Carter's Departure may Save Childress

Most likely amnesty cut: Josh Childress

How likely to use amnesty this season? Jump ball

Other amnesty candidates: Mickael Pietrus, Hakim Warrick

Analysis: For all the understandable attention on Childress as a likely amnesty casualty, all available signals suggest Phoenix is in wait-and-see mode. As bad as Childress' $34 million contract looks right now -- after he averaged just five points per game last season and struggled for court time -- sources say that the Suns haven't committed to anything beyond waiving Vince Carter to cash in on the cap-friendly final season of Carter's contract and move out of the luxury tax.

The Suns have less than $30 million committed to salaries in 2012-13, so they have some flexibility even if Childress hangs around a bit longer. So it all adds up to an interesting call for Suns president of basketball operations Lon Babby -- who happens to be Childress' former agent -- but not nearly as interesting as the biggest conundrum in the desert: Whether or not to trade Steve Nash before Nash's contract expires in June.

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/7147880/nba-most-likely-amnesty-candidates

Even if the Suns follow through with waiving Carter, which will undoubtedly happen, I would still cut Childress. He is simply now worth the contract he was given last year and provides absolutely nothing to the Suns. I realize he and Babby have a history together but if you are given an opportunity to shed $34M worth of what is basically dead weight, you have to do it. Unlike many other potential amnesty cut candidates, Childress doesn't even provide much on the cout to warrant at least thinking of keeping him around.

It would be a huge mistake not cutting him, at least as far as I am concerned.