Game changing mistakes... do you hold a grudge?

Scout200

No, it happens to everyone. However, when those mistakes become a trend for that player, that's when I hold a grudge.

This. Algthough if those mistakes become a trend I rather blame the coach who keeps him on court than the player... Cause the player doesn't do it on purpose, players want their teams to win.

Well anyway when Starks lost his game in the 94 Finals game 7, after Hakeem blocked his shot in game 6, I didn't hold a grudge on him. Didn't even think about it. Yet Starks was our MVP so far (it was either him or Harper) and we lost by less than 10 pts with him being that horrible... So it's quite obvious that with a Starks playing at his best level we could definitely have won this game. So it's kinda because of him that we didn't win that year. Yet I certainly didn't blame him for anything, quite the opposite I shared his disappointment... And hoped that he would get back to his real level as soon as possible (he eventually did after months of struggling the following year agaisnt.. Houston).

Same when Dirk struggled at the end of games against Miami in 2006. He was the first one to be devastated. So it would be asinine to hold a grudge for that. And this experience actually helped him to become a better player.

I don't blame players for making mistakes. I blame players for not trying, not giving all what they got, that's for sure (players like DC or Carter...). But not for making mistakes. As sad as it is making mistakes is part of the game and we have to accept it. The best players are not the ones who do not want to make mistakes anyhow, but the ones who accept that they do and learn from them.

No, it happens to everyone. However, when those mistakes become a trend for that player, that's when I hold a grudge.

Yes.

I only hold a grudge when I sit and ask myself "why does this guy keep making the same mistake over and over." As a fan you would think going over tape, practicing certain things etc. would rectify the problem yet at times you see players make the same dumb decision over and over. If you follow a team religiously it really gets on your nerves.

Yes.

I only hold a grudge when I sit and ask myself "why does this guy keep making the same mistake over and over."

This.

I don't hold a grudge when a player messes up and costs the team a game. I HATE players when players continuously hurt the team for making the same mistake over and over and over again.

It's the biggest reason I dislike Derek Fisher. Constantly attempts layups (he shoots them at 30%) and double teams guys in the post that don't need doubling while leaving shooters open.

• 2 weeks later...

This. Algthough if those mistakes become a trend I rather blame the coach who keeps him on court than the player... Cause the player doesn't do it on purpose, players want their teams to win.

Well anyway when Starks lost his game in the 94 Finals game 7, after Hakeem blocked his shot in game 6, I didn't hold a grudge on him. Didn't even think about it. Yet Starks was our MVP so far (it was either him or Harper) and we lost by less than 10 pts with him being that horrible... So it's quite obvious that with a Starks playing at his best level we could definitely have won this game. So it's kinda because of him that we didn't win that year. Yet I certainly didn't blame him for anything, quite the opposite I shared his disappointment... And hoped that he would get back to his real level as soon as possible (he eventually did after months of struggling the following year agaisnt.. Houston).

Same when Dirk struggled at the end of games against Miami in 2006. He was the first one to be devastated. So it would be asinine to hold a grudge for that. And this experience actually helped him to become a better player.

I don't blame players for making mistakes. I blame players for not trying, not giving all what they got, that's for sure (players like DC or Carter...). But not for making mistakes. As sad as it is making mistakes is part of the game and we have to accept it. The best players are not the ones who do not want to make mistakes anyhow, but the ones who accept that they do and learn from them.

Awesome perspective!