Cavs Trade Hickson to Kings

Cavs have traded J.J. Hickson to the Kings for Omri Casspi and a future first round pick.

ABJCavsInsider Jason Lloyd

#Cavs are trading J.J. Hickson to Kings for SF Omri Casspi, future 1st rd pick, per league sources. Story upcoming on Ohio.com

Link

Pick is probably lottery protected but I don't see why it was necessary to include it just to get Hickson. Casspi is a good fit though, Irving is going to love his off-ball skills.

I wouldn't be surprised if there are more deals later. Today is sort of another trade deadline with the lockout just 12 hours away.

Evans plays the 2 and Thornton at the 3. I'm not sure if Hickson will be in the starting lineup beyond this season since there will be a glut of power forwards in the 2012 draft class. Either way that is very solid foundation, Evans and Cousins just need to mature.

First is lottery protected.

sam_amick Sam Amick

The Cavs' new first round pick is lottery protected next year, then goes down to top-10 protected in 2013 and declines from there...

• Owner

Evans plays the 2 and Thornton at the 3. I'm not sure if Hickson will be in the starting lineup beyond this season since there will be a glut of power forwards in the 2012 draft class. Either way that is very solid foundation, Evans and Cousins just need to mature.

According to a few sources, the Kings are going to play Evans more at the point. Thornton didn't play the three with Sacramento last year. He's strictly a two-guard.

If Jimmer comes in playing like a starter, he'll get the job, Evans will play the two, and Thornton will come off the bench behind Evans, who will play the point in the second unit.

Wow...that was unexpected. It wasn't too long ago that we all thought Phoenix was going to give them Amare for HIckson. :o

Yeah, I was thinking the exact same thing. I would've thought they would have gotten way more value for Hickson.

I'm an idiot. I knew something was off when I read Thornton and Udrih were in the starting lineup last season, forgot Tyreke was injured during that time.

Anyways I'm not a big fan of having Thornton, Evans and Fredette all in the backcourt even if one of them will be coming off the bench. Too many of those "I need the ball in my hands to be effective" types and there is also Cousins.

• Owner

Just saw your post about the pick being lottery-protected. The Kings stole Hickson, no doubt about it. In two years, if the Kings are on the bubble, the Cavs will have a late lottery pick, which means there's a big chance of nothing coming out of it.

• Owner
Protection specifics on pick going from Kings to Cavs: Protected 1-to-14 in 2012

1-to-13 in 2013

1-to-12 in 2014

1-to-10 from 2015-2017

http://twitter.com/#!/STEIN_LINE_HQ/status/86498385774903296

What the hell? Cleveland must think Casspi is a future all-star.

^That protection makes the deal much better for the Kings. I wouldn't say they "stole" Hickson though, the pick will likely be a mid first rounder (Kings will be in the playoffs conversation by 2013) and Casspi is a damn good prospect that just couldn't find a niche in Sacramento.

Hickson can score the ball and rebound but ideally the Kings would want a shotblocking defensive 4 (Biyombo anyone?) next to Cousins. Hickson doesn't fit that bill, which is why I've been skeptical about this deal.

Still, one would imagine that Hickson would warrant more than a prospect and a mid first rounder. Shows what a poor team W-L record does to a player's trade value.

Both teams got what they want. Kings finds a mate for Cousins in the frontcourt and Cavs gets rid of the playing time distribution problems they would have faced with Samuels, Thompson, Jamison and Hickson.

I swear, even under a new GM, this Cavs team lacks any sense of direction. Just last year under Danny Ferry, they thought Hickson was going to be a key piece of their franchise, and decided to reject the Amare deal (which probably would have convinced LBJ to stay). I know they have Tristian now, but it's no reason to just give up Hickson for nothing, I'm sure they could have gotten more. Casspi is a cry baby, he complains about playing time, he doesn't play defense, and he does nothing outstanding on offense. Kings definitely won this trade.

After Varejao went down, Hickson was averaging close to 14ppg and 9rpg. You just don't give that type of potential up for a bench player like Casspi.

• Owner

^That protection makes the deal much better for the Kings. I wouldn't say they "stole" Hickson though, the pick will likely be a mid first rounder (Kings will be in the playoffs conversation by 2013) and Casspi is a damn good prospect that just couldn't find a niche in Sacramento.

Hickson can score the ball and rebound but ideally the Kings would want a shotblocking defensive 4 (Biyombo anyone?) next to Cousins. Hickson doesn't fit that bill, which is why I've been skeptical about this deal.

Casspi a prospect? I don't see him as much of anything. That mid-first is not worth Hickson.

The Kings aren't going to play defense to begin with, so they will be more like the Kings of old, who weren't that bad when they were feuding with us (LA). That team did well with two very poor defensive players up front (Webb and Divac, eventually Miller), so I don't see that being a problem if they are looking to get into playoff mode right now. Eventually, they can pick up an anchor, but right now, there aren't any to add.

Sources said the Cavs have been trying to trade Hickson for 6 weeks. This was the best offer they have gotten. We have a ton of PF's and 0 SF's, and we get a mid first round pick as well. Hickson fell out of favor in a lot of Cav's fans eyes by supporting LBJ (showing him love during the games, was on twitter during the finals saying "LeBron go get you one boy!"). And the Cavs must be high on Thompson to where they want him to get as much playing time as possible to let him grow. It didn't make sense for us to keep Hickson after we drafted Thompson (both young PF's), so we get a young SF (where we have 0 SF's) AND a mid first rounder. Also, Hickson will be a free agent soon (after next season I believe, but I could be wrong) and he will want a lot of money.

Hickson has a lot of upside, and he showed that in some games last year (some 25+ point games and 12+ rebound games), but then other games he would completely disappear. The Cavs did what they thought was best and got the most they could for him. It's easy to say he is worth more, but if nobody is going to offer more, then what else are you supposed to do? Take what you can get and go from there.

• Owner

It's easy to say he is worth more, but if nobody is going to offer more, then what else are you supposed to do?

Package him with someone else, and get a better deal.

There are many, many other SF's that would produce better, and have a better attitude, than Casspi.

Plus, that pick's protection is ridiculous. Basically, if the Kings don't make the playoffs, you guys aren't getting a pick next year, and if they finish two spots outside of the playoffs two years from now, you don't get it, either. It's almost like you're playing Blackjack with the pick, your hand is 17, and you choose to hit.

Cleveland should've just shopped him in February, or tried to deal him on draft night, for a mid-first that was actually going to be theirs that same night. I had a feeling they were trying to get a top 10 with him, and it didn't work out, so they settled and waited until now.

I would have dealt Hickson to the Suns on draft night for the 13th pick and take Kawhi Leonard. Would have made sense for both sides unless the Suns like Markieff Morris more than Hickson.

Package him with someone else, and get a better deal.

Plus, that pick's protection is ridiculous. Basically, if the Kings don't make the playoffs, you guys aren't getting a pick next year, and if they finish two spots outside of the playoffs two years from now, you don't get it, either. It's almost like you're playing Blackjack with the pick, your hand is 17, and you choose to hit.

Cleveland should've just shopped him in February, or tried to deal him on draft night, for a mid-first that was actually going to be theirs that same night. I had a feeling they were trying to get a top 10 with him, and it didn't work out, so they settled and waited until now.

I'm sure they tried to package him with other players. Maybe GM's didn't think he was as good as some of you on here think he is. If the best you can get for a good potential PF (when you just drafted a young PF) is a young SF (where you have a HUGE need) and a mid-first round pick, then I'll take it. If they could have gotten more in the 6 weeks they were trying to trade him, don't you think they would have done it? And in February I'm sure they didn't know they would be drafting a PF with the 4th pick in the draft, so they probably didn't want to move him then.

And yeah, the protection does suck. But the Kinds could contend for a playoff spot in a few years, so we might luck out. And hey, even when you hit on 17, every once in awhile you get a 3 or 4. :glasses: :lol:

JJ is good and has all-star potential, but it's about time we moved on. Byron Scott and JJ clashed the first few months of the season, and while JJ had a solid finish to the season, you have to look at the big picture. It seems the Cavs drafted Tristan because they are over JJ. We might as well trade him now and get the right players around Kyrie and Tristan. I like Omri because he plays hard like Andy, and he's got great shooting ability. We also got the draft pick to either use or hold onto as a trade asset.

I'm fine with this deal. JJ is NOT as good as you guys are making him out to be. Three years in, he's still prone to many mistakes, and if the organization isn't confident in him, there's no use keeping him.

I don't get why the Kings are giving up on Jason Thompson, and I thought Casspi was a part of their long term plans.

Good luck to JJ!

Edited by Cleveland's Finest