College Basketball Gameday Discussion

Lkr

10 minutes left in the 2nd half.

Baylor is up 50-39.

Quincy Miller has around 14 points and 5 rebounds so far for the Bears. He is playing the 4 for them, rather than his natural small forward, due to the absence of Perry Jones III.

If anybody is interested in watching, you can watch it here:

http://atdhenet.tv/41265/watch-san-diego-st-vs-baylor

Baylor's lead got cut down to 6 at one point, but they brought Miller back in and it is now back up to 10 with around 5:30 left after a Miller layup.

I just started watching so I can't really comment on much, but I don't understand how this game is even semi-close. SDSU is shooting below 30% from the field, have 3 second chance points to Baylor's 12 and Baylor has 16 points off of turnovers. Just looking at the numbers, this game should be a blowout, but SDSU is hanging in it.

Edited by Built Ford Tough

A great way to wrap up the Tip-Off Marathon tonight.

Game starts in about 15-20 minutes.

Looking forward to seeing some of the Wildcats freshman, particularly Anthony Davis (who had an amazing debut) and Michael Kidd-Gilchrist.

It should also be an interesting dynamic seeing the relatively inexperienced Cats going up the experienced Hawks.

Anyways, I'll likely be watching this on the computer while watching the Leafs game on tv. If anybody is interested in a link to watch it online, let me know and I'll post one, assuming I can get a good one.

So scratch the comment about the game being in 10-15 minutes, haha.

I completely forgot that the Duke-Michigan St. game was before this one and it wouldn't start until that was finished.

Game should get underway around 7:05-7:10 EST.

Absolutely love Terrence Jones's intensity, they need that on their young but ultra-talented team. He's only a sophomore, but as one of the most experienced guys on this team he's got a big leadership role, and so far he's leading by example. Davis is making some athletic plays and running the floor well but I want to see his offensive game in terms of creating a shot on the block or facing up. Kentucky's going to be a force at the end of the season and if they can find some chemistry and settle in to their roles, they could be the toughest team to stop come March.

I'm really interested to see how Kidd-Gilchrist does this year. Before last season nbadraft.net had him as their top ranked prospect but he's been on a decline since then. Will he become an elite prospect and help turn around a franchise, or become more of a 2nd/3rd-best player on a team and be a fringe All-Star candidate?

Ugly first half, but it's expected. Teague with 6 TO's, if you remember this time last year Brandon Knight had the same problems, so I'm not worried. Teague will be great.

Not a huge fan of Terrance Jones, his style of play just doesn't interest me at all. Kidd Gilchrist needs to stick with driving to the lane, I love his potential, but am afraid Jones will take away from his touches.

Marquis Teague has been absolutely awful in the first half. He has been playing completely out of control and making terrible decisions with the ball.

Last I saw, he had 0 assists and 6 turnovers in like 12 minutes of playing time. :lol:

It has been a pretty ugly game all around so far. I fell asleep for about 5 minutes or so and missed the last bit of the first half, but prior to that it was just brutal basketball being played.

I will say that Kentucky is deadly when they get out on the break. Guys like Jones, Kidd-Gilchrist and Davis are very scary in transition as they are all so quick and athletic for their size. It is too bad they look completely disorganized in a half court set, but that should get better as they gain experience and develop chemistry with one another (and if their point guard stops playing like a jackass).

As for Kansas, Withey impressed me in the first half. He was active on the glass, a factor defensively altering/blocking shots and even chipped in with some offense as well. If he can give Kansas this kind of play in the 2nd half and Taylor plays like he is capable of, Kansas can certainly come up with a win in this game.

I'm really interested to see how Kidd-Gilchrist does this year. Before last season nbadraft.net had him as their top ranked prospect but he's been on a decline since then. Will he become an elite prospect and help turn around a franchise, or become more of a 2nd/3rd-best player on a team and be a fringe All-Star candidate?

He screams 2nd/3rd option to me. I think he is going to be a very similar player to Andre Iguodala when he breaks into the league. A great defender, solid passer, above average rebouder, tough slasher, dangerous in the open court and just a general outstanding all-around player. His lack of a jumper and diverse offensive game is likely going to prevent him from becoming an elite player, but I see no reason why he can't become a very good player and a huge piece on a championship calibre team.

He is going to wind up being one of those crucial glue guys that all championship teams need, but I don't think he is ever going to become the focal point of a championship calibre team. His game just doesn't seem to suit that kind of a role, but that is no knock against him as I think he is going to have a long, successfull career.

Of course this could all change as he is still very young. If he develops a reliable jumper, post game and tightens up his handles who knows what he could become.

Teague finally gets his first assist. :o

Lucky for him, too, because he was so damn close to committing yet another turnover (on a 3-1 no less) because of a stupid play. He was fortunate to have the ball bounce right back to him and have a wide open Davis to throw a lob to.

Kentucky's athleticism and length advantages over Kansas are really showing to start the 2nd half. They are getting a hand on basically every shot and every pass that the Jayhawks are attempting, which has enabled them to get out in transition where, as I said before, they are absolutely deadly. The Jayhawks are going to need to make better passes, have crisper ball movement and use Kentucky's aggressiveness against them by making some more backdoor cuts and ball fakes.

Davis has looked very impressive to start the half. He has been all over the floor. Whether it is blocking shots, finishing in transition or whatever, his length is giving Kansas fits.

I think Kidd-Gilchrist has looked awesome, when he isn't trying to prove that he can shoot long range jumpers, tonight as well.

These next few minutes are going to be huge. Kansas really needs to stop the momentum that the Wildcats have gained since the start of the half or else this game might get out of reach.

Rather than creating seperate game threads that get no more than 3-4 posts each, I figured I would make a thread devoted to all of the games of the Maui Invitational Championship Round games that start tomorrow.

For anybody looking for information on the tournament, you can check out the official website:

http://www.mauiinvitational.com/

Tomorrow's games are:

UCLA vs. Chaminade (9:30PM EST)

Georgetown vs. Kansas (Midnight EST)

Tennessee vs. Duke (5:30 PM EST)

Michigan vs. Memphis (3PM EST)

The winner of the UCLA-Chaminade game faces the winner of Georgetown-Kansas and the winner of Duke-Tennessee plays the winner of Michigan-Memphis.

Michigan is currently up 53-41 over Memphis with about 12 minutes to play in the 2nd half.

Barton is really struggling for Memphis with just 9 points on 3-10 shooting and he also has 3 fouls.

For Michigan, Hardaway Jr. has 11 points and 3 assists on 4-7 shooting and Burke has 11 points and 2 assists on 5-9 shooting.

Anybody who wants to watch, just go to:

http://www.firstrowsports.tv

and look under basketball.

Michigan looks to have iced it. Up 70-56 with about 2:30 left.

Memphis really shot themselves in the foot just now. They let Michigan run the shot clock down to about 8 seconds left and then committed a silly reach in foul. If the game wasn't over before that, it certainly is now.