ESPN Player Rankings

Dr. Feelgood

I might just be a homer.. but.. I feel Dirk should be top 3 with his performance last season. He beat Kobe, Durant, Wade/LeBron to win it all.. pretty impressive.. but there are other faults in the rankings beside Dirk.

Also I think one can argue that Dirk is the best offensive player in the NBA, better than Durant in some ways.

Edited by ballorama

• Owner

So let me get this straight: Kobe is bumped down because he failed in the playoffs. Gasol doesn't move, although he was a train wreck in the postseason. Dirk is bumped up to being a top five player in the NBA for winning it all, while LeBron stays #1 after his complete meltdown. Deron Williams doesn't seem to be in the same league as CP3 anymore, because he was nowhere to be seen in the playoffs, even though CP3 lost in the first round against Kobe (who, remember, is a disappointment).

I have a hard time believing these rankings are serious. Remember, sportswriting is sometimes more about the reaction.

• Owner

Here's how they really ranked the players...

How did we really rank the players?

One of our writers compiled a list of 500 players that would push NBA fans to visit our site, read our article, and complain for days while distributing our link and questioning our knowledge.

• Like 3

Paul is too high.

When he is fully healthy and playing up to his capabilities, like in 08-09, I can agree with him being top 3 or 4 but considering the injury problems he has had and the fact that those injuries look to have hurt his game, I can't put him in the top 5 despite how much I like him. He isn't the 22/11//4.5/3 player that he was a few seasons ago and I don't think it is reasonable to expect much more than 18/10 or so from him in the future given how much the injuries seem to have slown him down.

I agree with Dirk being ranked over Durant, though, at least based on last season. Durant will overtake him very soon, probably even this upcoming season, if there is one, but if we are strictly going off of last season Dirk is definitely a top 5 player, but I am a huge Dirk homer so I may be bias.

My top 5 would be something like:

1. LeBron

2. Wade

3. Dwight

4. Kobe

5. Dirk

I'm really not sure what these rankings are based off... Is it from last season alone? If that's the case, Rose should be in the top 5 right? But if it's from a more objective perspective, then I agree with Paul being in the top 5 ( I think you guys know my stance on CP3).

I actually don't mind the top 5, at least the players involved. Dirk/Paul over Kobe is sketchy. Dirk has always been underrated, and he constantly gets the Mavs to 50+ wins, and had an insane post-season last year to win the championship, so I guess that's passable. As much as I love Paul, and as much as he outplayed Kobe in the 1st round, he just didn't play dominant basketball for most of last season, while Kobe still gave his usual 25/5/5 and once again brought the Lakers homecourt advantage.

LeBron/Wade/Dwight are without a doubt the top 3 players in the league, especially if this list is what to expect from next season. Anyone who calls Dwight overrated is crazy. He was absolutely dominant last season, finally polishing his offensive game up a bit.

Blake's a little too high for my liking, but I feel people are quick to knock his rating simply because he has only 1 season under his belt on a team that didn't make the playoffs. He's a very good scorer, amazing rebounder, and great passer for his position. If he spruces up his defense a bit and continues to build on his iso scoring, he'll definitely be a top 10 player regardless of where his team ends up in the standings.

Honestly, I didn't even bother looking through the list, and most other people already broke down some of the horrible rankings, so I'm done.

I said it tongue in cheek regardless, but your arguement is regular season stats vs. postseason stats? When Amar'e was hurt in the playoffs anyway? Not sure what to say. How about Amar'e vs Blake's playoffs 0's?

Hmm, NBA.com sucks. Selected 'Compare' and it automatically mixed offs & reg.seaseon. Go figure... Anyhow, statwise Amare wins, but I still prefer B-Griff on my team:

http://i53.tinypic.com/23lidra.jpg

I don't think Dwight is the second best player. He is easily the most dominant defender and center, but he is not really the leader that other guys on that list are. I have no idea how they thought of it though, clearly playoffs was not a factor. What I would have thought it would be based on popular belief would be

1. Kobe

2. Lebron

3. Wade

4. Dwight

5. Dirk

I agree with you Real Deal. Shaq didn't win it alone. basketball is a 5-5 game. Shaq is a factor but don't forget kobe, he hits important shots during that game. without kobe i don't think shaq would have a ring. 4-5 years from now kobe will still reign!

lol, that's pushing it.