Mike Miller Undergoes Hernia Surgery; Out at Least a Month

Built Ford Tough

Miller is expected to miss at least a month after undergoing hernia surgery recently, teammate Udonis Haslem revealed Thursday.

Miller confirmed to ESPN.com that he underwent surgery Tuesday.

"I'm doing better," Miller said in a text message. "When it rains it pours. I just can't catch a break right now."

Miller did not attend the first day of unsupervised workouts at the Heat's facility. Haslem said Miller could be out up to eight weeks.

"I know Mike. He's a strong guy, he's going to stay positive and he's going to get back as soon as he can," Haslem said. "The key with Mike is, we've got to fight him not to get back too fast. He's going to want to be out there. He's going to want to play. He's got to just pace himself and get healthy."

It's hard to imagine the surgery coming at a worse time for the sharpshooter. Not only would eight weeks sideline him through the start of the season on Dec. 25, but it could mean his days in a Heat uniform are over.

Under the tentative collective bargaining agreement, teams can use an amnesty provision that would allow the team to release a player and remove his salary off the books. Under the rules, teams still would be required to pay the player's contract, but it would provide salary-cap relief. Miller was seen as an amnesty candidate for the Heat, because he is owed $24 million in the next four seasons and on the books for $5.4 million this season.

Releasing Miller would free up considerable cap space for the Heat, enabling them to target more expensive players in free agency, which is set to open Dec. 9.

The procedure marks the third surgery for the 31-year-old since the end of last season, and his fourth in the past year.

http://espn.go.com/nba/truehoop/miamiheat/story/_/id/7303236/mike-miller-miami-heat-hernia-surgery-least-month

I think it is safe to say that his time in Miami is over. This is his 3rd surgery of the offseason and 4th in the last year.

Sure, a hernia isn't really something you can predict, but his body just seems to be failing him and considering how vital it is for the Heat to get a center, I just don't see them taking the chance that he will be able to stay healthy. Given their cap situation, it is a risk that I don't see them being willing to take.

I know using the amnesty is the logical way of going about things, but you can't help but to look at how thin Miami is depth wise. James Jones is an unrestricted FA as well, and you gotta believe that him getting benched in the Finals is haunting him. Spo rarely used him properly, and his minutes have always fluctuated. I can definitely see him leaving too.

Heat will use their MLE on a big man, but what's after that?

Exactly what I was thinking.. If the Heat lose Miller their bench is pretty much garbage. They have Haslemwho can get 8 ppg but who else? Only other player I see is Anthony as a decent center backup, which is only for defense. No bench depth whatsoever.