General Soccer Discussion

Cobb

Wow...an amazing comeback came up just 1 goal short. What a game by Madrid...they had Barca scared as hell after the two quickies.

Horrible reffing though

Yeah man! The close ups of the crowd were golden, it was like a horror movie screening.

• 2 weeks later...

2012 Africa Cup of Nations -- 1/4-Finals:

Zambia - Sudan 3:0

Ivory Coast - Equator. Guinea (later today)

Zambia end 16-year wait for semis

http://www.fifa.com/mm/photo/worldfootball/nationalteams/01/57/91/38/1579138_medium.jpg

Stoppila Sunzu, Christopher Katongo and James Chamanga scored as Zambia overcame ten-man Sudan 3-0 to reach the CAF Africa Cup of Nations semi-finals after a 16-year absence.

Favourites Zambia were rarely under pressure and Sunzu took advantage of slack marking to nod them ahead on 15 minutes, Katongo scored the second midway through the second half, and substitute Chamanga added a late third.

Sudan had Saif Eldin red-carded 19 minutes into the second half when his team were trailing by one goal, and his dimissal signalled the end of any hope the Jediane Falcons had of causing an upset.

FIFA.com

Edited by Šhãłïq

Keita keeps nerve to send Mali into semis

http://www.fifa.com/mm/photo/worldfootball/nationalteams/01/57/96/75/1579675_full-lnd.jpg

Mali beat Gabon 5-4 on penalties after their finely balanced CAF Africa Cup of Nations quarter-final ended 1-1 following extra time. Barcelona star Seydou Keita converted the decisive spot-kick after the co-hosts' top striker Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang watched in disbelief as Mali goalkeeper Soumaila Diakite saved his effort. The Eagles' reward is a semi-final date with Côte d'Ivoire back at Libreville's L'Amitie stadium on Wednesday.

"It was like a dream when I scored the winning penalty. I'm so proud to wear this shirt. I've won a lot with Barcelona but this is like winning the Cup."

Seydou Keita, Mali midfielder

Full Story

Fabio Capello quits as England's head coach

'Don Fabio' quit as England coach on Wednesday in a dispute over captain John Terry, throwing the national team's preparations for the European Championship into turmoil. Capello resigned during an hourlong meeting with team executives after four years on the job.

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/sports_blog/2012/02/fabio-capello-quits-as-coach-of-england.html

Herbert signs on for Brazil 2014

(AFP) Tuesday 14 February 2012

http://i43.tinypic.com/10zwiee.jpg

Herbert (front) signs on for Brazil 2014. © AFP

New Zealand football coach Ricki Herbert has signed a contract extension tying him to the All Whites until the end of the 2014 FIFA World Cup Brazil™ campaign. The deal means Herbert, who took over in 2005, is set to become the All Whites' longest serving coach, New Zealand Football (NZF) said.

"We believe Ricki is the man to see us through the qualifiers and, if things go to plan, on to another Confederations Cup and World Cup," NZF chief executive Grant McKavanagh said.

Herbert's All Whites team was the only side to remain undefeated at the 2010 FIFA World Cup, securing three draws in the group stages but failing to advance to the knockout phase. To reach the 2014 FIFA World Cup in Brazil, New Zealand need to top the Oceania qualification rounds, then win a home-and-away play-off against the fourth placed team in CONCACAF, covering North and Central America and the Caribbean.

http://www.fifa.com/worldcup/preliminaries/news/newsid=1583841/index.html

Edited by Šhãłïq

Ah, I see. I was going to ask what the deal with Diego Forlán is. I remember watching the World Cup and seeing him just dominate. He won the Golden Ball and had five goals. After Inter Milan lost today I checked out his stats and in 10 caps and only 1 goal. :o

I guess I figured he would be a scoring machine like he was the the World Cup.

^

Ah, I see. I was going to ask what the deal with Diego Forlán is. I remember watching the World Cup and seeing him just dominate. He won the Golden Ball and had five goals. After Inter Milan lost today I checked out his stats and in 10 caps and only 1 goal. :o

I guess I figured he would be a scoring machine like he was the the World Cup.

Diego Forlán is kind of overrated, IMO. He was scoring a lot in Spain because he used to be Atletico Madrid's main scoring option. Now he's got competition in Inter. Plus, Italian D is tighter. ;)

(...) Not sure what teams/league this is, but wow.

It's Flamengo in the Rio's State Championship. It was on all Brazilian TV channels today.

Edited by Šhãłïq

Flashscore.com is better than livescore.com

Shows more scores from various countries, shows people who get assists, shows the formation and lineups that teams have, looks better, shows statistics like shot attempts and even has commentary in text.

http://www.flashscore.com/match/IXeTgSF1/#match-summary

Heres an example from a game today.

Edited by Yugo696969
  • Like 1

France's team in the last 10 or so years has had pretty much black players.

Today's starting 11 had only 1 black player out of 11

Result: France 2 - 1 Germany

France 1998 World Cup team:

1. Lama (of African descent)

3. Lizarazu (of Basque descent)

4. Vieira (born in Dakar, Senegal)

5. Blanc

6. Djorkaeff (a mix of Kalmyk/Polish (father) and Armenian origins (mother is a pure Armenian)

7. Deschamps ( c )

8. Desailly (born in Accra, Ghana)

9. Guivarc'h

10. Zidane (of Kabyle Berber descent. Parents emigrated from the Berber-speaking region of Kabylia, eastern Algeria)

11. Pirès

12. Henry (of Caribbean )

13. Diomède (of Guadeloupean descent)

14. Boghossian (Armenian descent)

15. Thuram (born in Pointe-à-Pitre, Guadeloupe)

16. Barthez

17. Petit

18. Leboeuf

19. Karembeu (born in Lifou, New Caledonia)

20. Trezeguet ( French-Argentinian, grew up in Buenos Aires, Argentina)

21. Dugarry

Results:

France 3 – 0 South Africa

France 4 – 0 Saudi Arabia

France 2 – 1 Denmark

France 1 – 0 Paraguay (a.e.t.)

France 4 – 3 Italy (pen)

France 2 – 1 Croatia

France 3 – 0 Brazil

10 'not exactly white' players (7 of whom black) = First-Ever World Cup Title

Edited by Šhãłïq

France 1998 World Cup team:

1. Lama (of African descent)

3. Lizarazu (of Basque descent)

4. Vieira (born in Dakar, Senegal)

5. Blanc

6. Djorkaeff (a mix of Kalmyk/Polish (father) and Armenian origins (mother is a pure Armenian)

7. Deschamps ( c )

8. Desailly (born in Accra, Ghana)

9. Guivarc'h

10. Zidane (of Kabyle Berber descent. Parents emigrated from the Berber-speaking region of Kabylia, eastern Algeria)

11. Pirès

12. Henry (of Caribbean )

13. Diomède (of Guadeloupean descent)

14. Boghossian (Armenian descent)

15. Thuram (born in Pointe-à-Pitre, Guadeloupe)

16. Barthez

17. Petit

18. Leboeuf

19. Karembeu (born in Lifou, New Caledonia)

20. Trezeguet ( French-Argentinian, grew up in Buenos Aires, Argentina)

21. Dugarry

Results:

France 3 – 0 South Africa

France 4 – 0 Saudi Arabia

France 2 – 1 Denmark

France 1 – 0 Paraguay (a.e.t.)

France 4 – 3 Italy (pen)

France 2 – 1 Croatia

France 3 – 0 Brazil

10 'not exactly white' players (7 of whom black) = First-Ever World Cup Title

idc