Is Cutting Arenas Really the Answer?

Most likely amnesty cut: Gilbert Arenas

How likely to use amnesty this season? Slam dunk

Other amnesty candidates: Hedo Turkoglu

Analysis: Unlike in Washington, where the prospect of cutting ties with Rashard Lewis comes with huge salary-cap benefits, Orlando can't create any significant cap room by exiling Arenas. So why would the Magic pay off the $62.4 million left on Arenas' contract through 2013-14 when there's little immediate financial benefit to them?

Here's why: Amnesty 2011 gives Magic GM Otis Smith an opportunity to undo a gamble on his good buddy Gil that backfired spectacularly and take at least some of the considerable tension out of the air after the toxic end to last season in that first-round exit to Atlanta ... at a time when the weight of Dwight Howard's 2012 free agency happens to hang over all of Central Florida. The Magic, remember, have a deep-pocketed financier in Rich DeVos that would be on the short list of NBA owners who could withstand the huge financial hit required to send Arenas away. So it's going to happen. It's just of matter of when.

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/7147880/nba-most-likely-amnesty-candidates

The Arenas gamble certainly didn't pay off but at the same time, is cutting him really the answer? They are still going to be in a terrible position financially so its not like getting his cap hit off of the books will clear up space that Smith can use to go out and sign an impact player in free agency. They also don't have any valuable trade assets to work with that would entice a team to part with a legitimate player.

So if you really think about it, the Magic's best (only) hope may be that Arenas can become an impact player once again because they certainly don't have the ability to go outside of the organization to convince Howard to stay. It may be in their best interest to hold off of cutting Arenas and hoping that he reverts back to his old form. Its not like cutting him is going to suddenly open up ample opportunities for the team.

• 4 weeks later...

As far as right away, cutting Arenas doesn't really do much, but by the start of next season it does a lot. While the owners still have to pay that money, it doesn't go towards our cap, or cap flexibility at all. By the end of the season, Hedos contract will come off the books, and not count towards our cap room anymore. So cutting Hedo doesn't really do much, outside of stop us from having to pay him for another year. It will still keep the Arenas contract counting towards our cap space for the remainder of his contract, and it would make us be able to afford much less in the long term. So cutting Arenas is the main thing we need to do.

Hedo's contract doesn't expire after this upcoming season.

He is signed through next year with a player option of $12.2M for the 2013-14 season, which he will obviously accept since it is about 4X the amount that he is worth at this stage of his career.

Yeah, kind of read that wrong, I guess at this point it doesn't really matter which one we amnesty cut. I would say still Arenas, just because his contract runs one or two more years, and Turkoglu is slightly more useful than Arenas still.

• Owner

Otis needs to phone Dwight and simply ask him. I sure the hell would.

I'd say, "Hey, Dwight...I want your opinion on Gilly. Cut him, or see how it plays out? I'm going to reconfigure this entire team to keep you around, simple as that, no beating around the bush...so do you think he can be a contributing teammate, or will cutting him mean more playing time for someone better?"