"Tenative Agreement" reached in NBA Lockout

fish7718

It's funny, because after I heard the news, all the hate I had for David Stern, Billy Hunter and other prominent figures in the discussion evaporated. I guess that's how much I love basketball and how much I want it back.

With that said, if the loss of 16 games this season can bring a more balanced environment for teams to compete in the long-run, I am all for it.

Details on the MLE:

It was perhaps the thorniest “system” issue of all — the one the players were willing to go to war over: Should teams that pay the luxury tax have access to the full mid-level exception, worth $5 million per year over four seasons? The owners had proposed banning any tax team from using the full mid-level and instead allowing them to use a “mini” mid-level worth $3 million per year over three seasons. The players, knowing how many of them get their career-making contract via the mid-level and how many benefit from the leverage that comes when every team can offer it, wanted something better.

Here’s what they got, according to a source familiar with the deal:

• Every team can use the full mid-level exception, provided doing so does not take the team more than $4 million over the tax line.

• Sounds great for the players, right? Here’s the rub: If you use the full mid-level to get to or approach that barrier looming $4 million over the tax line, you cannot cross it by re-signing your own free agents via Larry Bird Rights. You can cross it to sign rookies or guys on veteran minimum contracts.

Let’s use a real world example: The Celtics have about $66 million in salary committed to seven players next season, putting them about $4 million under last year’s tax line of $70.3 million, which we’ll use as a projected tax level for the upcoming season. Using the full mid-level on, say, Jason Richardson, would take the Celtics’ payroll to $71 million–over the tax line. Under the owners’ old proposal, Boston would have thus been prohibited from using the full mid-level.

Under the current proposal — the one to which the two sides have tentatively agreed — Boston could offer the full mid-level to Richardson. But they would leave themselves only about $3 million of room with which to sign their own free agents — Glen Davis and Jeff Green being the headliners — using Larry Bird Rights. In other words: Using the full mid-level would likely mean losing both Green and Davis.

The Celtics could continue spending beyond that $4 million barrier provided they do so via non-Bird deals — veteran minimum contracts, for instance. It is unlikely the Celtics could ink either Davis or Green — young guys seeking a payday — with minimum contracts. They might be able to persuade a ring-chasing veteran for that amount, though.

In effect, the compromise here is that teams just under the tax level must choose between using the full mid-level or re-signing their own free agents to fair-market deals. It will be interesting to see how this plays out. It is unclear how many teams this would impact each season. In order to be impact, teams would have to be:

1) near the tax line;

2) interested in using the mid-level;

3) interested in re-signing a key free agent or two.

As an important aside, the same threshold — $4 million over the tax — applies to sign-and-trade transactions, those much-loathed combination deals in which teams re-sign their own free agents to Bird-level deals and then trade them. The owners initially wanted to prohibit such deals, but have decided to allow them, provided they don’t take either team involved more than $4 million over the tax line. (Teams already spending more than that amount would be prohibited from using sign-and-trades that beef up their payroll, it appears).

We’ll be learning more and more about all of this over the next few days.

http://nba-point-forward.si.com/2011/11/26/the-mid-level-and-bird-rights/

It starts on Christmas? Perfect timing.

Yeah, especially since Bron and Wade will be watching Dirk get his ring. :lol:

OTR is saved.

What, you didn't enjoy reading me talk about college ball to myself? :lol:

For anybody looking for details on the deal, check out Chris Sheridan's website.

http://sheridanhoops.com/2011/11/26/nba-lockout-agreement-settlement-details/

• Like 1

Owners really made some key concessions in order for this deal to work such as the Melo sign and trade rule, MLE, rookie contracts, and BRI split. I'm very interested in seeing how they negotiate the "B-list items" such as the One and done rule for the draft. I like where the age limit is at right now, I really hope they don't extend it to two years in college.

I find it funny though that Stern, Silver, and the rest of the owners were so adamant about parity, yet they still manage to open the season with big market teams facing each other.

Very happy this is over though, I cannot wait for December 9th. Let's get OTR active again.

Sheridan reports that there will be an amnesty.

The new collective bargaining agreement will include an amnesty provision.

This will allow each team to cut one player from their roster and have that salary not count against their salary cap or luxury tax.

Pointless for teams like the Rockets/Thunder but whatever.

Good news for BFT:

WojYahooNBA Adrian Wojnarowski

People keep asking about draft age rule: Still needs to be negotiated, but several team executives believe it will remain the one-and-done.

Edited by Dash

Yeah, especially since Bron and Wade will be watching Dirk get his ring. :lol:

What, you didn't enjoy reading me talk about college ball to myself? :lol:

For anybody looking for details on the deal, check out Chris Sheridan's website.

http://sheridanhoops.com/2011/11/26/nba-lockout-agreement-settlement-details/

I look forward to seeing them get their rings. Gives us some more inspiration, this is our year babyyy!!

• Owner

Just bundling everything together...

Some NBA CBA details: five year max years (contracts) with Bird Rights, four years if non-Bird. Max salary, one level, 30% of cap. No hard cap. Amnesty clause is very likely (the ability to waive one player, no matter the contract length or amount). Sign and trades are still a go for all teams in the NBA, no matter the cap situation, at least for the first two years of the CBA. Tougher luxury tax penalty implemented after the first two seasons of the new agreement. No reduction on rookie scale or minimum contracts. All-Star Weekend will still be held in Orlando, and won't be canceled.

Good news for BFT:

Actually, the age limit may be increased. It just won't take effect this season.

The NBA and Players Association are discussing the formation of a committee to study the age minimum for the league’s draft with the possibility that no immediate changes to the “one-and-done” rule will come in the finalization of the new collective bargaining agreement, a league official told Yahoo! Sports.

“Only the agreement to have the committee may be part of the new CBA,” the source said. “I doubt it will have any affect on the 2012 draft.”

Within the NBA, there’s a growing movement to create a rule similar to Major League Baseball, which requires college players to stay three years before becoming eligible for the draft. Some NBA teams have suggested a system in which the age minimum for the draft would be 20. Under that scenario, non-international players also would have to wait until two years after their senior high school class has graduated.

The proposed committee would look at a system that would permit high school players to declare for the draft, and if players aren’t selected, they can retain eligibility and still play college basketball. Those players would have to wait two years to re-enter the draft. And once any player enters college, he has to wait two years until he can play in the NBA.

Nevertheless, many league basketball executives are satisfied with the current “one-and-done rule.” NBA rules allow players to enter the NBA Developmental League directly out of high school.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_ylt=ArSQd6O72znBV_S8YNmo1wu8vLYF?slug=aw-wojnarowski_nba_draft_rule_112611

Either way, I'm happy as long as the Raptors don't get [expletive]ed over yet again. They already got screwed out of Allen Iverson and Kevin Durant/Greg Oden (who knows, maybe he has better luck with Toronto and him and Bosh become one of the best big man duos in the league). If they got screwed out of Anthony Davis this season, I just may have to go on a killing spree, starting with David Stern and Billy Hunter.

There may also be a wrinkle to the amnesty clause that wasn't originally talked about.

• A modified waiver process will be utilized for players waived pursuant to the Amnesty rule, under which teams with Room under the Cap can submit competing offers to assume some but not all of the player’s remaining contract. If a player’s contract is claimed in this manner, the remaining portion of the player’s salary will continue to be paid by the team that waived him.

Sounds pretty cool to me. I like it better than simply cutting the player and then him having free reign to choose where he wants to play. This could enable some small market teams to get some bargins on talented, yet overpaid, players.

It isn't set in stone, but I really like it and hope it makes its way into the final deal.

Edited by Built Ford Tough