Mavericks' Fernandez could leave team to play in Spain

Real Madrid To Offer Six-Year Deal To Fernandez

The Mavericks didn't make a splash in this year's draft with a high-profile rookie selection, but they did find a way to turn the 26th pick into a proven guard in former Trail Blazer Rudy Fernandez.

But could their new player be ready to bolt for the chance to play in Spain? As Spanish newspaper Mundo Deportivo reported on Sunday, Real Madrid is set to take advantage of the NBA lockout by offering Fernandez a chance to come back home to Spain with a proposed six-year deal for roughly $4.35 million a year.

Fernandez was set to $2.2 million next season before becoming a restricted free agent with an option of $3.2 million for 2012-13.

Based on the numbers, it would make financial sense for Fernandez to leave Dallas for Spain. But the report says he'd honor his deal with the Mavericks when the lockout ends, and then leave the NBA and head home after this year, meaning fans shouldn't get used to seeing him in a Dallas uniform.

With the lockout keeping ownership and players from talking to each other, the team will have to wait and see what Fernandez decides to do.

Dallas Morning News,

Edited by ChosenOne

He turned down the offer.

Rudy Fernandez will pass on a six-year, $26 million offer from Real Madrid.

Fernandez would have become the highest-paid player in the Spanish ACB.

Fernandez is due to make just $2.2 million during the 11-12 season before becoming a restricted free agent next summer.

Dallas traded its 26th overall pick, Jordan Hamilton, to the Portland Trail Blazers for Fernandez as part of a three-team, draft-night swap. The Mavs also sent the 57th pick to Portland and received point guard Petteri Koponen.

According to the report from Marca.com, support from Mark Cuban helped convince Fernandez to decline the offer.

http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/214556/Fernandez_Passes_On_$26M_Offer_From_Real_Madrid

I actually thought he would leave for sure considering how things have gone for him since coming to the NBA, especially last season. I didn't think he would turn down that kind of money.

Very good decision from Rudy. As I said many times, it's true that he didn't play at the expected level in Portland but first he wasn't in the right conditions to succeed (sometimes being in the right place at the right time helps a lot...) and second he's still very young and it would be way too soon to get back to Europe. He HAS to give the NBA another shot, especially that he's gonna be in a better condition in Dallas.

Now if he keeps struggling then and only then it will be better for him to get back to Europe. It wouldn't be wise to do like Moïso did and stay on an NBA bench at the age of 30 that's for sure, Moïso wasted his career that way but that's just too bad for him... I was never too high on him anyhow. But again it's different for Rudy as he's still very young right now.

Other European teams will be willing to pay him that much anyhow. He is definitely right to give it another shot and I hope for him that he's gonna succeed.