Knicks Looking to Trade Up in Draft for Jimmer

The Knicks, who currently own the #17 pick in the draft, are looking to move up and draft BYU star Jimmer Fredette. Jimmer's stock has been rising on draft boards for his shooting ability and basketball I.Q., so it's unclear if the Knicks, recently purged of a number of trade assets in the Carmelo Anthony deal, would have enough pieces to try to make a deal happen. Jimmer reportedly would have stayed in the Draft last year had the Knicks been able to make a first-round guarantee, but since they had no first-round pick, they could not do so.

There are plenty of expectations for the BYU star, who was the college Player of the Year this past season. And one of them is that he won't be available for the Knicks , who have the 17th overall pick in the NBA draft. But according to a person with knowledge of the situation, the Knicks are looking for a deal that will help them move up in the draft to land the sharpshooter from upstate Glens Falls.

The issue, of course, is the team's lack of assets to offer in a trade, which, right now, would be to offer either Toney Douglas or Landry Fields along with their pick.

Wow, this could get pretty crazy trade-wise on draft day. The Knicks would be doing themselves a HUGE favor if they trade up to get Jimmer. He's got an amazing shot, and if you put him in D'Antoni's offense, he could hit 4-5 per game.

Thoughts?

It would definitely help spread the floor. If they had a knock down shooter in the Celtics series it really would've been huge.

However, we really need to make it a priority to get a defensive, rebounding center. So I'm not sure how I feel about this.

This would be good is D'Antoni stays as head coach, but there seems to be the speculation that D'Antoni may not be back. With that said, I agree with JYD that the Knicks main focus should be on the defensive end.

Exactly what NY needs, another chucker that can't defend.

If I'm NY, I just stay at 17. There's no one really worth trading up for IMO after the top 10 players. I'd just stay at 17 and take Brooks. Has all the physical tools to be a two-way player, athleticism, 7+ foot wingspan. Or hell, go with Harris or Honeycutt or Vucevic.

D'Antoni needs to check himself. His entire style of playing only one end of the floor will win them nothing. Have to get tough defensively and learn to win that way too. The more ways you can win, the more ways you do win.