‘Modern Warfare 3′ sets day-one entertainment record

ChosenOne

Modern Warfare 3, the latest installment in Activision's juggernaut shooter franchise, has set a new entertainment industry record for the biggest product launch of all time, selling 6.5 million copies in the U.S. and U.K. in its first 24 hours and earning $400 million in the process.

That tops the $360 million Call of Duty: Black Ops made last year in its first 24 hours and the $310 million Modern Warfare 2 took in during its first day in 2009.

"We believe the launch of Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 is the biggest entertainment launch of all time in any medium, and we achieved this record with sales from only two territories," said Bobby Kotick, CEO of Activision Blizzard. "Other than Call of Duty, there has never been another entertainment franchise that has set opening day records three years in a row."

Kotick also points out that overall sales for the Call of Duty franchise now "exceed worldwide theatrical box office for 'Star Wars' and 'Lord of the Rings,' two of the most successful entertainment franchises of all time."

Analysts expect Modern Warfare 3 to sell nearly 20 million units by the end of the calendar year, generating roughly $1.2 billion in revenue. Black Ops cracked the $1 billion mark in six months.

Yahoo!

Damn!

Edited by ChosenOne

No surprise, its only going to get bigger, despite the fact many people try their hardest to hate on the game.

I personally don't play the game but i don't hate on it either. The funny thing that I have noticed though is that only die hard Halo fans hate on this game lol

I dislike the game more and more every year and understand why everyone hates it, because it literally has gotten worse as the titles have come out and they improve justabout nothing. The game is so dependant on connection that if you don't have a super high speed connection you should just play another game. Icant tell people the amount of times i have come around a corner shooting and i get killed and in my screen i haven't fired a bullet. Terrible...

The amount of time that I get killed by lag is so minimal that it isn't that big of a deal. If you get killed by lag every time, then your connection just sucks. Sure I get very angry when I am behind a wall and bullet curves around and kills me, but the amount of times I killl people makes up for it.