Heisley says Hakim Warrick set free for cap, not A.I.

Grizzlies owner Michael Heisley has a message for anyone who thinks the team's decision to cut ties with Hakim Warrick late last week was designed to free up additional funds for Allen Iverson.

"Absolutely not," Heisley said Saturday. "Iverson wasn't even part of the conversation."

Instead, by renouncing their $3 million qualifying offer to Warrick, a restricted free agent, the Grizzlies continued to stock up on the one commodity they have valued more than any other over the past two seasons: cap space. Heisley acknowledged as much.

"I think we decided we wanted some flexibility," Heisley said by phone from a business trip in Lebanon. "But the idea that there is a target is completely false. As for Iverson, I think he's trying to get with a team like L.A. (Clippers) or Miami or someone like that.

"Frankly, I've tried to tell everybody that I don't think we're at the top of Iverson's list, but no one wants to listen. All it is, we're basically opening up cap room for us."

http://www.commercialappeal.com/news/2009/jul/26/warrick-set-free-for-cap-not-ai/