'Columbo' Star Peter Falk Dead at 83

LOS ANGELES (KTLA) -- Legendary "Columbo" star Peter Falk has died at the age of 83.

Falk "died peacefully at his Beverly Hills home in the evening of June 23, 2011," a rep tells KTLA.

The actor had been suffering from dementia and Alzheimer's disease, according to his adopted daughter, Catherine Falk.

In 2009, a judge established a conservatorship for the ailing actor after a court battle between Catherine and Falk's wife of 34 years, actress Shera Danese Falk. His wife was appointed conservator.

Falk won four Emmys for his starring role in the television detective series, "Columbo." He also received Academy Award nominations for movies in 1959 and 1960.

Falk portrayed "Columbo" on 69 episodes from 1968 to 2003.

He also starred in "Princess Bride," "Brigadoon" and "The Great Race."

Falk is survived by his wife and two daughters from a previous marriage.

http://www.ktla.com/news/landing/ktla-peter-falk-obit,0,7288457.story

Well I might be the only one who cares so I would not be surprised if no one else posted in this thread, but I had to start it anyway. Cause Peter Falk is one of my favorite actors ever. And Columbo is my favorite TV show ever ( and I usually don't watch a lot of TV shows).

This TV show is just unique (even if, again, I would not be surprised if I was the only here to like it...). Contrary to a lot of other crime fictions we know who the murderer is right at the beginning of the episode (except for a couple). The interesting part is to see HOW the lieutenant is gonna resolve the crime and find the murderer. Besides that the point of the show is to show that rich people can be murderers too (as a matter of fact all the murderers in that show are wealthy, they are either doctors, movie stars, writers, musicians, etc, etc, etc...). And this show is a very interesting analysis of the human nature. And of course there was the presence of the lieutenant, with his cheap cigars, his very old French car, his dog and his unprepossessing appearance and apparent absentmindedness which was meant to "trap" the murderer and make him underestimate Columbo's GREAT intelligence.

Peter Falk also played in many movies. My personal favorite of him are "Wings of Desire" (a pure masterpiece by Wim Wenders, which was one of Peter's best friends, definitely one of my 10 favorite movies ever) and "Husbands" (a very rare movie by John Cassavettes, who was also very good friend with Peter). And he made of course a lot of other great movies... I just mentioned those two cause they are my very favorites of him. I definitely advise everyone to watch those two jewels. I might watch one of them tonight or this week end as a tribute to this great actor.

Here's a video of Peter Falk, as Columbo, at Dean Martin Roast in 1977. We can see in this video how AMAZING an actor he truly was, because he managed to improvise this great bit without dropping out of character, NOT EVEN FOR A SECOND. I was very impressed the first time I saw that, even if I already knew that he was a fantastic actor :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yuevpFTS_po&feature=related

Well anyway it's very sad news. I can't say that I'm very surprised as he was very ill but I have to admit that it still comes as a shock to me...

So long Mr Falk. You'll always live in our hearts.

http://www.smh.com.au/ffximage/2008/12/17/peter_falk_narrowweb__300x403,0.jpg

Edited by Oliver P