Chris Paul to the Clippers?

Lkr

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Owner

I blame Dan Gilbert.

I know you're trying to make a point, but in a way, you should blame him. It's the small-market owners that were so stubborn during the lockout, begging Stern to find a way to keep these superstars on their respective teams.

It's no coincidence that both LA deals (two different teams) fell through, even though one was for quite a bit of talent, and the other was for youth, an extremely good pick, and cap room.

Just like many others are saying on another board: Stern is doing this purposely. He's putting it out there that it takes a lot to rake in a superstar, that it shouldn't be just draft picks (ex. LeBron to Miami), that superstars should not dictate where they go while they are still under contract.

CP3 and Stern do not see eye-to-eye, at all...and that all started during the lockout. He's proving to the entire league that owners can have leverage, they can hold these superstars hostage, and that is the way to go about it all.

And who did this? Cleveland did, with LeBron. While LBJ didn't ask for a trade, you know he wanted it. He lied his ass off, but you know he wanted out before his final season. Cleveland kept him, and not too long ago, after one year of "suffering" with a bad record, they end up with the top pick in the draft AND the #4 pick.

So, yes...this is all going back to keeping the small market teams competitive. No other owner in the NBA would've passed on either of these deals, knowing that CP3 is gone in July. None. Stern wants to change that.

I know you're trying to make a point, but in a way, you should blame him. It's the small-market owners that were so stubborn during the lockout, begging Stern to find a way to keep these superstars on their respective teams.

It's no coincidence that both LA deals (two different teams) fell through, even though one was for quite a bit of talent, and the other was for youth, an extremely good pick, and cap room.

Just like many others are saying on another board: Stern is doing this purposely. He's putting it out there that it takes a lot to rake in a superstar, that it shouldn't be just draft picks (ex. LeBron to Miami), that superstars should not dictate where they go while they are still under contract.

CP3 and Stern do not see eye-to-eye, at all...and that all started during the lockout. He's proving to the entire league that owners can have leverage, they can hold these superstars hostage, and that is the way to go about it all.

And who did this? Cleveland did, with LeBron. While LBJ didn't ask for a trade, you know he wanted it. He lied his ass off, but you know he wanted out before his final season. Cleveland kept him, and not too long ago, after one year of "suffering" with a bad record, they end up with the top pick in the draft AND the #4 pick.

So, yes...this is all going back to keeping the small market teams competitive. No other owner in the NBA would've passed on either of these deals, knowing that CP3 is gone in July. None. Stern wants to change that.

Yes the small-market owners (notice how it's plural, meaning more than 1) were stubborn. And there were many owners (again, notice how it's plural) that were against the Lakers deal, yet everyone points the finger at Dan Gilbert because he e-mail that he sent Stern AFTER the deal was nixed got leaked, yet Dan Gilbert gets all the blame. So I might as well point the finger at Gilbert before anyone else has the chance to, because we all know it's all his fault. :rolleyes:

While Stern (well, Gilbert I guess) is holding off for a great deal for CP, why shouldn't he? I'm not a Stern supporter, but the deadline isn't until February right? What's the rush to take the first good deal on the table? Why not wait and see what else gets offered? I'm sure if you went to the Clippers in February they would still put together a good package, maybe even the same package they put together now.

The difference with LeBron and the Cavs is that the Cavs were actually contenders that year. Had the Cavs not been I'm sure things would have been different, but the Cavs finished with the best record and like you said, LBJ lied and kept them guessing and then spit in their face on national TV.

Why bother keeping small market teams competitive? Lets just get down to 6 or 8 teams of superstars and let them fight it out. The NBA is turning into a joke anyway so they might as well just go all out.

Edited by TheHutch

• Owner

Yes the small-market owners (notice how it's plural, meaning more than 1) were stubborn. And there were many owners (again, notice how it's plural) that were against the Lakers deal, yet everyone points the finger at Dan Gilbert because he e-mail that he sent Stern AFTER the deal was nixed got leaked, yet Dan Gilbert gets all the blame. So I might as well point the finger at Gilbert before anyone else has the chance to, because we all know it's all his fault. :rolleyes:

I think I made it clear that there were more than one. It just strikes me as funny that Dan Gilbert would, yet again, write a letter and get involved, and that's why I created the topic about him (sort of about him) in the Heat forum. Mark Cuban has been bitching for years. So has Popovich. However, those two are bitching because they absolutely, positively hate the Lakers. Both have a championship (Pop with four). Gilbert acts as if his Cavaliers are losing out in free agency when this happens, but we all know that Cleveland isn't the place to go, simple as that...and not just because of the city, but because Gilbert made an ass out of himself when he wrote his letter and posted it on the team's website.

While Stern (well, Gilbert I guess) is holding off for a great deal for CP, why shouldn't he? I'm not a Stern supporter, but the deadline isn't until February right? What's the rush to take the first good deal on the table? Why not wait and see what else gets offered? I'm sure if you went to the Clippers in February they would still put together a good package, maybe even the same package they put together now.

He's leading these teams on. I hate the Clips, hate the Celtics...but the truth is, Boston didn't have time for a Plan B to bring in David West, and they lost him to Indiana.

If this was a 82-game season, and we were in July, it would be different...but Christmas is just around the corner, TPE's from last season are going to expire very soon, and players/teams don't have much time to negotiate. He's allowing all of these trades to file into the NBA offices, then he's cancelling them...which is unheard of.

If he really cares, he would tell Dell Demps not to trade CP3, or tell him what exactly CP3 is worth. Letting the trade go all the way through, then demanding another pick and a star player, is just David Stern being an ass.

The difference with LeBron and the Cavs is that the Cavs were actually contenders that year. Had the Cavs not been I'm sure things would have been different, but the Cavs finished with the best record and like you said, LBJ lied and kept them guessing and then spit in their face on national TV.

Chris Bosh and the Raptors, then...doesn't matter. It works with any team that has had trouble keeping their superstars.

Why bother keeping small market teams competitive? Lets just get down to 6 or 8 teams of superstars and let them fight it out. The NBA is turning into a joke anyway so they might as well just go all out.

Name me more than six contenders from the 1986 NBA season. Only six teams were 50+ wins. The contenders were BOS, LAL, MIL and HOU. Maybe the Sixers. Everyone else didn't stand a chance.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/leagues/NBA_1986.html

Last year? DAL, MIA, OKC, CHI...maybe the Lakers, if Kobe was healthy. Looks similar to me.

Deal off?

Sources: Clippers' deal for Chris Paul off

A seemingly imminent Chris Paul trade has collapsed for the second time in five days. Sources close to the situation told ESPN.com that the league-owned New Orleans Hornets and the Los Angeles Clippers could not complete their proposed Paul trade because the Clippers ultimately decided the NBA's asking price for the All-Star guard was too high.

On Thursday, NBA commissioner David Stern vetoed a three-team trade agreement struck by the Hornets, Los Angeles Lakers and Houston Rockets to send Paul to the Lakers.

At the NBA's direction, sources said, New Orleans was insisting upon the inclusion of both shooting guard Eric Gordon and Minnesota's unprotected 2012 first-round draft choice in addition to former All-Star center Chris Kaman and prospects Al-Farouq Aminu and Eric Bledsoe.

http://espn.go.com/los-angeles/nba/story/_/id/7345461/new-orleans-hornets-chris-paul-los-angeles-clippers-trade-dies-price-too-high-sources-say

ESPNSteinLine Marc Stein

Clippers might decide THEY no longer want to be part of CP3 trade process. But from NBA perspective, sources say, talks w/Clippers not over

Adrian Wojnarowski

WojYahooNBA Adrian Wojnarowski

Y! Sources: Hornets GM Dell Demps a "spectator" in basketball decisions. Stern's deputies running Chris Paul talks. tinyurl.com/csvvq6a

Marc Stein

ESPNSteinLine Marc Stein

One source close to process tells ESPN that NBA does not see talks w/Clippers as over. NBA still "hopeful" CP3 fate will be "resolved soon"

KBergCBS Ken Berger

While Clips balked at steep price for Paul, league execs were still negotiating with the team within the past couple of hours, source says.

KBergCBS Ken Berger

A person in contact with executives involved says league office is trying to revive Chris Paul-to-Clippers talks.

KBergCBS Ken Berger

While Clips balked at steep price for Paul, league execs were still negotiating with the team within the past couple of hours, source says.

KBergCBS Ken Berger

A person in contact with executives involved says league office is trying to revive Chris Paul-to-Clippers talks.

I just want something to happen already.

• Like 2

Pathetic on David Stern part after Clippers walk away Stern is trying to make one list pitch to the Clippers so his ass can be saved from be hit with court papers tomorrow from the NBPA. Hopefully Clippers walks away because this guy is on a power trip and needs to be removed immediately.

And as I just wrote that I'm glad the Clippers walked away have a nice day being in court soon Stern

After waking up this morning, after being pissed about getting Billups, I think I am really ok with this deal. If Billups buys into the team concept, I will be very happy with the outcome.

I guess my inner child got the best of me. I was only thinking along the lines of losing CP3 for an aging star. I still believe it's a typical Clippers move but we'll see how it pans out. 2 million isn't much so it isn't like a big investment.

I said I thought we'd get to play-offs this season and having Billups won't hurt us...Unless he keeps his promise but again, we'll see.

I kinda lost the enthusiasm for CP3 at the moment but still hoping the commish comes to his senses. Now I can go back to finishing my mix.

I heard its dead. LAC waiting for Stern to lower his trade request. I hope Neil thinks very hard not to include Gordon that would be a mistake. Stern also wants two 1st rounder. I don't think so!

Ramona Shelburne:

"Mo Williams admits to being disappointed Clippers pursued CP3, and grabbed Chauncey, but says he's a team guy and will be OK".

Mo needs to realize that it's bigger than him. He doesn't know it yet but as a 6th man a la Terry he will REALLY thrive with his offensive explosiveness.