Why I Want LeBron to Fail Forever (Article)

Part 1: Understanding LeBron AS Cleveland

Everyone has an opinion of LeBron James. It may not be a stretch to say that after Barack Obama and Sarah Palin, more Americans have an opinion about LeBron James than any other living person. I attended a banquet for an engineering professional society last Thursday and spent some time meeting the wives of my colleagues. At one point I was engaged in a lengthy conversation with an extremely outgoing 60-year-old woman from Panama. After covering a wide spectrum of topics she asked me “who do you like for the basketball?” ”You mean the Heat vs the Mavs?” I asked. ”Yes, who you like?” In the past I’d have answered a question like this with “I just want to see a good series.” After all, she may have family in Miami, or have a particular fondness for Udonis Haslem – who knows. I don’t think about things like that any more because I don’t think when it comes to LeBron James and the Miami Heat – I just react. So I answered the sweet lady “I want Dallas to destroy Miami – I really hate that team.” After I said it I realized the tone of my answer was incredibly out of place next to the high-level pleasantries that were being exchanged. She smiled and said “GOOD! I CAN NOT STAND JAMES LEBRON!” She seemed genuinely excited and continued: “Listen to this! I heard a VERY funny joke. I gave LeBron one dollar bill and ask him for change. He give me seventy-five cents!!!!!” I laughed convincingly despite failing to comprehend. Later, through twitter, I understood that LeBron wasn’t able to give the poor old lady a 4th quarter. Everyone has an opinion of LeBron James and I am no different. But understanding why I want LeBron James to fail at basketball for the rest of his life requires a deeper understanding of the prism through which I view LeBron James.

I grew up in a Cleveland suburb and was indoctrinated at an early age about where my loyalties lie. I knew my teams were the Browns, Indians, and Cavs. It was an easy concept for me even as a child – these were MY TEAMS, the best of the best representing me, my family, my neighbors, my community. These weren’t overpaid, selfish, prima-dona, egotistical, godless athletes setting out to claim their place among the gods – they were strong, hard-working, blue-collar, God-fearing underdogs. Maybe that was my mistake – being a 6-year-old with role models, a naive romanticized understanding of professional sports (the same one that every single professional league wants us to embrace) and never really growing out of it. My father definitely fostered my admiration for Cleveland’s professional athletes. He knew my favorite player was Mark Price and he believed (as I do to this day) that Price was a worthy role-model. A 6-foot farm boy that became the best shooter in the history of the NBA and played the game the right way. A second round draft pick that never missed his foul shots. I remember my Dad telling me over and over that “you know where games are won or lost? The free throw line.” He wrote Price a letter at some point basically saying he was glad that he played for the Cavaliers because it gave his son an all-star to look up to that was also such a great person. Then he asked Price to sign an enclosed photo for me for my birthday. Price even personalized it – one of the best presents I ever received.

Full Article

Very good read...I suggest you read it all if you want to get the full gist of it.

I'm also a Cavs supporter and from Ohio, and go to school in Akron... It happend, move on. Yes, the way he left was terrible and yes he did set the franchise back 50 years... buuuut dwelling over the same issue doesnt help either. It's funny how people forget all the things the guy did for the city of Cleveland and still does for the city of Akron. He isnt coming back, and whinning about it wont turn back time and make him change his mind! Not a huge fan of him anymore either, but people, especially Cavs fans need to move the heck on, naw mean?

An interesting thing I also wanted to say...the reason I found out about this is bc Dan Gilbert tweeted the link. Thought that was kind of funny.

I for one love your attitude Clevelands Finest, I would be the same way if I was in your position.

Edited by Simba