Toronto Maple Leafs 2011-2012

Built Ford Tough

Great win against the Rangers and the refs tonight.

Just horrible officiating, but the Leafs played well enough defensively that it didn't cost them the game after completely dominating the 1st period. It didn't hurt that Gustavsson was awesome in net, either.

Absolutely loved the Phanuef hit on Sauer and then the Schenn hit on Anisimov about 30 seconds later. Two fantastic hits.

It is ridiculous how rock solid Gus has been since I said he wasn't an NHL caliber goalie. Not that I am complaining lol, just funny.

Kessel also retakes the scoring lead last night.

Tonight is a game we have to win. These tough back to backs against bad teams are games we need to grab.

Edited by Check my Stats

Honestly, thank God Lupul is okay. We have deserved some of the calls, but they have missed many against us, this officiating, combined with last night, have been absolutely atrocious.

And wow, a terrific goal by Matt Frattin.

Edited by Check my Stats

Armstrong returns to the lineup, Connolly gets hurt the same game.

I guess it was too much to expect these two to be able to actually stay on the ice. One of them has to be injured or else the world just wouldn't be in balance.

On a serious note, that had nothing to do with Connolly being fragile or anything. Just a unfortunate event where Ovechkin's skate hit him in the lower back. Hopefully it isn't too bad and just stung a bit.

EDIT: Looks like it was nothing as Connolly is back. It probably just knocked the wind out of him/stung a bit and they decided to go to the back and check if he was cut or anything like that.

Edited by Built Ford Tough

What the hell happened to Kulemin offensively this season? He is still playing very well defensively, but he is playing nothing like he did last year at the other end of the rink.

Last year he was nearly impossible to knock off the puck, had a very quick release on his shot and was able to locate it exactly where he wanted to most of the time.

This year whenever he gets the puck it is basically a turnover waiting to happen, he takes forever to get his shot off and when he does actually shoot the puck, he either misses the net by a mile or shoots it right at the goalies chest.

If you would've told me at the beginning of the year that Kulemin would be far and away the weak link of the KGM line (a line that is no longer together) I would've called you crazy.

They really need him to pick it up because Kessel and Lupul aren't going to be able to continue to carry this team offensively.

I'm scared about this game tonight.

Seeing how badly shitty powerplays like Buffalo and New Jersey have lit up Toronto, can you imagine what a potent one like the Canucks will do?

I have a feeling that this game will get ugly really fast if the leafs continue to play as undisciplined as they have in the past week or so.

One hell of a first period.

That was easily the most entertaining period of hockey I have watched this season from the Leafs.

Fantastic end to end action, some outstanding goaltending from both Lu and Gus, some excellent display of skill from Lupul, Kessel, Phanuef, Burrows and the Sedins, some physical play from Franson, Weise and Armstrong and even had two disallowed goals.

Hopefully the rest of the game is this good because that was an outstanding period.

Liles was flying in that 1st period. Very impressed by him throughout that period, both offensively and defensively.

Reimer was steady as well. He didn't have to make any real difficult saves but he made the ones he had to. You can't blame him for the goal since it was an absolute fluke bounce.

Armstrong back in the lineup.

Over/under on how long before he is back on the IR? I say under 5 games.

And I was right.

4 games and Armstrong is back on the IR with a concussion.

The screwed up part is that he tried to hide it and didn't tell anybody. After all of the serious concussions we have seen in the past few years, Colby really should've known better than to try and play through this. I realize that he is a very proud guy and is not happy with sitting on the sidelines with yet another injury, but if he would've went out there he could've seriously hurt himself and put his career in jeopordy, especially with his crash and bang style of play.

Liles placed on the IR (retrospective to last Thursday) with concussion like symptoms after taking that huge hit from Gaustad in the Buffalo game.

And, Ron Wilson got his Christmas wish. He got his new Red Ryder BB gun and also a one year contract extension.

Burke trades for yet another one of his former draft picks.

He sent Luca Caputi to the Ducks for Nicolas Deschamps, who was drafted by Burke in the 2nd round of the 2008 Draft.

The move is likely a nothing move, but I do like it somewhat. I know absolutely nothing about Deschamps, but it was clear that Caputi wasn't going to do anything in Toronto as he has shown nothing to suggest that he would be capable of cracking the lineup. Deschamps had a solid rookie season in the AHL (although he has struggled so far in his 2nd year).

At the end of the day, this is one of those change of scenery trades that will likely never result in anything.

Sounds like Jonas will be starting again tonight. Haven't shaved during this little win streak, and have said I won't until they lose, so here's hoping they go on a nice streak here lol.

Still waiting for a power move from Burke, feeling more and more like there isn't going to be one this year. I think I would be okay with that though. If we miss the playoffs that will suck, but I would be fine, because we are going to keep getting better. I always forget how young our team is, and with Colborne, Kadri and Gardiner getting better each passing day, I would be fine if we just held onto them... besides, finishing in the lottery might be better for us, as it gives us a very attractive piece to move on draft should we choose to do so.

Edited by Check my Stats

Gus with his 2nd shutout in his last 3 ges and played yet another fantastic game.

This is the Gustavsson that I envisioned when he came over from Sweden and this is the Gustavsson that I had in mind when defending him over the past 3 seasons. I really hope he can keep this up.