Bryant extension next?

Now that Odom has been re-signed, Kupchak said he and his staff will now ``turn to the future, beyond this season.''

He wouldn't specify whether that meant he'd open talks with Kobe Bryant's agent Rob Pelinka on a contract extension, but all indications are that discussions about that very issue will begin immediately.

Earlier this summer, Bryant said he was content to let the organization take care of unrestricted free agents Trevor Ariza, Shannon Brown and Odom before beginning extension talks with him.

``Mitch has a lot on his plate,'' Bryant said during an interview in early July. ``I'd rather him take care of those pieces first. But he'll get around to me.''

http://www.insidesocal.com/lakers/2009/07/bryant-extension-next.html

This is going to be tough, because Lebron and Wade's contract are up soon, so who knows if Kobe wants to wait and see what they're getting? I don't know if he'll still make the same 20 mil a year because of the economy. And granted hes the best player in the NBA but he is getting older. Although this is about the time where MJ got his second 3peat. So time will tell. Im sure he'll be a Laker forever though.

The fact that Kobe's going to play every game of his career in LA is going to put him among the greats, that loyalty is worth a lot (although he only had to get through a few rough seasons his whole career).

I think the draft day Vlade for Kobe trade payed off.