Fedor signed with Strikeforce

Guest N4S

• Owner

It doesn't make sense to me. Fedor is rumored to be the greatest MMA fighter alive. He'd be undefeated if not for a fluke loss.

So why not stand on the grandest stage for MMA fighters (in the United States and Canada, at least) and prove your value?

Is this dude scared of the UFC?

What the eff.

I posted this on another forum where people were going around saying that Fedor is scared to fight in the UFC, and don't feel like retyping something that is basically saying the same thing so I am just going to copy it here:

I don't get how a guy that has fought and beat fighters like Antonio Rodrigo Nogueria three times (well one was a no decision), Mirko Cro Cop in his prime, Mark Coleman, Mark Hunt, Babalu, Kevin Randleman, Tim Sylvia (albeit a past his prime Sylvia), Andrei Arlovski (ranked as the 2nd best HW before they fought if I recall correctly) and Matt Lindland and who was also supposed to fight Josh Barnett (number 2 ranked HW) before Barnett tested positive for roids.

So how exactly is Fedor scared? I agree that the UFC has the better HW division than StrikeForce does, but Overeem is no slouch at all and a very dangerous fighter (he is just as dangerous as Lesnar is if you ask me. This is a bad dude) and he can also have potential fights with Brett Rogers and Fabrico Werdum, both of whom aren't complete cans as much as some people try to make you believe. Werdum is one of the best HW fighters in the world at fighting off of his back and is a very similar fighter to Frank Mir (not as good, but same style, Werdum might be better off of his back than Mir though).

I am pissed that Fedor didn't sign with the UFC as I would've loved to see him and Brock fight each other, as well as potential fights against the likes of Randy Couture and a rematch with Mirko and things like that, but to say that a guy who has faced some of the best HW's of all time while they were in their prime like Big Nog and Cro Cop and beat them convincingly is scared to go into the UFC and fight guys like Junior Dos Santos, Cain Valasquez, Shane Carwin, Frank Mir, Randy Couture and Brock Lesnar is absurd if you ask me.

Also, another poster on that same forum posted this, which is a very good post as well:

Fedor isn't scared of anybody.

Vadim Finkelstein is, since M-1 really resides on Fedor's shoulders. Now, if Fedor loses, the mystique is gone. Note how he wanted to handpick someone like Rogers to fight Fedor once Barnett 'roided himself out of 8/1.

Basically, the UFC's offer was great and probably better then Strikeforce's (financially), it just didn't allow for co-promotion. Since Fedor owns parts of M-1, that was the deal breaker.

As it is, I'm disappointed because I wanted Fedor in the UFC, but as is, at least he's fighting. 3 fights from now, the UFC - Fedor connection will try to resurface, and it will go through the exact same process, with Fedor never stepping into the Octagon.

It doesn't make sense to me. Fedor is rumored to be the greatest MMA fighter alive. He'd be undefeated if not for a fluke loss.

So why not stand on the grandest stage for MMA fighters (in the United States and Canada, at least) and prove your value?

From apart of what another poster said, which I posted just above you:

Basically, the UFC's offer was great and probably better then Strikeforce's (financially), it just didn't allow for co-promotion. Since Fedor owns parts of M-1, that was the deal breaker.

That basically sums it up and explains as simply as possible why Fedor signed with StrikeForce and not the UFC. SF was willing to co-promote while the UFC was not. As much as I hate it, no co-promotion with M-1 = no Fedor.

No Fedor, ever, then...because I don't ever seen M-1 co-promoting with UFC.

:(

Pretty much.

The only way that we will ever see Fedor vs. Lesnar fight is if the UFC does what they did with Chuck Liddell back in 2003. Despite being under contract by the UFC, they allowed Liddell to go and compete in Pride Final Conflict 2003 in the Middleweight Grand Prix. I don't see Dana ever doing this though, because the only other time he did it, with Chuck, Liddell was beat by Rampage Jackson and took a bit of a hit. I doubt Dana would take the chance and have Lesnar lose against Fedor because it would make the UFC's Heavyweight belt lose credability.

• Owner

I still think Lesnar is a fluke.

He may be, because standing up, he's still pretty vulnerable to anything.

But once he gets someone on the ground, he's no joke. It's not really just his size, but his technical wrestling.

If someone beats Lesnar in the near future, it'll be from a knockout punch. I'm not sure if he'll get caught in a submission again (like he did with Mir).