The New Crop For U.S.A. Basketball

BlueDevil

As many as eight of the 12 players who helped the U.S. win gold last year have already given verbal commitments to play again, as well as Duke coach Mike Krzyzewski. This leaves approximately four spots to be filled with promising young talent that can play with the U.S.A. across their chest for years to come. This list will conclude which players are most likely to make that team and play along LeBron, Kobe, and D-Wade. Will youth prevail over experience? Which positions will be a major concern to fill? Regardless, this team will still be a powerhouse of talent.

Kevin Durant

Kevin Durant is the surest bet to make the team. Going into camp, he was considered the best player on the court, and he didn’t disappoint. The coaching staff were very high on him afterwords, and were surely considering every possible way they can exploit Durant’s many talents.

He has the skills to excel in the International game, with his height allowing him to play the 2,3, or 4. He has an excellent shooting stroke, which along with his height should make him nearly unguardable. He can handle the ball fairly well, and is an excellent slasher.

It’s his defence that will need the most work, but playing along stars like Kobe and LeBron, he will no doubt be trying his hardest, and they will let him know if he isn’t. Making this team would also allow him the chance to learn from some of the best, considering he has been the #1 option on his own team since day one.

Due to the lack of big men on the U.S. team, expect to see Durant more at the 3 and 4 positions, which should help him improve his defence and rebounding that should carry over to his NBA game.

Derrick Rose

Rose has the skill set to be considered one of the greatest point guards the NBA has ever seen. Making the U.S. National team could only help his chances.

The U.S. team is looking for a third point guard in case Chris Paul and Deron Williams get injured. Although Russell Westbrook played considerably well at the camp, Derrick Rose will be that third point guard.

His size and length will create problems for opposing point guards, and as his game develops, he will become one of the most complete point guards in the league. He can already get to the rim with ease, and his jump shot is constantly improving.

He will have the opportunity to play under Paul, who is considered THE best point guard in the league, as well as Williams, who challenges that claim to be the best. Both have different games that Rose possesses the ablility to mimic.

Paul is the floor general who keeps everyone involved, and has the elusiveness to get to the hole when needed. Williams is the strong point guard who can bully the opposition, and has a deadly shooting stroke. Rose can learn from both of them and become a mixture of the two.

Brook Lopez

Brook Lopez is my dark horse to make the team. Many consider him to be a future all-star, but he still has a way to go to reach that level. Making the U.S. squad could help in his improvement.

Lopez makes this team because there is a serious lack of centers on the team, and Lopez is one of the true centers in the league. It would be great to have Lopez backing up the best center in the league in Dwight Howard, as well as giving him and Dwight a chance to improve together.

Dwight still has room to grow, and these two players can learn from each other. Lopez possesses the shooting ability Dwight is missing, and Dwight can show Lopez the ropes on defence as well as quick power moves to the basket. It’s a win-win senerio.

Luckily team U.S.A. has many players who are able to play multiple positions, so incase Howard picks up too many fouls (which is very likely), Lopez won’t have to man the center all by himself. There’s players like Chris Bosh who can step in and play some center, even LeBron could.

Lopez, however, should make the team instead of a “tweener” big man who is better suited at the power forward spot. This team needs another true center, and Lopez is that player.

Rudy Gay

Rudy Gay is the athletic, do-everything player that the U.S. team could use at the end of their bench as a “spark plug” type player. He possesses the explosiveness to be a game changer, and his jump shot has improved dramatically.

Gay would be a great fit on this team because he would get the chance to learn from players like LeBron, Melo, and D-Wade, other do-everything type players. Just practicing with players of the calibre would no doubt help Rudy in his player progression, and hopefully instill a work ethic he could take back to a young Grizzlies team.

One of the things that will help Gay make the team is a commitment to defence, something that he has somewhat lacked. If he were to make this team, players like Kobe and LeBron would no doubt help him realize the importance of defence, and Gay’s athleticism would no doubt make him one of the premier defenders in the league if he committed to it.

Honourable Mentions

Danny Granger- I feel his age will hurt him. He has almost peeked as a player, so what you see is what you get. I feel most of the players who will be picked will be more for the future, so age will be an issue. He has made huge strides throughout his career, to the point where he is a top 10 player, but I don’t see him cracking the rotation in the coming years.

Devin Harris- Jason Kidd made the team as a veteran pressence, but it was obvious that Paul and Williams would take over. They will be manning the point for a long time, so like Granger, Harris’s age is why he will miss the cut.

Kevin Love- Apparently the coaching staff was really high on him, but I just can’t imagine why a guy with little athleticism could make this team. He has a knack for rebounding, but with all the players the U.S. posesses that can play the FIBA four spot, I don’t see a good rebounding player with little else making the team.

Andre Iguodala- I think he will battle Rudy Gay for that “spark plug” type role, but I see Gay as the superior athlete, and feel he has the ability to play better defence. Iguodala has the chance to make it though, as he did have a good camp. It just comes down to the little things between him and Rudy.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/229440-the-new-crop-for-usa-basketball

http://www.alldaynba.com/uncategorized/the-new-crop-for-u-s-a-basketball/

Edited by BlueDevil

Nice article. There's a few awkward expressions and some sentence structuring you might need to work on, but the content of it was good.

I'm just wondering, though, did you leave a few players out for a reason? I know Greg Oden was definitely there; and Blake Griffin should have been there, too. And I don't know if he attended, but Anthony Randolph was another name on the initial roster. If this is another four-year commitment thing, which would take them to the 2012 Olympics, I have to wonder whether or not these guys will get the final roster spots simply based on current talent, expectations etc.

Nothing against Brook Lopez, but there is a chance that final C spot might go to Oden considering the enormous expactiations placed on Oden. Even if he isn't used for scoring, Oden, at 285lbs, is a bigger, stronger enforcer in the paint on the defensive end than Brook Lopez. It might be something that Team USA is looking for considering they only had Carlos Boozer and Dwight Howard last Olympics, one of which played very few minutes anyway. But then again, if they're not looking to take a chance, Brook Lopez is just as good as Oden offensively, and he'll certainly provide an intimidating big men in the paint.

Same thing with Rudy Gay; if it's a four-year thing, Anthony Randolph looks more impressive in the long run than Gay.

I believe the final roster will be cut down to 25 soon, and then subsequently cut to 18 before the season begins. Then they'll base their final 12 on how the season plays out.

I'm just wondering, though, did you leave a few players out for a reason? I know Greg Oden was definitely there; and Blake Griffin should have been there, too. And I don't know if he attended, but Anthony Randolph was another name on the initial roster. If this is another four-year commitment thing, which would take them to the 2012 Olympics, I have to wonder whether or not these guys will get the final roster spots simply based on current talent, expectations etc.

Ya if you check out my bleacher report link, I added all those that attended the camp. I just took out that part for this post.

Greg Oden- While he has shown he has the deffensive cappibilities to play in the NBA, his offence still needs alot of work. In my mind, him and Dwight Howard are basically in the same boat, Dwight is just further ahead. That is why I chose Brook Lopez instead, because he is a different kind of centre the Dwight and Oden. While Oden and Dwight rely on strength and power moves, Lopez is more finesse. He also has the ability to step out and shoot, which will serve him well at the FIBA level. I just feel that Oden and Howard are too alike, and Oden still has to prove that he should have been taken #1 overall. If his offence comes together quickly, he might make it, but it looks doubtful.

Anthony Randolph- He has amazing athleticism as well as the skills to play multiple positions, but he is not a proven scorer in the NBA yet. He had a great Summer league, but as we all know summer league is much different the the regular season. It remains to be seen how he will play against the best in the game. Team U.S.A. is hurting for big men though, but I think Randolph and Durant are similar enough that you wouldnt need both, and Durant is clearly the superior player.

Blake Griffin- Same as Randolph, it remains to be seen what he can do against the best in the world. People are already saying he has HOF potential, but Im not buying that yet. Many dominant college players come into the NBA and many cannot duplicate that claim to fame. I feel Griffin will be a successful NBA player, but he needs to fine tune his offensive moves. What will help him is his passion and the moter he has, as he is a competitor who never stops. Im just waiting to see what he can do in the NBA before giving him a roster spot with the best in the world.