Wizards don't want to move McGee for #2 pick?

Dash

For weeks the most realistic partner appeared to be the Wizards if they were willing to part JaVale McGee. However, sources in Washington claim that they don't want to trade McGee. McGee is a talent, albeit an immature one. But finding young 7-footers is hard to do, and the Wizards wouldn't have a natural replacement for him if they traded him.

http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/blog?name=nba_draft&id=6672205&action=login&appRedirect=http%3a%2f%2finsider.espn.go.com%2fnba%2fblog%3fname%3dnba_draft%26id%3d6672205

Bad move. McGee has a ton of talent but with his immaturity and low basketball IQ, I wouldn't bank on talent alone especially when you could move him for Derrick Williams and form one of the best young tandems with Wall.

• Owner

I think there's probably a bit of uncertainty there, though. Cleveland has worked out Derrick Williams, and rumor has it that Cleveland and Minnesota are the only two teams he'll be working out for.

If Cleveland takes Williams at #1 (who really knows at this point?), where would that leave Washington at #2? They wouldn't need Irving or Knight. Would they be okay with Kanter? I don't see why.

I think there's probably a bit of uncertainty there, though. Cleveland has worked out Derrick Williams, and rumor has it that Cleveland and Minnesota are the only two teams he'll be working out for.

If Cleveland takes Williams at #1 (who really knows at this point?), where would that leave Washington at #2? They wouldn't need Irving or Knight. Would they be okay with Kanter? I don't see why.

I think they should still go for it. If Irving slips past the Cavs then the 2nd pick is suddenly very, very appealing and the Wizards could get much value for it then they would for McGee.

• Owner

I think they should still go for it. If Irving slips past the Cavs then the 2nd pick is suddenly very, very appealing and the Wizards could get much value for it then they would for McGee.

I agree, I would make the trade every time it was offered...I'm just trying to make sense of the quote. McGee isn't that big of a deal.

It was turned down for two reasons:

1. Doesn't fit Ted's plan of rebuilding, he likes his core guys.

2. The offer was Mcgee+#6 for the #2 pick, which understandably was declined.

I see a player who will always give you glimpses of an all star talent, but will always leave you wanting more. Very similar to Blatche's situation a year ago before we extended him, we had a chance to move him, he didn't progress, and has no value to other teams.

But who knows, maybe it's a smoke screen... after all Ted Leonsis did deny reports of Gilbert being traded.

It was turned down for two reasons:

1. Doesn't fit Ted's plan of rebuilding, he likes his core guys.

2. The offer was Mcgee+#6 for the #2 pick, which understandably was declined.

I see a player who will always give you glimpses of an all star talent, but will always leave you wanting more. Very similar to Blatche's situation a year ago before we extended him, we had a chance to move him, he didn't progress, and has no value to other teams.

But who knows, maybe it's a smoke screen... after all Ted Leonsis did deny reports of Gilbert being traded.

Agreed, Mcgee+ #6 for the #2 pick is not all that of a wise trade. Especially if Cleveland takes Williams with the number one pick (which i think they will).

It could just be that Washington isn't that much in love with Williams. As physically gifted as he is, he's still stuck between positions much like Beasley. Does he have the guard skills to play the 3? Does he have the size to defend 4s?

For all of McGee's faults, he's still a 7 footer that swats. That's valuable in this league. Finding a compitent center is hard, having to trade one is harder. There aren't many legit centers that'll be around for Washington at 18 except maybe Vucevic. But is Williams + Vucevic better than McGee + 6th pick? Dunno.

• Owner

Adding the sixth pick wouldn't make sense to me. That could be Kawhi Leonard. Alec Burks will be there at six. There will be a few more bigs to pick from...maybe even Kanter. Washington could fill some needs.