Blazers Considering Asking Roy To Retire

A source familiar with the situation said Thursday that Portland figures it must deal with Brandon Roy's future if it's truly going to rejoin the league's contenders. Retirement for Roy is among the options they're considering.

The Blazers know they hold the distinction of being the only team in the Western Conference that hasn't won a first-round playoff series in the past 10 years. So they're eager and acting with urgency.

There are only three viable options when it comes to Roy's future: A) figure out where he fits and play him; B) set him free with the Amnesty Clause; or C) lure him into retirement.

Read more: http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/213886/Blazers_Considering_Asking_Roy_To_Retire_To_Clear_Cap_Space#ixzz1NZmnOsuS

Wow..

lol that would be ridiculous, if I Was Roy I'd tell them to go [expletive] themselves. It's not like his knees were a big secret. Try and get him to buy into a role where he can be useful, not sure what that'd be, but there's no doubt he can bring you 20 minutes of good play if he buys into his role, which of course is the key at this point because he seems pretty delusional about what he is capable of.

I am chalking this up as speculation on RGM.

Edited by Check my Stats

It strictly seems like speculation on the writer's part as a possibility, and not something the Blazers are actually considering. Either way, this is Roy's first big deal since coming into the NBA, and since he won't get another big contract the rest of his career, he won't just forfeit that money to help the Blazers out.

This is very disrespectful to Roy, but at the same time I can see their point. The doctor that did Roy's surgery straight up said that he has 1-2 years if that to play, and after playing on it for about a year including the Playoffs and workouts, he's done enough damage that it's slowed him down already. I think he's just about done with his career, as much as it sucks to say. There would be some teams interested in acquiring him for a second round pick, but even then he couldn't contribute every night because of soreness in his knees. What do you see the outcome of this being?