Say goodbye to Facebook in a few months

Smitty

Wednesday in a public announcement, "hactivist" group Anonymous promised to "destroy" Facebook once and for all on November 5, 2011. Why? Because the popular social website has allegedly been selling information to government agencies and providing back-door access for information security firms so that they can spy on people worldwide.

"Everything you do on Facebook stays on Facebook regardless of your 'privacy' settings, and deleting your account is impossible, even if you 'delete' your account, all your personal info stays on Facebook and can be recovered at any time," the statement reads. "Changing the privacy settings to make your Facebook account more "private" is also a delusion. Facebook knows more about you than your family."

"The riots are underway," the message continues. "It is not a battle over the future of privacy and publicity. It is a battle for choice and informed consent. It's unfolding because people are being raped, tickled, molested, and confused into doing things where they don't understand the consequences. Facebook keeps saying that it gives users choices, but that is completely false. It gives users the illusion of and hides the details away from them "for their own good" while they then make millions off of you. When a service is "free," it really means they're making money off of you and your information."

http://www.tomsguide.com/us/Anonymous-Privacy-Destroy-Facebook-Hactivist,news-12126.html

Guess Google+ arrived right on time. Oh well.

What's google+? I got invited and I'm pretty sure it set me up automatically (I have a gmail), is it a social network site like FB? If so, should I be worried about retards getting my info through google+ into my gmail account?

Yeah it's working for me again.

What's google+? I got invited and I'm pretty sure it set me up automatically (I have a gmail), is it a social network site like FB? If so, should I be worried about retards getting my info through google+ into my gmail account?

It's pretty much Facebook with a Google skin and slightly different features.

And anyone can get your info through any site really if they're smart enough. No website is ever really 100% secure.

Seriously, who cares.. what's so great about facebook?

Alot of businesses rely on it for networking and the like. It would [expletive] alot of things up.

Safe to say alot of people would care lol.

Lol @ businesses relying on Facebook.

I didn't mean that's the only thing they rely on smart guy. It's still a big part of things today. It's one of the best outlets to promote and make connections.

Lol @ businesses relying on Facebook.

A huge number of them do. All those games that have micro-transactions rely on it, like Farmville, Mafia Wars, ect. What's more, is that a large number of smaller companies are using Facebook pages as their primary web presence. Heck, even the advertisements on pages help business' out with revenue. It's a huge deal for companies...and while most may not rely on it, a lot of them do.

• Like 1