Peterson Signs Seven-Year, $96M Contract

ChosenOne

SAN DIEGO -- Vikings running back Adrian Peterson has to love playing the San Diego Chargers.

Four years after setting the NFL's single-game rushing record (296 yards) against the Chargers at the Metrodome, Peterson has signed a seven-year, $96 million deal with a guaranteed $32 million on the eve of tomorrow's season opener at San Diego. He could earn $100 million with further escalators in the deal.

"Adrian is, to me, the best running back in pro football, and we're happy to have him as a part of the organization for the long term," coach Leslie Frazier said in a statement released by the team.

Peterson also gets a $4 million injury guarantee as part of the deal. He gets it only if he's released for injury reasons.

The contract tops Titans running back Chris Johnson's four-year, $53.5 million dea. Johnson got a guaranteed $30 million.

As for the salary cap, the Vikings will remain about $4.5 million under because Peterson will still make the $10.72 million he was due to make before signing his extension.

Say what you want about owner Zygi Wilf, but the man has agreed to give out $52 million guaranteed to two players (Peterson and linebacker Chad Greenway) this past week.

Said Peterson to his fans via his Twitter account: "Today is an incredible day. Minnesota's where I want to be and I'm excited to continue playing for you."

StarTribune