Preseason: Boston at Toronto

Since Real Deal hasn't created a game thread for the games today, and I can't make threads in the Gameday forum, I figured I'd throw this in the Raptors forum right now.

Game starts in 10 minutes or so and is on Sportsnet.

Raptors starting lineup:

C: Jamaal Magloire

PF: Andrea Bargnani

SF: James Johnson

SG: DeMar DeRozan

PG: Jose Calderon

Celtics starting lineup

C: Jermaine O'Neal

PF: Kevin Garnett

SF: Marquis Daniels

SG: Ray Allen

PG: Rajon Rondo

Edited by Built Ford Tough

No worries.

I would've made the other ones, but I figured you would be on before they tipped off. I only made this one because the game was about to start.

I'm actually really looking forward to this game, even if it is preseason and going to be some ugly, ugly basketball.

My bad on the C's starting lineup. I read that Pierce was starting when in fact Marquis Daniels is starting. Pierce didn't make the trip due to a minor injury.

The Raptors new court design is UGLY.

Especially those ridiculous 3-D Raptor signs on the baseline. :lol:

I like how they are playing defensively to start the game. DeRozan and Bargnani had a nice trap on Allen in the corner to cause a turnover, James Johnson with a nice help side block on JO and Bargnani had grabbed 2 boards already, although he just completely lost KG underneath the basket for a wide open dunk.

DeRozan with the corner 3. Very pleased to see that from him.

Bayless not looking very good to start the game. He is playing a bit out of control and forcing things which is leading to wild shots and poor passes. He need to keep it simple like he just did on that final possession where he drove past his man and found an open Amir for the easy bounce pass. That is how he is going to get minutes and stay on the floor, not forcing wild layups like he was doing earlier.

Speaking of Amir, he definitely looks a lot bigger than last season. He is still a power forward and by no means a legit center, but he is no longer a noticeably undersized.

Raptors team defense is looking good, but they are still struggling at guarding their own man. That is still an improvement over last season when they were abysmal both team and man.

Of course it is just 1 quarter of a preseason game following a shortened training camp, so I'm not going to read too much into anything that I see all day, let alone just the 1st quarter.

Raptors offense looks putrid right now.

You can really tell that around 80-90% of training camp was focused on the defensive end of the floor because the Raptors look completely out of sync offensively.

Barbosa is the only one who is really able to create anything right now. That is likely because he is the only Raptor who was playing competitive ball during the summer.

Bargnani gets an offensive rebound and then draws the foul to get to the line.

On the next possession he draws an offensive foul on Daniels.

I don't think that sequence happened one time last season. :lol:

DeRozan with his 2nd corner three of the half as well. Hopefully he can stick that shot consistently as it would really help the team with its spacing as Bargnani is really the only 3 point threat on the team and you don't want him settling.

Garnett trying to get into Bargs' head with trash talk, but Bargnani isn't backing down. Nice to see him not letting it bother him and just playing his game.

The funny part is that Bargnani is actually getting whatever he wants when Garnett is guarding him. I know he only has 5 points in the quarter, but he has beat Garnett off the dribble 2 or 3 times, drew a foul and hit a three over him. Meanwhile, Garnett has scored 4 of his 6 points in the quarter when the Raptors switched on the pick and had Calderon on him.

Of course, Garnett could get lit up for 60 points and he would still be yapping. :lol:

Beautiful pass from Bayless to Davis underneath. That was an absolute bullet between two Celtics to find Davis. He wasn't able to finish off the pass so Bayless didn't get the assist, but Davis managed to tip in his own miss.

I really wish that they would give him more opportunities on offense. I get that he doesn't exactly have a refined post game or reliable jumper, but he has a nice touch around the rim and does a great job of getting himself into great positions to score. He just never gets the ball unless it is on a broken play or offensive rebound.

Hopefully as the season starts and the team gets more comfortable with Casey's system he will see his role offensively increase.

I'm really liking what I have seen from Bargnani in this game, though. He has been battling for rebounds, showing energy defensive by showing hard on picks and then rotating back to his man underneath. He has gottent to the line 7 times and isn't just settling for jump shots on offense.

He has 14 points and 8 rebounds, 2 of which are offensive. I really hope he plays with this kind of energy all season long. You know that Casey will constantly be on him and won't put up with lapses in energy like Triano did.

This sucks. I can't find this game on any of the League Pass channels. Usually, I'm always a couple days late ordering LP, so...do they never show preseason games?

You can try watching it here:

http://www.firstrowsports.tv/watch/98703/1/watch-toronto-raptors-vs-boston-celtics.html

Raptors blow a defensive assignment leading to a wide open Celtic for an easy layup.

Camera zooms in on Casey just in time for everybody to see him yell:

"[expletive]ing god dammit!"

I think it might be more entertaining seeing Casey's reactions to the Raptors lousy defense than watching the actual games this year. :lol:

Davis is doing a great job on the offensive glass in this game. Three put backs and he has 10 points and 8 boards now.

I like what I have seen from Forbes so far. I thought he was another chucker who just came in and did nothing but look for his own shot, but he has actually played a solid game. He has done a nice job of making decisions with the ball and not just forcing his own offense. He has had 3 occasions this game where he could've easily took a fairly open shot but instead passed it a teammate for an even better shot.

He has also played well defensively.

Him and JJ are a nice compliment to each other at the small forward spot. Neither one are likely to be the long term answer, but I like what I have seen from both of them today.

Johnson (on Boston) with a nice forearm to Amir's throat on the clear out when going to the hoop. Glad Amir is fine as that was pretty dirty.

I am absolutely loving Bargnani's PnR defense right now. He is doing an awesome job of hedging and then quickly rotating back to his man to prevent an easy layup.

I just hope he can do this against teams starting lineups as opposed to the end of the bench scrubs that Boston has on the floor right now.

So any concerns I might have had about not getting a top pick completely evaporated after watching this game.

I saw some good things from some Raptor players, but at the end of the day, the Celtics 3rd unit consisting of guys like E'Twan Moore, JaJuan Johnson and some random white dude who looked like he should be playing soccer not basketball, ended up getting the Celtics the victory despite the fact that the Raptors had their best players on the court down the stretch.

It was just good to see Raptors basketball again, even if it was some ugly, ugly ball.