Safeties and Holding Calls

Real Deal

14 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

No, not only do you get 2 points, but you also get the ball. This makes the safety worth much more than a FG imo.

5, I'd like to see 5, a lot of time even on first down you get a holding call and it just kills the entire drive, 10 yards is a shit load of yards, I don't mind either, cause it heavily discourages holding, but if I had to choose I'd go 5.

No, kicks are being returned anyway, special teams plays too huge a role in the game, it should play a role but it shouldn't cost you the playoffs like it did the chargers last year.

Think about how many times a QB is prevented a sack because of a hold. If you reduce the penalty to 5 yards, linemen will always hold in order to keep their QBs upright. 1st and 15 is so much better than 2nd and 15, but 1st and 20 and 2nd and 15 are tossups.

Reduce the yardage and it will encourage more holding, for a penalty that is 100% avoidable and free will to begin with.

• Owner

For those in favor of the new kickoff rule, why not just put the ball at the 20 every time? Why do we still have onside kicks? Players can get trucked from that, trying to look up at the ball instead of ahead at the opposing players.

Those that want ten yards instead of just five (holding call), sacks aren't always ten yards. That penalty is first assuming the QB is actually going to get sacked, PLUS adding another 3-5 yards in the process.

Safeties are one of the, if not the, rarest ways to score in football. You can assume that teams would rather take the two point loss AND kick the ball off (kickoff) than anything else. A punt from the endzone can put the opposing team 40 yards from scoring seven. If a team is pushed that far back to begin with, they are going to lose possession on a 4th down, that's obvious. Why not make safeties five points, and enforce that team to not receive the ball, but to kick it back after scoring that safety? That five points is about half of the nine possible (the two on a safety in today's game + a possible TD that can come out of the next possession).

I don't know...just never understood why a safety wasn't worth more than two, and why possession is also part of the package.

For those in favor of the new kickoff rule, why not just put the ball at the 20 every time? Why do we still have onside kicks? Players can get trucked from that, trying to look up at the ball instead of ahead at the opposing players.

Some players are still incapable of kicking it out of the endzone (see: Tynes, Lawrence). Onside kicks are rare, once a game maybe. Normal kickoffs can happen 5+ times. That considered, gaining 50 yards of steam and blowing a dude up is different than a 10 yard dash where you're trying to recover a loose ball.

Those that want ten yards instead of just five (holding call), sacks aren't always ten yards. That penalty is first assuming the QB is actually going to get sacked, PLUS adding another 3-5 yards in the process.

Sacks aren't always 10 yards, but you also don't lose a down. A 5 yard sack leaves you with a 2nd and 15, which is comparable with a 1st and 20. If holding is a 5 yard penalty, there is not a situation where a lineman who is beat won't simply tackle the defender to the ground. Leaves you with a 1st and 15 where it would have been a 2nd and 15 if he doesn't break a rule. Lends credence to 'cheating'.

Not to mention that holding on running plays is also hugely momentous. A 2 yard stop turns into a 40 yard gain. The penalty, as it's enforced currently, prevents holding at a fairly effective rate. Again, it's a voluntary penalty. If you're beat, you have a choice; hold, and gain a 10 yard penalty, or let your player get hit, and take the yardage loss and the heat from teammates. Or, best of all, work harder so you aren't out of position.

Safeties are one of the, if not the, rarest ways to score in football. You can assume that teams would rather take the two point loss AND kick the ball off (kickoff) than anything else. A punt from the endzone can put the opposing team 40 yards from scoring seven. If a team is pushed that far back to begin with, they are going to lose possession on a 4th down, that's obvious. Why not make safeties five points, and enforce that team to not receive the ball, but to kick it back after scoring that safety? That five points is about half of the nine possible (the two on a safety in today's game + a possible TD that can come out of the next possession).

I don't know...just never understood why a safety wasn't worth more than two, and why possession is also part of the package.

The 8-10 point swing is the biggest available in the sport. I don't think that makes a safety a short-change play.. it's actually the highest grossing of it's kind.

I can see the argument for the other way. Award the defender a touchdown and have them kick off? Seems somewhat fair.. but I just don't see the rule as being broken in any way. 2 points and a punt style kickoff is a huge gift wrapped present.

Elaborate...

The game would just be more fun to watch if there were no FGs imo. If you are close enough to kick it you should go for it; if not, punt it. This also has to due with the fact that I'm tried of close games ending on FGs. I'm sure most of you disagree with me, just my opinion.

Edited by Guru

The game would just be more fun to watch if there were no FGs imo. If you are close enough to kick it you should go for it; if not, punt it. This also has to due with the fact that I'm tried of close games ending on FGs. I'm sure most of you disagree with me, just my opinion.

Why not get rid of walks in baseball? The objective is to get on base and score.

It's the same thing in football where you try and score, and if you don't get the TD, you get a FG. In baseball, if you don't get a hit, you try and draw a walk. Neither are exactly the ultimate goal, but they are each a small reward, that could be big.

Why not get rid of walks in baseball? The objective is to get on base and score.

It's the same thing in football where you try and score, and if you don't get the TD, you get a FG. In baseball, if you don't get a hit, you try and draw a walk. Neither are exactly the ultimate goal, but they are each a small reward, that could be big.

I'm not sure I understand your analogy. If you get rid of walks, wouldn't the pitcher just never pitch over the plate and wait for the batter to swing at a bad pitch? Plus baseball is a slow game as is, last thing you need to do is make is slower.

LOL getting rid of field goals is just absurd. It makes the game less exciting? You lost me there. Like ECN said, get rid of FTs in basketball, get rid of penalty shots in soccer(not the ones at the end of the game only, just PKs in general), get rid of ground rule doubles in baseball, etc. Why change a fundamental element of the game? It'd be stupid because the NFL would be the only football league without field goals. It isn't something small like the difference between PI in pros and college, its a part of the game that can't just be removed :lol:

LOL getting rid of field goals is just absurd. It makes the game less exciting? You lost me there. Like ECN said, get rid of FTs in basketball, get rid of penalty shots in soccer(not the ones at the end of the game only, just PKs in general), get rid of ground rule doubles in baseball, etc. Why change a fundamental element of the game? It'd be stupid because the NFL would be the only football league without field goals. It isn't something small like the difference between PI in pros and college, its a part of the game that can't just be removed :lol:

So FG's excite you? Obviously FGs will never be removed but they can be easily. All of these analogies make no sense. In basketball and soccer you have fouls. Without fouls the whole game would change. Getting rid of the ground rule double? What happens when the ball bounces and goes into the stands? Re-do? Wtf. How would the game actually change besides teams being forced to go for it on 4th down?