Breaking news: Matt Schaub out for season

Dash

AdamSchefter Adam Schefter

Filed to ESPN: Texans quarterback Matt Schaub is out for the season with a lis franc injury. Matt Leinart from here on in.

Also Kubiak hasn't ruled out him out for the season just yet but I'm not getting my hopes up.

Also Kubiak hasn't ruled out him out for the season just yet but I'm not getting my hopes up.

I hope he does, I really don't buy Schuab being out for the season the Texans are to close to the playoffs for him to pull something like this. Not blaming him for his injury but if Leinart isn't what the coaches think he will be then Schaub needs to suck it up put a boot on and play

Optimistic Leinart article, sounds like he's done some growing.

Matt Leinart’s seen how Brooks Reed has produced for the Texans since Mario Williams went down.

He said in a conference call with reporters Monday evening he’s hoping to fill in for Matt Schaub with similar success.

The Texans have said Schaub is getting further examines on his foot, but that he’s out for sure for the team’s next game, Nov. 27 at Jacksonville. Adam Schefter reports the lis franc injury is a season-ender for Schaub.

Leinart joined the Texans for the 2010 season and was third in line behind Schaub and Dan Orlovsky. He liked things so much that while he might have been able to find a situation that could have got him on the field sooner, he re-signed and came back as Schaub’s primary backup, ahead of rookie T.J. Yates.

“I’m really bummed for Matt,” he said of Schaub. “..Btu he knows and everyone knows in this profession things happen and the next guy has to step up and that’s my job, my responsibility as a quarterback, to take his place right now and to help this team win.”

“It’s a great opportunity and I’m on a great football team and I love these guys and I’m just excited about the chance.”

Leinart sounds like he believes he’s a different guy than the first-round draft pick who did not pan out in Arizona.

He loves working with Schaub and has high praise for coach Gary Kubiak, offensive coordinator Rick Dennison and quarterback coach Greg Knapp.

“The quarterback coaching here is second to none, it’s unbelievable.” Leinart said. “I think that’s why Matt has been able to be so successful and efficient for years now.”

It’s demanding in a way he said is intended to bring out the best in a quarterback and that’s how it should work for him now that he’s older and more mature. His job now is to trust what the coaches tell him, manage the offense and be efficient.

He’s worked hard on his footwork, and it’s supposed to help steer him to throw the ball to the right place.

The offense should be the same, as he shares strengths with Schaub.

“That’s something I’ve always been comfortable with, in college we ran (bootleg) all the time, as much as we do here,” he said. “And it’s part of the reason why I love this offense so much. At Arizona, we weren’t a big boot-action, play-action and boot-pass team at all. Obviously here with the way we run the ball so well, that’s a huge part of our offense and that’s something that I really feel comfortable doing.”

A healthy stable of weapons expected to include Andre Johnson after a long-stretch out with a hamstring injury will help Leinart a great deal, and the team can continue to lean on running backs Arian Foster and Ben Tate.

“I imagine now defenses are going to try to make me throw the ball to win,” he said. “We’ve got some great guys on the outside to do that… It’s going to be fun. Matt is the leader of this team and he got us to this position.

“I told Gary, we’ll just continue to go and win for him and keep this thing going forward.”

http://espn.go.com/blog/afcsouth/post/_/id/30692/leinart-expecting-success-as-texans-qb

Edited by Dash

Optimistic Leinart article, sounds like he's done some growing.

http://espn.go.com/blog/afcsouth/post/_/id/30692/leinart-expecting-success-as-texans-qb

After reading this article I'm a little bit more confident with Leinart in the backfield but I want Schuab back there obviously. I still think well win the games we are supposed because of our D and our run game I just hope Leinart finds Andre, Foster, Daniels, etc... the same way Schuab would.

Forever 8-8s?

Nah we're getting Andre back soon, our defense is still top notch, our offensive linemen is still one of the best around too, and we're a running team anyways. Plus we have a pretty easy schedule for the rest of the season. With all that at his disposal, Leinart just has to play average and we're fine.

Brett Favre. What a dream scenario for him, arguably best wr/rb/o-line/defense in the league... Just saying Houston with a capable QB is a super bowl contender, without one are out of the playoffs in the first round! Favre and the Texans benefit from one another. 6 games left, perfect for Favre so he wouldnt have to take the physcial beat down of a full 16+game schedule. If Shaub is out for the entire year, the Texans should really give it some thought.