Is Lionel Messi the best athlete in the world?

Dash

We're talking about right now though..niether Federer or Tiger are at the levels they once were. Not the clear cut best? The only ones still arguing that are Madrid/Ronaldo fans. I think the whole world knows who the best player in the world is. This coming from a Madrid fan...

I'm not saying that what you're saying is wrong, but the fact that you think the statement presented in the title is wtf worthy is incorrect. The guy is doing and achieving remarkable things right now, and isn't planning on stopping anytime soon.

Djokovic has won 43 straight matches. That right now should tell you enough, especially if he beats Federer/Nadal in the French to win the French. There will be no question that Djokovic is the top athlete in the world.

Djokovic has won 43 straight matches. That right now should tell you enough, especially if he beats Federer/Nadal in the French to win the French. There will be no question that Djokovic is the top athlete in the world.

Cool? Messi just won the Champions league, scoring the goal that gave them the decisive lead. For anything you say, I can counterstrike with any of Messi's achievements lol.

You don't even watch soccer so idk how you say what you say like it's a fact.

Cool? Messi just won the Champions league, scoring the goal that gave them the decisive lead. For anything you say, I can counterstrike with any of Messi's achievements lol.

You don't even watch soccer so idk how you say what you say like it's a fact.

who said I don't?

Edited by Rainbow Dash

I know that Messi hasn't been hands down the most dominate soccer player for the past decade. I know that people are still debating whether he is the clear cut best in his sport right now.

Djokovic hasn't even dominated the sport for the past decade, so the decade argument is pretty flawed. Messi/Bolt are the winners in this thread. Lebron still has so many holes in his game while Messi is practically flawless these days. I don't really watch much football/baseball so I can't argue those.

Djokovic hasn't even dominated the sport for the past decade, so the decade argument is pretty flawed. Messi/Bolt are the winners in this thread. Lebron still has so many holes in his game while Messi is practically flawless these days. I don't really watch much football/baseball so I can't argue those.

what about Phelps? if the decade argument is moot, then throw Djokovic and Nadal in there. Of course the whole thing is dumb because you can't compare different sports. Bill Simmons says stupid stuff all the time

Tennis is a sport that is dominated all the time, no wear near the competition level of Golf or Soccer, I'd Woods and Messi over whoever that is :lol:

who said I don't?

You've pre much implied it in the comments you've made.

Previous accomplishments aren't completely outta the window for this discussion either, but it is if somebody is past their prime...or else Federer, Kobe...etc. would be discussed in this topic.

I don't think lkr knows what best ATHLETE means. It doesn't mean who's been dominant in their sport the longest, it means who has the most pure athleticism. Tiger is an absolute tank, but he isn't as athletically gifted as 75% of players in the NFL.

what about Phelps? if the decade argument is moot, then throw Djokovic and Nadal in there. Of course the whole thing is dumb because you can't compare different sports. Bill Simmons says stupid stuff all the time

Phelps is up there, but he only dominates every 4 years, don't really hear much about swimming lately. As of NOW Messi is probably the most dominant athlete. He has probably won everything besides the World Cup. As much as I hate to say it, Barcelona and Messi are going to be very, very good for years.

I don't think lkr knows what best ATHLETE means. It doesn't mean who's been dominant in their sport the longest, it means who has the most pure athleticism. Tiger is an absolute tank, but he isn't as athletically gifted as 75% of players in the NFL.

This thread isn't judging pure athleticism either or else the top decathlon athlete would win imo. We are arguing about who is the best at their respective sport.

I know that Messi hasn't been hands down the most dominate soccer player for the past decade. I know that people are still debating whether he is the clear cut best in his sport right now.

Messi has been player of the year the last two years and is about to win it again this year. He is only 23 years old right now. No player has ever won it 3 in a row I believe. Hes a scoring machine while at the same time setting up his teammates constantly.

This thread isn't judging pure athleticism either or else the top decathlon athlete would win imo. We are arguing about who is the best at their respective sport.

If that's the case then Usain Bolt wins this entire thing running away. Lkr wants to question LeBron yet crown Djoko? C'mon, wait to see if Djokovic wins the French at least. Usain Bolt all day every day.

If that's the case then Usain Bolt wins this entire thing running away. Lkr wants to question LeBron yet crown Djoko? C'mon, wait to see if Djokovic wins the French at least. Usain Bolt all day every day.

The Joker has won 2 titles ;)

Edited by Rainbow Dash

It's too hard to compare athletes in individual sports and team sports.

Also, there's no way in hell it is Phelps. I was excited to see him thrive at the 2008 Olympics, but he sits out of a lot of the major events that are most respected in swimming.

I don't think there is a clear cut best player in the NFL and MLB. However, I think there is in the NBA and NHl. LeBron James and Sidney Crosby are definitely the best at each of their respective sports.

So, I'm not really sure how to answer this question. Two years ago, I would have gone with Federer.

The Joker has won 2 titles ;)

And The King has won 2 MVP's. Winning a major in tennis is much different from winning a title in the NBA.

Edited by Flash

This is what I meant.

Josh Smith has all the athleticism in the world but he's not dominant and no where close to being the top player in his sport.

Edited by Dash