Agent: Knicks, Sessions Near Deal

The Goods

The Knicks could sign Ramon Sessions to an offer sheet as early as Tuesday, according to the point guard's agent.

Chubby Wells, the agent for the restricted free agent, told the New York Post on Sunday that Sessions could accept an offer from the Knicks on either Monday or Tuesday.

"We've been playing footsie with the Knicks the last two weeks," Wells told the Post. "I'm sure we'll clarify something in the next couple days with the Knicks or another team and figure out what's going on."

The Clippers are the other interested team, but the Knicks are believed to be the frontrunner because they can offer a starting role.

New York coach Mike D'Antoni has been lobbying hard to sign Sessions, but general manager Donnie Walsh is worried about tying up long-term cap space.

SALARY CAP NOTE: This article alludes to the Knicks offering Sessions a one-year contract, something that is not possible under the NBA's collective bargaining agreement.

"According to a source, Walsh wants to sign Sessions to a long-term deal starting at less than $5.8 million so that his 2010-2011 cap number will be less than $6 million," Berman writes. "The source said a number of proposals have been discussed, including a one-year contract."

Offer sheets with restricted free-agents like Sessions must be for at least two seasons.

http://www.realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/60941/20090803/agent_knicks_sessions_near_deal/

I'm amazed Milwaukee doesn't care to resign Sessions.

They traded Mo Williams so he could rise to the occasion and one year in they're ready to give up?

I understand they have Jennings but he'd be better at backup PG for now imo.

Edited by Cleveland's Finest