Ability to Land a Stud Free Agent Only way Rockets will Use Amnesty Cut

Most likely amnesty cut: None

How likely not to use amnesty this season? Slam dunk

Other amnesty candidates: Hasheem Thabeet

Analysis: Don't look for the Rockets to make use of the amnesty provision unless releasing someone with an expiring contract, which pretty much comes down to Thabeet, provides immediate cap space to clinch the difference-making signing of a free agent. The only players on the roster with substantive contracts are the highly regarded Kevin Martin, Luis Scola and Kyle Lowry.

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/7147880/nba-most-likely-amnesty-candidates

I can agree with this thought process. There is nobody on Houston I would cut unless I was guaranteed to land a stud in free agency. Morey has done a good job of collecting relatively cheap assets and because of that is in a very good position financially. Even his high salary players are all fairly vital pieces to the Rockets, so I just don't see the point in cutting anybody.

Yeah there isn't any point in using it unless the front office wants to create a bit more cap space to better their chances at someone like Nene, but would be a waste if we didn't land him.

There is something about the amnesty cut that I have been wondering about. It says the player about to be cut has to have been signed before July 1, 2011 but it doesn't specify anything about having to use it on a player that was on your roster at the time (at least I don't think so). If a team that doesn't necessarily need to use the amnesty on one of their own players, would take back a bad contract and pick up an asset or two in a trade (hypothetically lets just say the Pistons trade Richard Hamilton plus a protected first round pick to the Rockets, etc) and then use their amnesty on the contract (Hamilton). Sounds like something I was expect Morey to do if it were possible.

Edited by Dash

There is something about the amnesty cut that I have been wondering about. It says the player about to be cut has to have been signed before July 1, 2011 but it doesn't specify anything about having to use it on a player that was on your roster at the time (at least I don't think so). If a team that doesn't necessarily need to use the amnesty on one of their own players, would take back a bad contract and pick up an asset or two in a trade (hypothetically lets just say the Pistons trade Richard Hamilton plus a protected first round pick to the Rockets, etc) and then use their amnesty on the contract (Hamilton). Sounds like something I was expect Morey to do if it were possible.

I don't know for sure either way, but from what I have read, it sounds like you aren't able to do this. Teams aren't going to be allowed to trade for a player and then cut them using the amnesty clause right away.

I may be wrong as I don't even know if anybody really knows the exact details of the clause, but from wht I have read it doesn't sound like this is going to be allowed.