MLS All-Stars vs. Manchester United

Cobb

Time: 9:00 pm ET

TV: ESPN2

MLS All-Stars: Mondragon; Franklin, Ream, Olave, Convey; Beckham, Joseph, Davis; Henry, Bravo, Cummings

Manchester United: Lindergaard; Evra, Ferdinand, Vidic, Jones; Young, Anderson, Carrick, JS Park; Rooney; Berbatov

The MLS is never going to develop into anything more then a middle-tier league and frowned upon by supporters of European clubs because of games like this. What is the benefit for the MLS by getting hammered year in and year out to Manchester United or Barcelona or whoever? I post on a Whitecaps forum, this echoes my thoughts on it, but he puts it better then I could I think:

I've said my piece on another thread: MLS teams should NOT play Man Utd, Chelski, Barca, Real Madrid, AC Milan, Inter, or Bayern Munich, ie clubs that have just won, or could win, the European Championship. They should play the big fish in the smaller leagues (Celtic, Rangers, Ajax, Benfica, Olympique Marseille) or they should play "the challengers" from England, Spain, Germany, or Italy, like Valencia, Roma, Liverpool, or Schalke; or they should consider playing the top and most recognisable Latin clubs, like Mexico's America, Corinthians or Flamengo, or Boca Juniors.

4-0 trouncings do not serve their purpose, which is to attempt to show that MLS players and teams could compete in some of the world's bigger leagues.

In my opinion, I don't think this game affects the MLS one way or another just as a win would not have. The league can't measure itself against Europe's best and won't be able to for many years.