Dwight says he'll opt out of contract after next season

Dash

TREVISO, Italy -- Dwight Howard reaffirmed his desire to stay with the Magic, but told NBA.com on Monday that he will definitely become a free agent rather than sign an extension in the next year and also left open the possibility he would reconsider his future in Orlando if the team does not win the title next season.

Speaking during a break at the adidas Eurocamp as part of a tour of the continent for the shoe company, Howard joked with reporters at a news conference and appeared in good spirits.

In a one-on-one interview afterward, though, he made it clear he is not happy with the collective personality of Orlando's roster and that changes need to be made. The same message, he said, was delivered to owner Rich DeVos and CEO Bob Vander Weide in a meeting last week that included Howard sharing thoughts on everything from personnel to fan involvement and arena atmosphere at home games.

"I want to win a championship," the All-Star center said. "I think the owners have to really know that. That's been my goal and my mission since I've been in the NBA -- to win a championship. I don't have side goals or agendas. My main goal is to win a championship. I want to have 14 other guys who feel the same way."

Asked if the Magic have that now, he said, "It's off and on. Sometimes guys are there whole-heartedly and then sometimes I've had teammates allow people getting in their ears and things like that effect the way that they play and approach the game."

Howard said he did not tell DeVos and Vander Weide specific roster moves he wanted to see.

"I just told them, 'We've got to have guys who are going to play hard 48 minutes and who are going to battle the other team, who are going to fight night in and night out for a championship,' " he said.

The topic would be pressing enough with a large payroll and a first-round playoff loss. Management cannot be happy, either, with the early exit two years after winning the Eastern Conference crown. That the face of the franchise is expected to opt out of the final season of his contract and become a free agent in summer 2012 makes the alarm sound even louder.

The Magic have a two-year extension on the table, the longest deal they can offer under the Collective Bargaining Agreement that expires June 30. Howard made it clear Monday, though, that he will become a free agent and not sign an extension.

"There's no other place I'd rather be besides Orlando," he said. "As of right now, that's my home. I just want to stay in Orlando as long as I can.

"That's the truth. I don't have to keep things calm or anything. This is how I really feel in my heart. A lot of people want to see me go other places, but I want to stay in Orlando. I have a beautiful home there. There are beautiful people down there. My son is in Orlando. He's getting a lot older and I want to be there to see as many moments as I can of his life."

And if the Magic do not win the 2012 championship and the personality of the roster stays the same?

"Then things have to change," Howard told NBA.com.

Including your address?

"At the end of the day, as far as what I want to accomplish as a basketball player, to be one of the greats, you have to win championships," he said. "That's how I see it. I want to do that in Orlando, and hopefully we can get it done.... Everybody's asking me from the beginning of the season until today where am I playing in a year? Am I getting traded? I have no clue. As of right now, I want to be in Orlando."

http://www.nba.com/2011/news/06/13/dwight-howard-free-agency-future/index.html?rss=true

Magic should definitely look at trading options, not have a long drawn out distraction like other teams have gone through with stars. He's basically saying if they don't win a championship next year he's gone lol well I don't see that happening so you might as well start thinking long-term and try to get draft picks or salary relief.

Magic are 3rd in team payroll overall and have that ugly Gilbert Arenas contract also.

Magic should definitely look at trading options, not have a long drawn out distraction like other teams have gone through with stars. He's basically saying if they don't win a championship next year he's gone lol well I don't see that happening so you might as well start thinking long-term and try to get draft picks or salary relief.

Magic are 3rd in team payroll overall and have that ugly Gilbert Arenas contract also.

Any team that wants to get Dwight will probably have to take back one of their ugly contracts (Arenas or Hedo). If the Magic could move one of them and get back some youth and picks then I think they'll pull the trigger.

We'll probably get a better idea of who the front runners are later in the summer, but right now the top two have to be the Lakers and Nets.

The Magic have continued to [expletive] themselves over since they gave Rashard Lewis that massive contract, and they are in this position by their own doing. I don't see how they can possibly make a move to give Dwight the 2nd superstar needed to compete in the East, so they must trade him before they get the Cleveland/Toronto treatment.

The Lakers have a huge trade chip in Bynum, but his stock will rest on his health from now up until the trade deadline. They also could dangle Odom or Gasol in that trade as well, which is the luxery they have from having such a talented/deep frontcourt. The Nets have Brook Lopez, who is a reliable, proven 20PPG big man, and also the cap flexibility to take on big contracts and also provide draft picks. OKC has Westbrook, Harden, Ibaka and Perkins (assuming he resigns) they could use as trade bait, however they are in a market that Dwight may not approve of. Chicago has Noah who may be of interest for the Magic. And if the Heat panic, they might just consider doing a straight LeBron for Dwight trade. I am sure NY will be in trade discussions, but they have 0 prospects they can offer.

It's gonna be interesting. Those teams, besides NY, all have pretty lucrative pieces the Magic can take back.

If the Magic want to win a title THIS year, the first move they have to make is starting Ryan Anderson and having Brandon Bass come off the bench. Anderson is too effective playing off Howard to be playing so few minutes. He can score 16-17 a game if he's given 30 minutes. To show his impact, in the 2 games in which he played over 25 minutes in the Magic/Hawks series, the Magic won both of those games. After that lineup switch, they should consider trading Hedo or Arenas for a legit shooting guard. If they can't maybe they can sign Anthony Parker to a MLE. If they can lose a big contract, maybe they could sign JR Smith. Finally, they need to sign a back up center.

And if Dwight himself can become more aggressive and become a leader of his team, that in itself should be able to take the Magic past the 1st round every year, and possibly the 2nd round.

Edited by Cleveland's Finest

that lineup switch, they should consider trading Hedo or Arenas for a legit shooting guard.

Who would give them a decent player in return for either of these players? And they had a legit shooting guard this season, Jason Richardson, along with those 2 players and they still couldn't get past the first round.

If they can't maybe they can sign Anthony Parker to a MLE.

Parker isn't worth the full MLE. He'll be 36 next season and doesn't offer anything besides shoot 3's at a solid clip and defend. He'd be a nice addition for close to the minimum, but giving him the full MLE would be the Magic once again overpaying for a role player, which is one of the things that got them in this position to begin with.

And if Dwight himself can become more aggressive and become a leader of his team, that in itself should be able to take the Magic past the 1st round every year, and possibly the 2nd round.

He averaged 27/16 on 63% shooting against the Hawks in the playoffs and they lost in 6, so obviously it'll take more than just Dwight.

He averaged 27/16 on 63% shooting against the Hawks in the playoffs and they lost in 6, so obviously it'll take more than just Dwight.

Still doesn't mean he's a leader. He can set an example on the court, but he needs to be the captain of that team. He needs to get in their faces during games, not say comments during the offseason about wanting players who win.

Heck, I'll go as far as to say LeBron did a better job as captain for the Cavs then Dwight. LeBron always credited his teammates and instilled the mind set that it's championship or bust.

If they get a guy like Parker, I think they could bring J-Rich off the bench as the 6th man imo. Then they wouldn't need to trade for a guy like Smith.

Still doesn't mean he's a leader. He can set an example on the court, but he needs to be the captain of that team. He needs to get in their faces during games, not say comments during the offseason about wanting players who win.

Heck, I'll go as far as to say LeBron did a better job as captain for the Cavs then Dwight. LeBron always credited his teammates and instilled the mind set that it's championship or bust.

Dwight was saying these things DURING the season, in regards to his teammates and how it's either hit-or-miss about their desire to win. It's nothing new. It says in the article how some of them crumble when they get criticized by their teammates. I don't know what more you want. And on the court he was incredible last season, arguably a top 3 player in the league. He still has a few holes in his game (ability to pass out of the post consistently, free throw shooting), but he was absolutely dominant last year.

If they get a guy like Parker, I think they could bring J-Rich off the bench as the 6th man imo. Then they wouldn't need to trade for a guy like Smith.

Smith is a FA this summer and probably will only command the MLE.

You don't think Smith is looking to sign long-term?

The MLE can be a long-term deal.

And Dwight may say these things, but it's still not rubbing off on his teammates on the court.

Considering Arenas' and Hedo's histories, it's not unreasonable to assume Dwight isn't the problem there. And there is only so many things you can do with words when it comes to being the leader of the team...talent and coaching is what makes a champion, and the Magic do not have enough talent to compete (even if they get Smith and keep Richardson, who is a FA I believe), don't have the flexibility to sign any real star to put alongside Dwight, and the jury is still out on SVG. In other words, Orlando is not a great situation to be in for Dwight...not with teams like Chicago, Miami and NY on the rise in their own conference.

• Owner

Drew is Jim Buss' boy, but I pray he's not ignorant enough to actually decline a trade, even if it involved Gilbert. The amnesty clause (which will most likely happen) will give us the opportunity to toss Arenas, so any deal for Dwight has to be done, unless it involves trading Bryant (and I doubt the organization does that to him).

In regards to him staying in Orlando, I'm not a believer. He's giving too many indications that he wants out. He knows they aren't going to win it all next year. When the guy starts taking pictures with a Lakers hat on (despite wearing his Orlando jersey in the picture as well), and actually coming out in an interview and saying he would love to play with Kobe before he retires...then declining a two-year extension, it just sounds more like a Shaq situation to me.