Wolves to Place Beasley on Trade Block if they Draft Derrick Williams

According to Jonathan Givony of Draft Express, the Minnesota Timberwolves will place Michael Beasley on the trade block if they draft Derrick Williams second overall.

http://www.rotoworld.com/images/headshots/NBA/1473.jpg

This shouldn't come as much of a surprise considering the depth that the team has at the small forward position, but the most interesting note is that the T-Wolves are attempting to change the "culture of the team" by executing a Beasley trade. Despite the fact that Beasley averaged 19.6 ppg last year, the former no. 2 overall pick could very well find himself with a third team in his fourth professional season.

rotoworld

This is going to be an interesting draft. Beasley does seem to be a great fit with the Wolves, and that's why I think it's very likely they try to deal the pick, but then again Williams might be a better talent. What teams do you guys see being interested in Beasley if he does indeed get placed on the block? And what would teams have to give up in return for him?

Thoughts?

The Nets wouldn't even think about trading Dooling for him one year ago, but they will probably have their eye on him this time around. At this point, re-signing Humphries is very likely, but you never know what could go down in negotiations.

yeah I agree, there is a reason the Wolves got him for practically nothing, and no other team wanted him..............though he apparently is a gym rat, so he might develop some more, but I wouldn't put money on it.

The Wolves may be a young team, but they have far too many mid to lower level prospects who could, but probably wont develop into anything special. Obviously Kevin Love had a break out season, but he still has plenty of questions surrounding his defensive game. On the other hand, Super Cool Beas, Wes Johnson, Jonny Flynn, even Rubio aren't particularly great prospects because of all the glaring holes in their games......but I really do hope that Rubio develops into something in the nba, because everyone seems to hate him for no reason at all.

On the other hand, Super Cool Beas, Wes Johnson, Jonny Flynn, even Rubio aren't particularly great prospects because of all the glaring holes in their games......but I really do hope that Rubio develops into something in the nba, because everyone seems to hate him for no reason at all.

I actually think Rubio is a tremendous prospect. The only major glaring hole in his game is his jumper, but that's one of the most correctable weaknesses a player can have. It's a lot more difficult to get a player to get better as a rebounder, ballhandler, passer or defender than it is to get him a respectable jumper (I'm not talking about a Ray Allen jumper, but moreso what guys like Rose, Wade and even Kidd have done over the years with their jumpers). He has amazing passing ability and vision, and from what I saw in his games against Team USA his defense is phenomenal at times.

Anyway, as for Beasley, I'd dump him for a veteran role player. He definitely has talent, but he's only proficient as an isolation volume scorer (which he does at very low efficiency). He's a disappointing rebounder (although solid), he's a horrible playmaker, a below average defender, and has a low basketball IQ. Now that the Wolves have a few decent prospects (including Rubio who can be their first legit starting PG in years), and an All-Star caliber player in Love, it is time to put some reliable, proven veterans around these guys. I think it will help with the development of their younger players and give the team a foundation. I think we've already seen what Beasley offers, and IMO it just isn't good enough to partially build around. Let the other prospects learn to be quality players, see what they can do with Williams (if they get him), and grab some veterans to solidify this team.

Edited by Nitro
  • Like 2

I actually think Rubio is a tremendous prospect. The only major glaring hole in his game is his jumper, but that's one of the most correctable weaknesses a player can have. It's a lot more difficult to get a player to get better as a rebounder, ballhandler, passer or defender than it is to get him a respectable jumper (I'm not talking about a Ray Allen jumper, but moreso what guys like Rose, Wade and even Kidd have done over the years with their jumpers). He has amazing passing ability and vision, and from what I saw in his games against Team USA his defense is phenomenal at times.

Anyway, as for Beasley, I'd dump him for a veteran role player. He definitely has talent, but he's only proficient as an isolation volume scorer (which he does at very low efficiency). He's a disappointing rebounder (although solid), he's a horrible playmaker, a below average defender, and has a low basketball IQ. Now that the Wolves have a few decent prospects (including Rubio who can be their first legit starting PG in years), and an All-Star caliber player in Love, it is time to put some reliable, proven veterans around these guys. I think it will help with the development of their younger players and give the team a foundation. I think we've already seen what Beasley offers, and IMO it just isn't good enough to partially build around. Let the other prospects learn to be quality players, see what they can do with Williams (if they get him), and grab some veterans to solidify this team.

Yeah, I have a high opinion of Rubio as well, but people's opinion of him is quite varied, and his stock has slipped a bit since he hasn't had a great season with Barcelona (although people don't seem to understand that European stats aren't as gaudy as NBA stats). He has qualities as a basketball player that you just can't teach - Amazing playmaking ability and a willingness to play tenacious defense. However he is still a question mark coming from overseas, and with so many good young point guards in the league at the moment, it's hard to see him becoming elite when he's not really a scorer and has a shaky jumpshot. I agree a jumpshot can be worked on, but it also makes it harder for players to adjust to the league when they don't have a jumper to fall back on, and I think that will make things difficult for Rubio initially because he'll be forced to make more plays for himself scoring wise.

We'll see though, I can't wait to see how he does.

He had a terrible season from what I've been reading, so maybe he just needs a change of scenery. I heard that the playing style of his coach and the amount of talent surrounding him has impeded his development as a player, so hopefully the transition will be easier for him. He needs to have the ball in his hands to be successful, what the coach was running in Spain just didn't fit Rubio's style.

With him being such a terrible scorer, it helps to be so skilled in other areas such as passing, rebounding, and defense. Hopefully the Wolves utilize his talents properly, in the sense that they allow him to run pick n rolls with Love and either Williams or Beasley. Biggest issue with Minnesota was their stagnant offense (among many other flaws), Rubio will inject some positive energy into it.

Hopefully Rambis is gone as head coach by next season, because he certainly hasn't done a good job developing talent, more specifically his point guards. The Flynn experiment was a disaster, Ramon Sessions got worse once he put on the Wolves uniform, Rubio can't afford to be in a system where he doesn't fit in.

Yeah, agree with Rambis needing the boot.............they need a coach that will instill an offense based on what his players can and can't do, not a coach that tries to force his own predetermined offense (the triangle) on players that don't really fit well (although K-Love is a great fit, just they don't have the perimeter players for it) and completely fail at it.

He had a terrible season from what I've been reading, so maybe he just needs a change of scenery. I heard that the playing style of his coach and the amount of talent surrounding him has impeded his development as a player, so hopefully the transition will be easier for him. He needs to have the ball in his hands to be successful, what the coach was running in Spain just didn't fit Rubio's style.

Not only did the coach's style effect his play, but I think the NBA style of play will greatly benefit Rubio. With bigger court, longer 3pt line, refs and overall style, he will have a ton more room to operate and penetrate, which is something the international game doesn't allow a ton of. In the NBA he will be able to penetrate the lane a lot easier, thus opening up a ton of opportunities to make plays for himself and for his teammates.

What's impressive is that despite being an off the ball player in Barca, he lead all PG's in steals and rebounds, while being in the top 3 in assists over the last two years. Even Hollinger admitted that Euro players tend to see a good increase in scoring and efficiency when making the transition to the NBA, as well as an increase in assists and rebounds.

I can think a lot of teams willing to take Beasley. The Cavs, Clips, Hornets, Warriors, Magic, Kings. He has a role in the NBA, I just don't think you'll win if he's your number 1 option offensively.

As for Rambis, I don't think he's as bad a coach as his record indicates. They played a lot of close games this year and held their own against some of the better teams. It takes time to learn the Triangle. Veterans like Odom, Artest, and Blake had and still have trouble with it. With a young team it'll take longer. I'd like to see what Rambis does with Rubio before giving him the ax.