delonte West), and giving LeBron the ball in ISO's. That's it.

Problem is, we don't have an excellent defensive unit for him to coach, and we don't have a LeBron James. Kobe is too old to go ISO every play.

One of his assistants in Cleveland had to draw up all the post plays for Shaq. There were times that Mike Brown would stand away from the huddle, in a late game situation, while Cleveland had the ball and needed a bucket against a very good defensive team (where LeBron couldn't ISO like he wanted).

We can't go this route. If we are looking for a defensive-minded coach that struggles coaching an offense, we might as well pick up a proven championship coach in Larry Brown.

Wait what? David Aldridge was just reporting that the coaching search was down to Brown and Adelman.

Wait what? David Aldridge was just reporting that the coaching search was down to Brown and Adelman.

Comcast Sportsnet Bay Area is saying it's going to be Mike Brown. I think they would know since they have been following his news and reporting on it because he was highly attracted by the Warriors too. But you never know.

As long as the Warriors don't hire him.

Before all the Lakers fans slit their wrists, look at the bright side.....it's not Mike Dunleavy.

Although, the Lakers just wrestled away a coach that wanted to coach the Warriors. Sleep on that and try not to have nightmares.

What's the over/under before Mike gets fired? Let's set the line at 2.5 years.

The Lakers must have already thought about Brown's incompetence on offense. They must already have something in plan, like an offense genius to be an assistant.

Perhaps they can make the players keep the triangle on offense, players like Kobe and Derek Fisher to be player-coaches on offense, and have Mike Brown take care of the rest.

• Owner

What needs to be noted, quickly, is that we finished the season ranked 6th in both offense and defense (which is based on points scored and given up per 100 possessions).

However, our FG% was 11th in the NBA, and our 3PT% was 17th. We were also 17th in FTA and 13th in assists.

Those numbers shouldn't resemble a team with Kobe, Gasol, Odom, and Bynum.

While we need the help on defense, some of our problems on that end of the court can't be solved by a coach. Fisher and Kobe can't defend the perimeter like they used to, and Mike Brown doesn't have the Fountain of Youth. Ron Artest has trouble contesting shots when having to recover, also due to age. Gasol is lazy, and if any coach were to break him of that, it would've been Phil Jackson.

I think we are getting Mike Brown for all the wrong reasons. Basically, he's cheap, and he brings with him Pop's defensive strategies (and a few of his own). That's it. Experience? Brown may have found his way into the NBA Finals, but make no mistake about it, he was carried there. A voice? We know he never took the dare to stand up to LeBron in 5-6 years he coached at Cleveland (however many it was...since 2004 or 2005). Many Cleveland beat writers argued that he may have been the "player's coach" of the century, which isn't exactly a good thing.

Sure, I'll give him a chance, but only because I can't dictate what's going to happen. I have the green light to throw my criticism out there because, the truth is, many Laker fans did it for years when they saw him coaching, when they saw him acting ridiculous and sucking up to LeBron in every single post-game interview, and when they saw him playing a spectator as John Kuester was drawing up offensive sets. I don't see why it's so different today.

Personally, I'd rather see Kobe as a player's coach before Brown, but I think he should be given a chance to show what he can do with a team with that much offensive talent before crucifying him. Defensively, there is no doubt they will improve.

They should have definitely went with JVG, Adelman or Shaw instead, however.