OTR Two Years Ago

I was just thinking about it, and didn't see a thread about it, but a few weeks ago was two years since OTR was hacked and was started up again. Damn, time flies by. :blink: .

I remember everybody being in that chat-room and trying to figure out who the person that hacked the site was. That was a very interesting night.

We didn't know it was hacked, we thought B took it down, everyone was so pissed :lol:

We didn't know it was hacked, we thought B took it down, everyone was so pissed :lol:

I think that was because he shut it down soon before that as well, right? I'm pretty sure that's what happened, and then it got hacked soon after. I can't believe that was two years ago.

That's when we still had Matt(Deisel), Paul (N4S), Mason (HisGreatness), Guyla (BeanBurrito), and some other members. We didn't even have the real DBF yet. :lol:

Speaking of the real DBF, I hope it's been a month so I can change my name. I feel dirty with this name.

Edited by DaBearsfan101

• Owner

Yeah, I never really actually talked about that day (or the couple of days after). Basically, the hack happened through an SQL injection (says my old host). A week before that (or around that time), my hard drive fried...so I didn't have any of my backups, didn't have banner PSD's, nothing. I also lost all of those player pages and images I worked on.

So, I asked the host for a backup, and they told me they didn't have any...which blew my mind, and if there was any way I could tell you guys, accurately, how pissed off I was...you'd be shocked. We (as a site) lost about 4 1/2 years of posts, and all of the work I had done on the team and player pages...it was gone. I ended up slamming my fist on my desk really hard, and it busted off a chunk of it, so I had to go buy a new desk.

Someone said a guy was bragging about it on another site, but I never found out who. I think someone was paid to do it. I had updated the site frequently, and it would take a very knowledgeable person to hack into these forums OR Wordpress (both were being used at that time as well).

I don't remember shutting the board down in that year. I did that in June or July 2008 (because of how bad it was getting for Lakers fans, after losing to Boston, and the personal attacks were insane). The board was hacked in June or July 2009, a year later.

A lot of people (people I won't bother naming) decided not to come back to OTR after the posts were lost. I have no idea why, honestly. A few were really good members, had a good relationship with everyone, one was on staff if I recall correctly, but they walked. I was irate about losing 600k posts, but I didn't feel like that was a good reason to leave, but I'll leave it at that.

Speaking of the real DBF, I hope it's been a month so I can change my name. I feel dirty with this name.

I might as well just change them back for both of you. It's been long enough.

• Owner

I gotta disagree about us doing fine. I realize we're a basketball message board, and that there's a lockout, but even then, we can't live off of just 100 posts a day.

Less and less people are using message boards, and we're a veteran site with veteran posters. We'll take the hit from it before many others because a lot of our members are working full-time, or going to college full-time, paying bills, etc.

I brought RealGM up the other day, and I went over there to look at their activity...and it's pretty low in some team forums, which is surprising because, just two years ago, it wasn't like that. RGM was basically 30 different team message board sites, and that's just talking about the NBA, plus an OTR (in regards to their General NBA section).

I know everyone has suggestions, but the numbers haven't been looking good for a long time now. We have to find a way to bring in new blood before we try anything else.

I'll think of something, but it's really not the right time to try anything big. I'm crossing my fingers that these players and owners man up and get shit done. Right now, we're in survival mode. The hack was obviously the worst thing that has ever happened to us, but this is right behind it.