Can you say that KJ was better than Nash?

Real Deal

• Owner

http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/n/nashst01.html

http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/j/johnske02.html

Looking at the stats, you can make the argument, right?

Team success? Well, KJ was the PG of the Suns' Finals team.

I grew up watching Barkley and KJ, and Johnson was a very good defensive player, something that Nash isn't.

Is it the two MVP awards that separate Nash from Johnson, or are we just forgetting how good KJ was?

Individually, in his prime, you can probably make a case he was at least equal to Nash. However, what kills KJ in this arguement is accomplishments and accolades. Nash has led the league in assists 5x to 0 for KJ, has 7 All-Star selections to only 3 for KJ, has 3 All-NBA 1st team selections to 0 for KJ, and he has 2 MVP's to 0 for KJ (the highest he ever finished in MVP voting was 7th). So, even if they were possibly comparable as players, Nash will always be regarded fairly higher due to accolades.

• Owner

Individually, in his prime, you can probably make a case he was at least equal to Nash. However, what kills KJ in this arguement is accomplishments and accolades. Nash has led the league in assists 5x to 0 for KJ, has 7 All-Star selections to only 3 for KJ, has 3 All-NBA 1st team selections to 0 for KJ, and he has 2 MVP's to 0 for KJ (the highest he ever finished in MVP voting was 7th). So, even if they were possibly comparable as players, Nash will always be regarded fairly higher due to accolades.

It's really unfortunate, because I watched KJ pick apart a lot of very good defensive players. He tore Payton up one night, probably after Barkley left (can't remember), and I don't recall GP winning those battles the majority of the time, either. Seemed to be quite even throughout the 90's, which is a big statement for Johnson's play because Payton was a monster on D.

He also dropped 44 on Alvin Robertson, which is one of the first games I had seen KJ play in.

I know Nash hits daggers and runs his offense better than most everyone in the league, but I just feel like Johnson did more on the court.

Personal achievements suck sometimes. :(

• Owner

Personal achievements are why Kobe is a top 10 player all-time, so don't feel too bad ;)

Haha, pleeeeeease. Second-most skilled player of all-time, but I'll stop there.

Should have 10 MVP's.