Lamar Odom to Mavs for 2012 1st Round Pick

The Lakers will trade Lamar Odom to the Mavericks for a traded player exception.

The move is not necessarily to pursue Dwight Howard, as sources say it is a "straight salary dump".

http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/217348/Odom_Dealt_To_Dallas_In_Straight_Salary_Dump#ixzz1gChxjFhr

Fantastic pickup for the Mavs after this whole CP3 fiasco made it obvious that Odom wouldn't be playing for the Lakers.

I really like what the Mavs have done this summer. Yeah, they lost Chandler, but they have added some really quality pieces and Haywood is more than capable of stepping into the starting center role.

EDIT: The Mavs are moving their 1st rounder this season in the deal, possibly a 2nd rounder as well:

Mike_Bresnahan Mike Bresnahan

Lakers will get the Mavs' first-round pick in 2012, maybe a second-rounder as well.

Edited by Built Ford Tough

Outside of Odom who else have they added?

Rudy Fernandez, potentially Vince Carter (low risk, decent reward signing), Sam Dalembert and have maintained their future flexibility.

It isn't just who they have added, though. I just like that they didn't overpay to keep players like Chandler, Butler or Barea. Chandler and Butler are both near or in their 30's and both have extensive injury pasts, so giving them high money, long term deals is risky at best, especially if you can replace them while saving money, which it seems like they have been able to do.

As for Barea, he isn't necessary on this team since he plays the exact same role as Jason Terry does. He is a liability defensively, streaky shooter and inconsistent as hell. A couple of good playoff games completely overrated him and the Mavs made a good decision not to overpay to retain him.

A lineup of:

Haywood/Dalembert

Dirk

Marion

Fernandez/Carter

Kidd

with Terry and Odom off the bench really isn't that much worse than what they put out last season and when you factor in how expensive it would've been to retain their team from last season, I just really like how they managed to still stay competitive while not handcuffing themselves into long term contracts.

Edited by Built Ford Tough

^ Rudy Fernandez, Andy Rautins and Brendan Wright. There isn't much doubt on them getting Dalembert as well though.

First of Rudy sucks. Rautins is a rookie so you cant say anything positive yet and the same basically goes for Wright as he hasnt got or hasnt earned the opportunity to play significant minutes yet.

While on the other end they have lost Chandler, Barea, Peja, and Stevenson. All players that were huge when it came to them winning a title.

So far they imo have only gotten worse.

Rudy Fernandez, potentially Vince Carter (low risk, decent reward signing), Sam Dalembert and have maintained their future flexibility.

It isn't just who they have added, though. I just like that they didn't overpay to keep players like Chandler, Butler or Barea. Chandler and Butler are both near or in their 30's and both have extensive injury pasts, so giving them high money, long term deals is risky at best, especially if you can replace them while saving money, which it seems like they have been able to do.

As for Barea, he isn't necessary on this team since he plays the exact same role as Jason Terry does. He is a liability defensively, streaky shooter and inconsistent as hell. A couple of good playoff games completely overrated him and the Mavs made a good decision not to overpay to retain him.

A lineup of:

Haywood/Dalembert

Dirk

Marion

Fernandez/Carter

Kidd

with Terry and Odom off the bench really isn't that much worse than what they put out last season and when you factor in how expensive it would've been to retain their team from last season, I just really like how they managed to still stay competitive while not handcuffing themselves into long term contracts.

In that manner i agree they have done well.

Don't forget they have Roddy B coming back...Mavs added some good versatility in the forward position with Odom and Fernandez. Only need a center BUT losing Chandler hurts big time. I think they will be good and could still go to the finals but without Chandler, they are going to have to win differently...he was too big an impact for them. If Roddy B can be a playmaker, that could be the way the Mavs get their mojo back.

I wasn't supporting his claim on getting quality players lol. I was merely stating who they have acquired/signed. No one in this world would say that Rautins and Wright are better than Butler and Chandler. Only Rudy out of the 3 would have a chance in getting some PT this season.

One person who aparently didn't like this:

Kobe Bryant on Lamar Odom trade: "I don't like it."

Kobe Bryant is not happy.

One of his closest friends on the Lakers, Lamar Odom, was traded Saturday night to Dallas for a first-round pick in the 2012 amateur draft, depriving the Lakers of their top rebounder and a solid character guy in the locker room.

"I don't like it," Bryant said Sunday. "I've known Lamar for a long time, and for the team itself, he's meant a lot in terms of his versatility, his personality. He's a big presence for us in the locker room, just from a team chemistry standpoint. He's great at bringing guys together and things of that nature. I trust management knows what they're doing. I let them do their jobs, I never get in the way but it's tough. You're talking about sixth man of the year last year. He played lights out."

http://lakersblog.latimes.com/lakersblog/2011/12/kobe-bryant-lamar-odom-trade.html?track=icymi