Stein: Dallas Closing in on Signing Vince Carter

ESPNSteinLine Marc Stein

Sources tell ESPN that Mavs closing in on signing of Vince Carter and could have deal to reunite VC w/Jason Kidd done as early as Saturday

Maybe reuniting with Kidd will help Carter get his game back? He had some of his best years when playing with him.

Of course, he was much more athletic and explosive back then and if playing with Nash didn't help him get back on tract, I don't think playign with Kidd will make much of a difference either.

I have to admit that a part of me is looking forward to seeing how he plays in Dallas. Does he project to be the starting shooting guard?

• Like 1

• Owner

I'm not sure who they would start, otherwise. Isn't Cuban letting Stevenson go? Butler is gone (although he's a three). Jet is destined to come off the bench, not even sure if it matters who is starting anymore.

I'm really not too surprised at this signing...except, wasn't Vince sent out of Phoenix with the amnesty clause? He's not a UFA.

I'm really not too surprised at this signing...except, wasn't Vince sent out of Phoenix with the amnesty clause? He's not a UFA.

No, he wasn't.

The final year of his contract was for $18M, but only $4M of it was guaranteed. As long as the Suns waived him within 3 days of the beginning of free agency (at least I think it was 3 days, not 100% sure on the specifics), they were off the hook for the other $14M.

Bottom line, he wasn't amnesty cut. I am 100% sure on that.

• Like 1

Kidd

Carter

Marion

Dirk

Haywood

with Terry off the bench.

Could you imagine this team 5 years or so years ago? They would basically be the perfect mesh of skill sets.

Great perimeter defense in Kidd and Marion. Elite scoring duo between Carter and Dirk. Very good defensive anchor in Haywood. Elite rebounding from the perimeter between Kidd, Marion and Carter. Fantastic clutch play from Carter and Dirk.

Then add to all of that the dynamic scoring punch from Terry off of the bench.

Of course you can play this game with plenty of teams around the league. I just love the way that these skill sets would've meshed.

At this point, isn't VC a kiss of death?

Any team he goes to ends up getting worse.

Solid pickup, though. Fills a need in the rotation.

That isn't really fair.

The Magic lucked into the Finals by beating a KG-less Celtics team in 7 games and beating a one-man show in the Cavs. Is there really any doubt that had Garnett been healthy that they would've been in the Finals that year instead of the Magic? I don't think so.

Carter didn't play all that bad for the Magic, given how they used him. Everybody knows he isn't a spot up shooter, yet that is how he was used in Orlando, just like basically any other perimeter player. He still managed to put up around 16 points, 4 rebounds and 3 assists on 45 FG% and 36 3PT% in 30 minutes a game during his 102 games with the Magic. Not prime Carter numbers, but they aren't terrible by any means given his role on the team.

Did the Magic get worse after acquiring Carter? I guess if you want to get technical you can argue that they did since they never got back to the Finals after picking him up, but if you ask me they weren't any worse than they were prior to him. They just happened to not get the same luck with him.

As for Phoenix, he was a bad fit there, but they did just lose Amar'e to free agency and went out and overpaid for mediocore talent.

It is the same situation in Dallas. If they don't repeat as champions, which is likely going to be the case, is it because Carter is a kiss of death? To me, that would be very unfair, just like what happened in Orlando.

Edited by Built Ford Tough
  • Like 1