Valanciunas to miss next NBA season?

Dash

Valanciunas update: Sources say buyout agreement close, however, buyout won't allow Valanciunas to play in NBA next season.

If Valanciunas can't play in NBA next year, he'll drop. Cavs won't take him at 4. Still I doubt he slips past the Rockets at 14.

http://twitter.com/#!/chadfordinsider

Even if he isn't able to play in the league next season, I'd be absolutely shocked if he goes any later than 8 to the Pistons. He is simply too good of a prospect in an otherwise very weak draft for him to fall to the bottom of the lottery. I know I would be pretty upset if the Raptors passed on him (assuming Knight is gone) and drafted somebody like Biyombo smply because he may not be able to play next season.

To add to this, the fact that a lockout is likely makes it even dumber to pass on a guy because he might not play in the NBA next season considering the fact that there might not even be a season next year.

There is no reason why he should go any later than 6th as far as I am concerned. In a stronger draft, sure, this may be an issue but in a weak draft like this you don't pass on him simply because he might not be with your team next year.

stevekylerNBA Steve Kyler

Valanciunas says his agent still working buyout, but he could play in the NBA next season if his NBA team wants him too

I still don't see why him potentially not playing in the NBA next season is such a big deal considering the looming lockout and the simple fact that he is without a doubt a top 5 prospect in this draft, but it sounds like it isn't set in stone that he won't play next year.

If he's available at #10 (doubtful) I'd love for the Bucks to grab him. I don't have high hopes for us next season either way so he can take his time getting over here. With any luck when he arrives he'll also be coming with someone like Sullinger, Jones, or Barnes. :glasses: